1996 explorer blower motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer blower motor

Spazwell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
I have what is now for all purposes a 96 Explorer. My blower motor for the air is intermitten at best. Usually when I start the vehicle the air will not come on but if I have the A/C on I can hear the compressor working and feel just a light breeze of cold air comming out of the vents, "on a hot day it's just enough to drive you nuts". If I continue to drive leaving all the air on, it will usually start blowing air later on. I have noticed that sometimes if I hit a bump it will come on, or if I drive fast enough I can feel more air comming thru the vent , then it starts to work. I cant help but get the feeling that the blower motor is going out and all I'm doing is jump starting the blower motor, "for the lack of a better term". I was thinking control switches but I hear the compressor come on when I select it "switch on the right side" and when the air does come on I can select the speed with no problem "switch on the left side". Another strainge thing is, when the air does come on, I switch the right switch to MAX A/C and it works for a while then the damn thing switches to defroster by itself. I have to select other settings before getting the air to come thru the vents again then switch back to just A/C. I dont know if that would have anything to do with the other issues, I could be dealing with a multi-issues. I'm living in Texas so I need to get this fixed soon, before I run down the road at 100 miles an hour trying to get all the cold air I can out of the vents or play bumper cars with the other motorist trying to jump start or jar loose the blower motor. . Any help would be great. Thanks :)

welcome

For the blower motor issue, first check the blower relay and fuse. Remove the blower relay and check the connector inside the relay box for burned wiring. If it is only slightly discolored it is probably ok.

If this checks, you may want to check the blower resistor pack. It's located on the blower motor housing --look for a bundle of wires entering the housing. Unplug the connector, and remove the resistor pack.

For the switching vents--this may help

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192842&highlight=defrost+duct

The vent function is vacuum controlled.

Thank you for your response Turdle. I found that the blower motor issue was an intermittent relay (which is not found in a normal maintenance manual like chiltons or haynse) that is located behind the passenger side head light. None of the chasis or engine wiring diagrams show the blower motor system and the section that deals with the blower motor is basic. As far as the vent to defrost is concerned, you hit it right on the head. I didn't work hard to find it though. As I was on the mad search for a relay that I knew had to exist for the blower motor I stumbled on a vacuum line that had been disconnected, lol, so I connected it and called it a day. I have turned this explorer into an automatic and four wheel drive as well as changing all the wiring over to a 96, basicaly rebuilding it, but I know very little on how the vacuum control works with the A/C. Thanks again:thumbsup:

Back