2001 Sport Trac tail lights & dash backlight not working, no bad fuses | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac tail lights & dash backlight not working, no bad fuses

JasonO

Reaction score
City, State
Wolcottville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello,

I have a 2001 Sport Trac, and recently the dash lights quit working. At first I didn't think too much of it, until later in the evening when an officer informed me that my tail lights also weren't working :(
The front marker lights and license plate lights also don't come on. I've carefully checked the fuses, and they're all good. I also replaced the headlight switch, but nothing changed.

I noticed if I put the truck in 4WD (with the headlight switch in off position), the indicator on the dash comes on, but if I turn on the headlight switch, the indicator goes off, even though the 4x4 is still engaged.

All other lights and other electrical functions work fine. Brake lights, turn signals, headlights, fog lights are all fine.

I'm not sure where to go next to troubleshoot the problem, and am hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Jason

Check the connection on top of the steering column. It has a history for wires pulling out.

I checked the connection there, and everything seems to be fine. Any other suggestions?

On most vehicles I've ever owned the dash lights and tail lights are on the same circuit. You've lost power somewhere. If it's not a fuse it might be a break in a wire somewhere. About all you can do is examine a wiring diagram for your truck and start checking along the wire(s) that are supposed to send current to the dash and tail lights. It's going to take a while, but if you proceed logically you'll eventually find the problem. You'll need a test light or a VOM.

Free wiring diagrams can be found here in the auto repair reference center:
EBSCOhost Login

User ID = s8921298
password = password

Also, check out this thread...
No foglights, marker lights, taillights or cluster lights....

Back