• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1997 5R55E Reoccurring P0761 Fault

JK080

Transmission Moderator
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 F250 6.0
Servos covers can be tough to get out on other transmissions too, one thing you can try is to use a sharp flat screw driver and hammer on the cover and work it back and forth. Now this is easy on covers that have a area that you can get a groove or flat surface to hit on, but on this particular cover it is smooth and does not have a spot to hit against.
With a file you may be able to create a groove on the smooth machined area around the cover on two sides enough to get the screw driver to hang on. You may be able to work it out like that.
I have never done this with this transmission because at this point the transmission is usually on my table and I can drive them out from the inside once it apart.
Try this first before ripping back into the pan maybe you will get lucky.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I like your thinking! I'll certainly give it a go, nothing to lose at this point.

When I was tapping (hammering the backside of a steel rod) on the cover, I came at it from behind the right UCA. I think if I take the whole inner fender out, I may be able to get even better access.
20201017_190609.jpg

I'll keep after it and see how crafty I can get tomorrow morning!

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
With a file you may be able to create a groove on the smooth machined area around the cover on two sides enough to get the screw driver to hang on. You may be able to work it out like that.
It wasn't easy, but I followed your advice and got the cover out. Filed a groove into the cover then spun it 90 degrees with a punch and hammer and filed another groove. Repeated until I had 4 slots wide enough for my pin spanner. I then spun the cover around and around and it gradually crept outward. Eventually it hung out enough for me to work a pick into the o-ring groove an pry the cover out.
20201018_153207Cropped.jpg

20201018_153223.jpg

When I got the cover off, the servo was left sticking out, so I pulled it out too. Hope the strut did't fall out of place...

To my surprise, I didn't see any damage present on the servo.
20201018_153234.jpg
20201018_153242.jpg

Looking in the bore was equally uneventful.
20201018_152827cropped.jpg

20201018_153048cropped.jpg

20201018_152848.jpg

See anything obvious that I'm overlooking? After the VB upgrades, new solenoids, and a seemingly okay OD band adjustment, I was expecting the servo would be my smoking gun for no 2nd and 5th. Now I'm really wondering...

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
With the absence of obvious servo damage, I'm leaning towards putting everything back together as it was.

EDIT: Don't do this. Heavier spring will just make it harder to engage the OD servo -- not what you want if you're already unable to engage OD.
One thing I am wondering; is there any reason to replace the original OD servo return spring with one of the springs from the Superior kit? The instructions say the springs are for the intermediate servo (pink for 4r55 and blue for 5r55), but is it possible one of the springs could help the OD piston too? It looks to me like the pink is practically the same size as the stock OD servo return spring.
20201019_183339.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:

JK080

Transmission Moderator
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 F250 6.0
Bummer the servo isn't blown out, does the servo have any resistance in the cover or does it just fall right in, I have seen these servos damn near turn to plastic and lose its ability to seal and not be able to apply the band.

Put the servo in the cap and pinch the two holes with your fingers and try to pull the servo out of the cap, if it has a good seal it shouldn't come out or at least be tough.

I would leave the spring alone it wouldn't be helping the situation with a heavier spring.

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Bummer the servo isn't blown out
I know! It isn't often that I hope to find something broken, but at this point, I was looking forward to uncovering a definitive point of failure.

does the servo have any resistance in the cover or does it just fall right in, I have seen these servos damn near turn to plastic and lose its ability to seal and not be able to apply the band.

Put the servo in the cap and pinch the two holes with your fingers and try to pull the servo out of the cap, if it has a good seal it shouldn't come out or at least be tough.
I'd say the servo has moderate resistance. It doesn't fall right into the cover, but pushes in fairly easily. With the servo in the cap and the holes pinched, it's somewhat tough to pull straight out, but as soon as the shaft becomes even slightly misaligned, the seal is breached and the servo pulls right out. That seems normal to me, but I also don't have any point of reference.

The sealing material does not seem overly hard, but again, I don't have anything to compare it to. The lip on the inner edge is pliable and does not crack when I push on it if that's any indicator.

Since these servos aren't terribly expensive, I'm more than willing to try a replacement. Do you have a recommended brand? I usually try to buy OEM, but I'm also wondering if there's an aftermarket solution with improved sealing.

I would leave the spring alone it wouldn't be helping the situation with a heavier spring.
I will not mess with the spring.

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I've been looking around at servo replacements the past couple days and haven't seen anything spectacular as far as aftermarket options so I'm planning to buy OEM.

Interestingly, I'm having my usual OEM Ford parts site tell me that the right OD servo for my VIN is F75Z-7H188-AA, but that part looks nothing like what I pulled out of my trans. Is that part an upgraded design or just a mistake on the site (I'm reading in some places that the particular part number is for the 4R70, not the 5R55E)?

The servo I pulled out has "97GT-7E221-ZA" molded into it, but it appears that part number was discontinued. I'm finding some suggestion that the replacement is F77Z-7D021-ZA, which looks virtually the same as mine. Can anyone confirm the right OD servo part number? Thanks in advance!

JK080

Transmission Moderator
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 F250 6.0
Both of those part numbers ending in ZA appear to be for the correct servo, you can also search for the servo using the code ZC thats on the servo cover.

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Thanks for clarifying James. I just ordered my F77Z-7D021-ZA, hopefully the part I receive matches the part description more than it does the picture...
Capture.PNG

...wouldn't be the first time I ordered the wrong part!

I'll be looking forward to installing it and seeing if I can finally get gears 2 and 5 back (I'm eager to get the full experience of my valve body upgrades).

In the meantime, I'll be taking on the challenge of modifying my servo cover to make it easier to remove if I ever have to do it again. I have some ideas in mind, but won't have a chance to get back into the garage before this weekend. Pics to come!