2001 Explorer Sport "won't crank"

RangerAl

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hello Everyone....
I have not been able to start my Explorer Sport in a week.
I turn key (in park, with brake pedal down), no crank..... windows, lights, radio all work. & theft light in cluster flashes.
I do have to add that this issue seems to have started when after a heavy rain, coupled with the sun roof left partially open, my console & floor where pretty wet, (cup holders half full, what a mess).
My thought is that I have to remove console, a scope out any electronics under it that may be causing issues.
I also wondered about overhead console..... any thoughts?

All replies appreciated.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did your steering column / ignition switch get wet?
-With someone watching your headlights (or at night by yourself), crank / turn key...if headlights dim then power is getting to your starter, therefore your starter is probably shot....if you get this you can try tapping starter with hammer in case just jammed.
-Try taking "matching" relay and placing it where your starter relay is and see if that corrects problem
-It's possible your battery terminals need cleaning...enough contact to light up some lights but not enough to crank starter...
Relay / fuse locations:

All good suggestions above. Also wiggle the battery cables pretty good and retry. These trucks often eat the battery cables.

Did your steering column / ignition switch get wet?
-With someone watching your headlights (or at night by yourself), crank / turn key...if headlights dim then power is getting to your starter, therefore your starter is probably shot....if you get this you can try tapping starter with hammer in case just jammed.
-Try taking "matching" relay and placing it where your starter relay is and see if that corrects problem
-It's possible your battery terminals need cleaning...enough contact to light up some lights but not enough to crank starter...
Relay / fuse locations:
Thank You EB4X....
I cleaned battery terminals and cable ends with wire brush, and put elect. grease on terminals/cables ends.
topped of water level (Interstate battery, two years old) and put charger on for 3 hrs...., all lights are :"bright" and window are responsive.
I'll def try relay swap, head light test & starter tap, as your suggestion.
As for steering column, I guess it could have gotten "moist", but don't recall any water in/on it when I got in to start it following the leak.

All good suggestions above. Also wiggle the battery cables pretty good and retry. These trucks often eat the battery cables.
Battery cables were replaced when battery was installed 2 years ago..... no signs of any damage. High-N-Tight & Clean.

Misadjusted or bad neutral safety switch?

.....gonna check that out, this weekend. thx
First question needing answer is did start failure FIRST OCCUR immediately after the interior got water soaked? If YES, why implicate TRS (neutral start) mounted on transmission? Or ANYTHING outside of the cab, except FUSES. A water-soaked circuit sees excess current flow, fuse blows. Sometimes circuit dries out, fuse is replaced, things work again.

What about "theft light" flashing? Is this a PATS light? Is it flashing normal intervals Key OFF, turns on solid for a short time Key ON? Water-soaked steering column containing PATS circuitry?

First question needing answer is did start failure FIRST OCCUR immediately after the interior got water soaked? If YES, why implicate TRS (neutral start) mounted on transmission? Or ANYTHING outside of the cab, except FUSES. A water-soaked circuit sees excess current flow, fuse blows. Sometimes circuit dries out, fuse is replaced, things work again.

What about "theft light" flashing? Is this a PATS light? Is it flashing normal intervals Key OFF, turns on solid for a short time Key ON? Water-soaked steering column containing PATS circuitry?
I will concentrate on interior, as yes the issue most likely was the water.

BTW... love the '59 Ranchero

Back