• Register Today It's free!

2000 4.0 SOHC, noise in engine

earlschieb

Reaction score
City, State
Higginsport Ohio, 45131 On, The Ohio River
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hello forum, , I bought a 2000 Exploder, Eddie Bauer, 4x4 with the 4.0 SOHC engine in it. Has 117k on it, been babied, and taken care of.

It has a noise, like timing componets, but it is coming out of the drivers side valve cover, what is funny/different, to me is, that it doesn't do it until it has ran for a couple of minutes, and stays that way. It gets louder when you remove the oil fill cap, you can hear it a lot better/louder then.

I have read about the guides going bad, but would have thought that this noise would be on start up, and not 1 to 2 minutes later? :eek:

Help please!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I had read that before I made my original posting. This link said that the timing noise wa at start up at first, when oil pressure was low, my noise, is only there after the motor has ran about 2 minutes and longer after a cold start up. That is what has me confused.

If I remember, mine got louder as the engine warmed up. Under acceleration it sounded like rocks in a blender. Then one day the back chain broke, and that was the end of that engine. Hope you catch it before that happens.

5w - 30w, did it before, and after the oil change, it does sound like it could be in the timing chain guide, but I just wondered why, on a cold start, it makes no noise.

I have the front of the engine torn off, so I can see the timing components, also pulled the drivers side valve cover, and I am NOT seeing a problem, no unusual wear, nothing, no broken guides, nothing, any thoughts?

Thanks! Guess it is time to pull the other valve cover.

Has anyone attempted to put something else, in one of these besides the 4.0 SOHC?

Back