2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 56 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are there any fittings to tighten, I don't recall if it's all quick connects? I'd plan to replace all of the o-rings at the quick connections, those are the weakest links. The compressor is less likely to leak, but at this age the seals are getting old.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Are there any fittings to tighten, I don't recall if it's all quick connects? I'd plan to replace all of the o-rings at the quick connections, those are the weakest links. The compressor is less likely to leak, but at this age the seals are getting old.

I got impatient and added some refrigerant to help spot the leak and popped a connection (quick connector) on the passenger side line coming off the dryer... Think I am going to replace the entire line as it looks old and crappy lol.

Ordered the passenger side ac hose, all new o-rings and gaskets kit, a new orifice (not sure if the one I put in was right or not... got a red one this time, not sure what it was before?), and a set of better quick disconnect tools.. Maybe I put the piece together wrong or something.

Did you notice much movement of the connections when they are assembled? The joints should not move much, the little OEM metal clip is supposed to help reduce vibrations. I have some aftermarket joint clamps, which help a lot. They bolt on and hold the joint rigid, so the o-rings can last a lot longer. I need a few more of those, I hope they are still available. They used to cost about $15-$20 a piece. They are worth it if you can get them.

2 steps forward 2 steps back...

Replaced the bottom hose (it looked gunky) though my intention was the replace the top hose from the accumulator but ordered the wrong part, lol.

Found a crushed o-ring off the big bolt on the top of the accumulator into the coil.. Replaced it and also replaced the spring looking o-ring from the accumulator to the compressor that blew... Replaced the orifice tube just to be sure.

Ran vac pump for a few hours and locked it down and NO LEAKS.. YAY.

Put in a can of r134 into the low side (had ac on on low)... it took the entire can... car was stumbling and almost dying... BOOM.. the same top connection off the accumulator BLEW. WTF?

This is the connection that blew off (that has the new o-ring flex thing and snapped on nice and tight)...

20180918_180339_HDR.jpg

What am I messing up? Lol.

Still no AC.. haven't messed with it since my last incident lol.

I did finally get around to replacing my oil pressure sender (total pain in the ass!!) and changed my oil. Damn oil filter was stuck in place and it took me multiple hours to finally remove it. My old crappy radio is on it's way out and now that my wife drives the Xploder quite often I'll probably swap in some double din universal Android headunit. Picked up an Android head unit for my WRX and once I install it I'll see if I go that route with the Xploder.

The oil filter once I finally removed it, lol...

IMG_20181007_153711_677.jpg

Ouch, what gorilla installed that filter?

Which radio do you have that is going out? I like the OEM Mach radios, though I only have one good one(had it repaired long ago). I have one spare and plan to put a DD navigation unit in my 99 truck some day. What does an android device gain you in the radio, it includes navigation of course yes?

Ouch, what gorilla installed that filter?

Which radio do you have that is going out? I like the OEM Mach radios, though I only have one good one(had it repaired long ago). I have one spare and plan to put a DD navigation unit in my 99 truck some day. What does an android device gain you in the radio, it includes navigation of course yes?

It's some cheap Walmart touch screen double din radio, lol. Been messing with my Subaru a lot past few weeks and need to get back to the Xploder and get my transmission fluid changed and my AC charged still lol.

Do you have a place there to do AC work? I like Vol Radiator here off of University Ave, it's on Western but turns into University Ave near the interstate. If you can go there, take the short exit just before Alcoa Hwy, far right lane on the wide six lane section. Bear right and turn right, that gets you onto Western going west, just under the bridge etc. From the interstate, it's about 1/2 mile, on the left(big wide median along that section), there's a small convenience/grill place at the road. Vol Radiator is behind it with a decent sized parking lot. If you go, say hi from me, they've worked on my Mark VII's and Explorers many times.

Do you have a place there to do AC work? I like Vol Radiator here off of University Ave, it's on Western but turns into University Ave near the interstate. If you can go there, take the short exit just before Alcoa Hwy, far right lane on the wide six lane section. Bear right and turn right, that gets you onto Western going west, just under the bridge etc. From the interstate, it's about 1/2 mile, on the left(big wide median along that section), there's a small convenience/grill place at the road. Vol Radiator is behind it with a decent sized parking lot. If you go, say hi from me, they've worked on my Mark VII's and Explorers many times.

Is this in East TN?

Oh, sorry, I was thinking of another member who is maybe 40 miles west of Knoxville. That's a real long drive for you, never mind.

Haha, no worry. I'm west TN. And yeah, a little bit of a hike lol :D

How far is that from this end? I've heard it's longer to drive to Memphis from here than to almost go to Canada. I always thought that's nuts, I've been to Canada and many states around SD, that's a long days drive, and more to some up there.

How far is that from this end? I've heard it's longer to drive to Memphis from here than to almost go to Canada. I always thought that's nuts, I've been to Canada and many states around SD, that's a long days drive, and more to some up there.

I'm not sure... It's something like 3 or so hours to Nashville. I have not been to Knox though. Checking the Waze app it looks like Knox is 340 miles away from where I work (Millington TN, which is around 30 min from Memphis).

That's not too bad, Nashville is about 200 miles from center of town, a three hour drive in nice weather.

That's not bad! I like the Nashville drive, peaceful!

Have been busy working on the WRX again over the past week or so... Installed a PRL FMIC, Tial QRJ BPV, Cobb Flex fuel kit, Cobb AOS, and an AEM 340lph fuel pump. Done with everything but still need to put the bumper back on after I make sure there are no boost leaks!

The new front mount intercooler is a little bigger than the stock top mount one lol

Looks nice :D

Had to get creative with the BPV mount lol

Lot more room in the engine bay now without the TMIC

AOS install was kind of a PITA

:D

Long time ! :D Still working on the WRX mostly, but... about finished with what I want to do with it. I'm in the middle of finalizing my flex fuel tune and will be good to swap back to a little more focusing on the Xploder. STILL need to do the dang transmission fluid and a number of other small things. Want to swap in another radio as the cheap Walmart special is about dead and the wife complains about it as she drives the Xploder quite often. Also need to strip out the old Sat radio interface thing that's never been used or hooked up, replace the radio trim, and yank out the mostly broke/dead boost (no longer needed) and AFR gauges (want to keep this but maybe relocate it somewhere and re-do the wiring). Still need to tweak the exhaust and move the AFR sensor forward, maybe put slightly bigger tips on, and get the truck re-tuned. FUN FUN :) hope to take my WRX to Nashville to a shop up there that can dyno the car, if they aren't to expensive, may see if they can tune the Xploder as well with Henson no longer an option.

Anyone happen to have a set of projector headlights (no bulbs) for sale? Or know a good site to get some cheap(ish) but decent? Need to put HID's into something better than the stock set as wife hates being flashed because the light is all over the place and people think her brights are on lol.

Still been busy with the WRX and waiting on weather to warm up... Need to get back to the Xploder and finish up a number of little things with it, lol. Also trying to talk my wife into letting me buy my buddies Lincoln Mark VIII lol..

Not much going on lately.. most of my time and effort has been on my WRX lol.. I did pick up some cheap projector style headlights and some new single bulb h1 hid lights to go with the new headlight housing... Hopefully it all works alright lol.

Back