2001 XLT D44-SAS | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 XLT D44-SAS

Ok, I'm going to start this thread since I'm hoping to be done with this by the end of September.

d44-f001.jpg

d44-f003.jpg

Ok, those were the pretty pics...then I cracked the cover off the pumpkin-

d44-f005.jpg

d44-f006.jpg

d44-f007.jpg

d44-f008.jpg

d44-f010.jpg

d44-f011.jpg

The thing had a ton of water inside...no gear oil came out, only water...

Now the questions for all you axle Gurus...

I can rebuild this no problem right?

Are the axle tubes sealed from the pumpkin, or did the water travel down the tubes?

I'd appreciate any opinions on this cause when the water came pouring out I got disgusted and put the cover back on...I'll have at it again tomorrow and start stripping it down.

From what can be seen- any ideas on what would have to be changed right off the bat?

Or am I looking at a total rebuild?

I want to swap out the knuckles and spindles for 5-on-5.5, they're hard to get here...any body know anyplace in Jersey or PA that I could contact and secure some F150 knuckles and spindles?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Particularly since I'm hoping to pick up the springs this weekend. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stretch said:
:eek: Now I'm really jealous! :D That thing looks awesome. Maybe I missed it, but do you mind saying how much the Bronco steering box cost you?

Almost $400 rebuilt, the core charge alone was like $160...pricey, but it works like a charm.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Where did you get your bumper.

FYI, you don't need a t-bar w/ leafsprings.

ZachMan said:
Where did you get your bumper.

FYI, you don't need a t-bar w/ leafsprings.
Trail Ready

It was originally designed for the Ranger, but they said it was a bolt-on fit for the X, it wasn't. It was easy to adapt though.

I won't if I can get the drag link off the tie rod and up over the springs. I'm considering GM 1/2 ton knuckles, caliper bracket and spindle...I can have them modified for hi-steer arms.

cdsl227 said:
Trail Ready

It was originally designed for the Ranger, but they said it was a bolt-on fit for the X, it wasn't. It was easy to adapt though.

I won't if I can get the drag link off the tie rod and up over the springs. I'm considering GM 1/2 ton knuckles, caliper bracket and spindle...I can have them modified for hi-steer arms.

Thanks, what all did you have to fab to get it to fit? Looked on the TR site, guess they no longer make the bumper.

Yeah just get GM 1/2 ton knuckles, alot of my Jeep buddies did that when they went D44/D60 combo.

I've been considering ways to make the knuckle transition easy and painless. I'm thinking Parts Mike, they're a little on the pricey side, but hey if they can ship me what I need quick I can be done with this already.

I've got one box of shocks in, 9012 for the front and 9112 for the rear, the other box got returned and is arriving tomorrow...I'm fabricating lower mounts for them...I haven't decided how to approach the rears yet, but it'll be done tomorrow because I need to be able to get around in this thing.

Definitely going to need a flatop+hi-steer on the passengers side to get the draglink up level, I can live with the tie-rod down low for now.

I drove it and it feels fine, but I've got bump steer. Still have to get the crossmember in, but I'm going to hold off on that until I get the steering straight.

I welded the perches in place, but I've got to put better welds on them, they're temp until I get the T-case in and the Hi-steer done.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of the shock install.

By the way,

Can anyone give me some tips on getting the Atlas II. What should I be looking for, do I have to swap out the tail-shaft on the tranny or do they make it a bolt-on??

And what type output shafts should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Advance adapters sells them. I'm not sure about the 2001 but many other Explorers they just bolt on. You'll have to change driveshafts again.

NOTAJP said:
Advance adapters sells them. I'm not sure about the 2001 but many other Explorers they just bolt on. You'll have to change driveshafts again.

Thanks! I was also looking for an easy way to identify what tranny is in this thing...ideas would be helpfull!

I just ordered GM kncukles with steering arms, spindles, caliper mount plate, and misc. stuff from PartsMike. Pricey, but I did a run and made about 30 calls to local and not so local junk yards- nobdy near me has this stuff. Besides I'd have to have the knuckles machined for the arms anyway...so, oh well.

cdsl227 said:
Thanks! I was also looking for an easy way to identify what tranny is in this thing...ideas would be helpfull!

I just ordered GM kncukles with steering arms, spindles, caliper mount plate, and misc. stuff from PartsMike. Pricey, but I did a run and made about 30 calls to local and not so local junk yards- nobdy near me has this stuff. Besides I'd have to have the knuckles machined for the arms anyway...so, oh well.

your changing out the knuckles now!?!? were you planning on doing it all along (i would have thought you would have done it sooner if so) or is this just to overcome the steering problem you have? Im suprised they don't make a high steer kit for the wagoneer considering its a jeep and they all end up getting lifted at some point... also I'm pretty sure the tranny you have is a 4R70W.

Also have you tried bolting down the buggy springs yet to see if the track bar is really even needed?

Nick26 said:
your changing out the knuckles now!?!? were you planning on doing it all along (i would have thought you would have done it sooner if so) or is this just to overcome the steering problem you have? Im suprised they don't make a high steer kit for the wagoneer considering its a jeep and they all end up getting lifted at some point... also I'm pretty sure the tranny you have is a 4R70W.

Also have you tried bolting down the buggy springs yet to see if the track bar is really even needed?

I'm doing the live and learn thing with this. I had planned on going to Hi-Steer at some point- I was just hoping to get through the winter with it. I could have done some half-azz solutions for the steering, but I figured in the long run if I just spring for Hi-Steer I'll never have to revisit it.

The problem with using the jeep stuff is that I wanted to go with 5-5.5 lug pattern, the Bronco knuckles I got did that job, but getting parts for this kind of work where I am is impossible. Besides all the jeep stuff got tossed about 2 months ago. They weren't flat-tops anyway.

4R70W sounds right, I'm going to double check, which T-Case is the AWD, I gotta get that to get the Atlas together.

I got some long U-Bolts to lock the buggy leafs down, just haven't tried to get them in yet...that's next. If I do the Hi-Steer and lock down the buggy leafs I definitely won't need a track bar...probably more trouble than it's worth anyway. :)

Thanks!

Ok, the T-Case is a BW 4404 (-07), now I just need to be absolutely positive on the tranny and I'll spring for the Atlas.

I looked, but couldn't find a tag or anything to give an indication on the tranny...T-Case tag smacked me in the face when I climbed under.

cdsl227 said:
I'm doing the live and learn thing with this. I had planned on going to Hi-Steer at some point- I was just hoping to get through the winter with it. I could have done some half-azz solutions for the steering, but I figured in the long run if I just spring for Hi-Steer I'll never have to revisit it.

The problem with using the jeep stuff is that I wanted to go with 5-5.5 lug pattern, the Bronco knuckles I got did that job, but getting parts for this kind of work where I am is impossible. Besides all the jeep stuff got tossed about 2 months ago. They weren't flat-tops anyway.

4R70W sounds right, I'm going to double check, which T-Case is the AWD, I gotta get that to get the Atlas together.

I got some long U-Bolts to lock the buggy leafs down, just haven't tried to get them in yet...that's next. If I do the Hi-Steer and lock down the buggy leafs I definitely won't need a track bar...probably more trouble than it's worth anyway. :)

Thanks!

i see, i know what you mean, sometimes things just don't go as planned... the t-case you have is def a BW4404.

are the ubolts actaully square bolts? otherwise Im having a hard time picturing how your planning on fastening the buggy springs with rounded bolts...

ok, so I've been following this thread since the begining and figured that sooner or later I would just figure out what buggy springs are from people talking about them, but I have no idea still...so...can someone explain buggy springs? Perhaps a picture or something?

hey cdsl227 i am plannig on getting either a flaming river or borgeson steering shaft and was wondering how the flaming river steering shaft felt?
also why did u go with the flaming river and not the borgeson?
if u dont mind me asking.
good work on you sas. i wish i could have done mine myself like you have done.

thanks

Con Seann3ry said:
ok, so I've been following this thread since the begining and figured that sooner or later I would just figure out what buggy springs are from people talking about them, but I have no idea still...so...can someone explain buggy springs? Perhaps a picture or something?

If you look at the picture below and envision it mounted under the frame rail, you can see that the two bolts are what holds the end of the leaf with the eyelet on it to the mounting backet- now picture putting one wheel up on a rock and if it makes sense the buggy leaf will bend away from the mounting bracket to allow for an extra inch or two of droop (drop, articulation...) to keep the tire down on the ground so you don't lose traction.

pict0047.jpg

pict0054.jpg

fury said:
hey cdsl227 i am plannig on getting either a flaming river or borgeson steering shaft and was wondering how the flaming river steering shaft felt?
also why did u go with the flaming river and not the borgeson?
if u dont mind me asking.
good work on you sas. i wish i could have done mine myself like you have done.

thanks

I've got 2 universals on the steering shaft in the engine compartment- one is half Borgenson and half Flaming River (right on the steering box) and the other is Flaming River (on the shaft stub coming through the firewall)...I eliminated the slip shaft in favor of a solid shaft- 3/4" DD.

Turning is smooooth, no binding at all and if you look at the pics you can see the end at the steering box has a mean angle.

If I take out the body lift next spring and this is only an if, that will decrease the angle on the universal at the steering box.

I've put about 70 miles on the truck since it's hit the road, it's holding up extremely well, I haven't babied it since I put in the shocks and I've been inspecting everything after each drive.

The one thing that suckz is the Atlas supposedly has a 5 week turn around time before it ships from Advanced Adapters. The good thing is that the prices are down...2K for the 3.8:1 with the shift kit and sight tube, output shaft options are extra.

I have a few questions about the Atlas. Does it bolt straight to the 4R70W without an adapter? Do you have to buy the Explorer shift kit or does it come with one that will work? What changes to the drive shafts need to be made (I expect either lengthening or shortening, but what about the yokes and/or u-joints)? I would appreciate any info you can provide because I'm in the market for one since my x-fer case is dying anyway. I know I just need to call them but I'm just gathering as much info as I can. I've said it before and I'll say it again - awsome work, can't wait to see how it really performs once it's finished.

cdsl227 said:
If you look at the picture below and envision it mounted under the frame rail, you can see that the two bolts are what holds the end of the leaf with the eyelet on it to the mounting backet- now picture putting one wheel up on a rock and if it makes sense the buggy leaf will bend away from the mounting bracket to allow for an extra inch or two of droop (drop, articulation...) to keep the tire down on the ground so you don't lose traction.

pict0047.jpg

pict0054.jpg

AHHHH!! I gotcha now, thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup:

I had it on the highway last night, without the buggy leafs locked down- got it up to 55-60 on the speedo and it felt fine, no shakes or anything.

I gotta figure with 35's and 3.55 in the rear-end at 55mph on the speedo I was actually doing low 60's.

Hi-steer stuff is on schedule for this week...and I ordered the Atlas, I got it with a 10 day turn around (delivery) + good price with options and some odd's that I needed to finish out the knuckle/spindle install.

I couldn't get square U-Bolts with a 5" inside span so I'm going to cut the 4" ones I got and weld the stubs to the sides of the frame rails to bolt a plate over the buggy leafs.

Back