2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 67 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your write up inspired me earlier this year to convert mine to led. I love it

20210209_163256.jpg 20210209_163449.jpg 20210212_113510.jpg 20210209_184233.jpg

Attachments

• 20210209_163256.jpg
    20210209_163256.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210209_163449.jpg
    20210209_163449.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210212_113510.jpg
    20210212_113510.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 56

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Your write up inspired me earlier this year to convert mine to led. I love it
Awesome! Looks great! Did your flex cable or whatever that stuff is also break on your prior to the conversion?? :)

Have been busy working on the ZL1 mostly past few weeks and trying to put together YouTube videos as I go, lol. Hope to MAYBE finally getting back to the Xploder. It's been driving well the few times I take it for a spin other than the belt squeal on startup that I need to resolve... again.

I've also been thinking of plasti-dipping the Xploder to help protect it as I have a few small suface rust spots, some clear coat peel on the fenders, etc... And maybe sanding the rust spots down a bit and tossing in some touch up paint, sanding the clear off the fenders, and then maybe hitting the car with something from Dip Club would be a fun project.

Before all of that I still need to get the AC up and running, lol, as well as drain the transmission and get that fresh fluid in there, and figure out the ABS light (wheel speed sensor probably I'm guessing at this point), and a million other things, haha :D

Meanwhile... a few fun ZL1 videos, lol:

Oooo.. And I emptied the catch can I installed in my ZL1 for the first time this past weekend (only about 600-800 miles of wimpy driving)... Caught a decent amount of oil and gunk:

20211119-182539.jpg

20211119-182549.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone :) Not a ton going on... I did LED swap every bulb in my Nissan NV3500, lol... And did a quick video on my backup camera setup on the Xploder.

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!
Thank you!

Ordered some Quick Jacks so, once I receive them, I DEF plan on FINALLY changing out my transmission fluid, haha. Working under the car will be much easier SOON! Wooo! :)

I bought two more gallons of Amsoil ATF, I need to do my 98 work truck again. I got a LiFePo4 battery for my old 73 Ranchero, group 24F. We'll see if it fits right, and if it lasts the eleven years it is warranted for.

Finally got around to installing the front license plate mounting bracket, thanks for everyone who assisted with info. Did it without using a plastic rivet gun to save some money :D

Ordered a quick jack with the truck attachments to make working under and on the Xploder easier and of course FedEx lost half of my lift system... So... kind of stuck in limbo waiting on a replacement, lol.

I have not forgotten about the Xploder :D Lol. My interior bits have showed up... the interior trim overlays (went with "real" carbon fiber.. seems pretty nice and looks good, nice depth and 3d effect, etc), a suede dash cover (not usually a fan of these but this looks pretty much form fitting and can kind of hide the pretty beat up dash), a new AEM wideband gauge to replace my old one that disintegrated and can fill the gauge hole I have left in the center console area, and I already have a much nicer replacement radio trim piece :)

20220227-144638.jpg

Also have my QuickJack finally and installed and set it up WITH the nice SUV/truck extension pieces so I can lift up the Xploder and work underneath it much easier!

If weather is nice I may try and get the Xploder up on the QuickJack and knock out the transmission fluid & filer change.. finally! Also would like to swap all of the pulleys and belt to try and kill the squeal.

Yesterday was a sad day as I was forced to chop my BRAND NEW Camaro carbon fiber trunk in half, lol.

Well... my oldest turned 16 last month and yesterday passed her driver's license test stuff and got her license. Adding her to my insurance from learner's permit to full driver was a nice price shock of around $1000 extra every 6 months, lol :*(

Have been working a lot on the ZL1 lately but also circled back to the Xploder as I will probably let the daughter drive it occasionally so knocking some stuff out on it. Started working on replacing the upper and lower idler pulleys, tensioner, and belt yesterday. Will finish that up today hopefully (I had ran out of time yesterday). Also would like to get it up on the QuickJack this weekend and finally do the transmission fluid and try to patch the small exhaust leak until a more permanent solution is figured out or I end up getting exhaust swapped out headers back or something, hmmm.

Still grinding out the YouTube videos... Did one on the Xploder today, lol. Replaced the upper and lower idler pulleys, the belt tensioner, and the belt... Squeal is gone (for now), yay! :D

Still grinding out the YouTube videos... Did one on the Xploder today, lol. Replaced the upper and lower idler pulleys, the belt tensioner, and the belt... Squeal is gone (for now), yay! :D

Cool - and timely! Now that my new thermostat is in, was going to check out my pulleys and belt, no idea how old the belt is, but I've had my Ex for a year now! Video instructions are the BEST! Learning from this forum and saving $$$$ instead of taking every problem to the shop!

Cool - and timely! Now that my new thermostat is in, was going to check out my pulleys and belt, no idea how old the belt is, but I've had my Ex for a year now! Video instructions are the BEST! Learning from this forum and saving $$$$ instead of taking every problem to the shop!
Awesome! I've learned a lot from everyone on this forum over the years... this is a great place with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to share what they know which is awesome! Hopefully the video is helpful! I got tired of the belt squeal on startup so finally got around to fixing that.. only 400 more things to work on and fix/improve/change :D lol.

Well.. Was trying to get AC back up and running after MANY years... I vac'd down the system and ran it for HOURS and let it sit overnight to test for leaks, none, vacuum stayed constant entire time, so, that is good! Jumpered the AC clutch relay so I could get the ac clutch to engage once I hooked up some refrigerant and put in 30 oz which the manual called for... AC blowing ICE COLD!! YES!!!

10 minutes later (with the car shut down and everything and me just doing some cleanup)... POP!!! Ac line blew off over by the dryer, spit refrigerant everywhere and back to square one.

Seems I'm missing some metal clip that goes over the line by the orifice (with the spring clamp inside the fitting). Anyone know the part number for the ac line metal snap lock fitting?? Are they 1/2"? 3/8"?

Thanks!

Ok, found the clips and ordered 2, lol.. Also ordered the pressure switch just in case that was a cause of the issue. Clip part number is for anyone maybe also curious as I was :D F6DZ-19E746-AA

Back