2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 81 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does that bearing have plenty of grease inside? I wonder how close it is to other pulley bearings, they say most aftermarket bearings have little grease in them, and adding some white lithium is an improvement. I don't know that, I just read it like everything else these days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does that bearing have plenty of grease inside? I wonder how close it is to other pulley bearings, they say most aftermarket bearings have little grease in them, and adding some white lithium is an improvement. I don't know that, I just read it like everything else these days.

Yes... Got the idler installed in the waterpump idler housing and everything reinstalled. Re-routed the serpentine belt to bypass the ac compressor... started car up and it sounded great. Drove around... perfect! Zero issue. No leaks, no weird sounds, nothing! Woohoo!

Well... that is.. until today, lol. Oldest has been driving around and as she pulled into the driveway while I was outside cleaning my Camaro wheels I heard more sounds from the engine bay from the Explorer. Popped the hood and I hear a ton of sound from the crank/harmonic balancer area. Everything "looks" good.

The sound, now...

Thoughts?

But yeah.. I'm just... done with it all. Countless hours and money and just always something. I need to pick up a cheap reliable car for my oldest and for myself when I don't want to pile miles onto my ZL1 so... Unless it's something simple I'm over the Explorer and selling it.

If anyone is interested and wants to come fetch it here in Texas (near San Antonio & Austin) it's available. Making noise but drives/runs fine it seems. Has a lot of hard to find expensive items AND new tires on it. Torque monster headers. Meziere electric water pump. Touch screen radio. Nice interior. New carpet. I'm thinking $2500 maybe. Decent price even if someone just wants to yank out the super hard to find headers, the wheels/tires, and other bits and pieces or whatever.

That sounds like a bearing, and with the new WP bearing, I wonder if that's it. Don't sell it just to get rid of it, that $2500 is way to little for a complete and driveable 2nd gen.

I would be satisfied with a normal WP versus that electric high tech version. I know small power gains are nice, but at what cost and is it reliable long term? I have an electric fan in my 99 work truck, it's been great but I worry about it a lot compared to the tried and true OEM fan and clutch. I will still convert my other(project) 98 to an electric fan, but I'll put a lot of time and effort in it to be sure it's reliable.

BTW, I just ordered a new WP from Summit for my project truck, the FlowKooler brand, I have used OEM for my two past 302 WP's.

That sounds like a bearing, and with the new WP bearing, I wonder if that's it. Don't sell it just to get rid of it, that $2500 is way to little for a complete and driveable 2nd gen.

I would be satisfied with a normal WP versus that electric high tech version. I know small power gains are nice, but at what cost and is it reliable long term? I have an electric fan in my 99 work truck, it's been great but I worry about it a lot compared to the tried and true OEM fan and clutch. I will still convert my other(project) 98 to an electric fan, but I'll put a lot of time and effort in it to be sure it's reliable.

BTW, I just ordered a new WP from Summit for my project truck, the FlowKooler brand, I have used OEM for my two past 302 WP's.

Nice! The Meziere was originally added so I could fit electric fan setup years ago.

The sound seems to come from below the water pump around the crank area and not from the water pump itself as it was before replacing the waterpump idler bearing via listening around with my stethoscope. Pretty worn down on this entire thing especially trying to work on stuff when it's 105+ outside.

I know that heat thing, here the mid 80's are kicking my butt working in it for five hours a day(I have no AC either). Try to listen to it from below the front, be careful. I doubt it has an odd serious noise from the crank area immediately after working on the WP, and the WP is making no noise.

Look at the balancer as closely as you can before running it again, see if the seam looks normal The balancer is in twop parts like all OEM, with a rubber sealing ring. When that lets go, the outer ring will move eventually, in or out, and that ruins the balance of the engine, and can contact nearby parts too.

I know that heat thing, here the mid 80's are kicking my butt working in it for five hours a day(I have no AC either). Try to listen to it from below the front, be careful. I doubt it has an odd serious noise from the crank area immediately after working on the WP, and the WP is making no noise.

Look at the balancer as closely as you can before running it again, see if the seam looks normal The balancer is in twop parts like all OEM, with a rubber sealing ring. When that lets go, the outer ring will move eventually, in or out, and that ruins the balance of the engine, and can contact nearby parts too.
I'll try to take a closer look sometime in the next day or 2.

Initial issue from a few weeks ago was noise from the balancer/crank area. That's when I replaced the harmonic balancer/crank pulley and crank seal. Fired it up and had sound from the water pump and compressor. Bypassed the compressor and replaced the water pump idler pulley. Started it again and no sound and it sounded and drove great.. for a few days, until this sound popped up today :-/

Car was to hot to investigate much but I'll pull belt off and look more into it tomorrow or Monday or sometime during the week as my schedule allows :D

I forgot that it had a new balancer.

I'm amazed that my 98 is still going strong at 243k miles, given my constant severe use of it. I have to replace the PS pump, it's been whining for almost two weeks now. I haven't been able to get to the rear axle bearings etc, that's the big thing I never got to since I bought it. I'd like to fix the AC, but I failed at the blend door it seems, the actuator doesn't engage the door 100% of the time. The freon went and the EATC has some kind of issue(or a vacuum leak), which I haven't tested carefully enough yet. Tons to do, not enough hours in the day with work. I even checked for another 302 Explorer last month, in case one was near for a decent price. Nothing with decent mileage turned up, except one in PA for $10k with 150k miles. Three strikes on that one, and all others were high mileage and/or crap. If you were closer, I would help; my best friend could use a beater AWD Explorer, like my 98 will be when I sell it.

Somewhat frustrated with everything hence the lack of updates. Haven't messed with the Explorer since parking it after the noise and what not from August. Hopefully build up some willpower to dive back in sometime. Ended up buying my oldest a 2014 Impala Limited to drive as I can't count on the Explorer, lol.

Unrelated to the Explorer but we had a cool annular solar eclipse that was viewable by my home here in Texas a few weeks ago. I've been working on improving my photography skills a bit and captured some photos that I put into a short "time lapse" video. Used a 16.5 step solar ND filter so as to not burn up my Sony camera sensor, lol:

Couple photos:

eclipse1.png

square3.png

Still haven't gotten around to f'ing with the Xploder after it pissed me off last time, LOL.. maybe I will dive back in soon :D

Back