2002 4x4 problems | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

lol, its to early in the morning, i def remember. did you call for used units

Truthfully I forgot too. Saw my thread and was like "heyyy"...lol

Yes I called and was quoted $300 for a 2004 transfer case and If I remember correctly the truck has 83k miles on it. Found a 2002 transfer case for $250, but they could not tell me how many miles on truck it came off of.

I might head to Queens, NY for one. I know a truck from there will never hardly be used in 4x4 mode. I know the Jersey trucks get a lot of use...lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I did was, plug the module back in, disconnect the batter for 10 minutes, restart the truck (don't drive), shut it down and then disconnect the module. The reset should bring it out of 4x4hi. Worked for me.

Hope this helps.

ok guys update here, I tried to take off the batt and do as you said, 2 times, no luck for me.

I also took my transfercase motor off and let it cycle, its moving as it should.

my question here is wouldnt there be a 2wd option when i try to manually shift into awd labled...... my lables are as such top left is 10 o clock is H 6 0 clock is N 2 o clock is L sooo h is 4wd high n is neutral and L is 4wd low...... where is awd / 2wd????? so confused????? i really dont know what else my problem can friggin be!

Ok im confused now. Is it awd or 2wd. For the 2wd option 4wd is 2wd :) dont worry ill explain. When you put the switch in 4wd auto your transfer case sits in 4wd. There is a clutch inside the transfer case that does all the work. When in auto the clutch is off allowing it to be 2wd. When you slip on ice or rain there are sensors in the transfercase that tell the computer hey rear wheels are spinning faster than front wheels and the computer engages the clutch to turn 4wd on. Now when you press 4wd the clutch is engaged automatically and voila 4wd.

Now on to your problem. You say that the motor was working as normal correct? So when someone pressed the button for 4wd lo the motor went into that position, and obviously when they pressed 4wd auto the motor went to 4wd high position?

Trying not to beat a dead horse here.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the info on another one of Ford's faulty parts in their Explorer. I have a 2002 Limited and I think I have narrowed my problem down to the 4x4CM but I wanted to be sure about the part #. In these posts I see a lot of part numbers that are very close to what's in my truck but I wanted to make sure before I spent $200. My part # on my 4x4CM is 1L24-7H473-AD, and my truck was created 04/2001. I was wondering if the new part # 1L2Z-7E453-A would work on my truck? I have found it @ Directfordparts.com and can easily order it with a few clicks. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Hey everyone, thanks for all the info on another one of Ford's faulty parts in their Explorer. I have a 2002 Limited and I think I have narrowed my problem down to the 4x4CM but I wanted to be sure about the part #. In these posts I see a lot of part numbers that are very close to what's in my truck but I wanted to make sure before I spent $200. My part # on my 4x4CM is 1L24-7H473-AD, and my truck was created 04/2001. I was wondering if the new part # 1L2Z-7E453-A would work on my truck? I have found it @ Directfordparts.com and can easily order it with a few clicks. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Wherever you get it, just give them your VIN and they should make sure you get the right part.

I wonder

If the reason the AL4D tranny issues are because of the programming in the 4x4 module... I know my tranny used to shudder under intermediate acceleration until my module blew (*from jump starting*) ford part number 1L2Z-7H473-AH. I'm replacing the module soon for $274 at a dealer in Elma NY... new part number 1L2Z-7E453-A.... tried directfordparts and the site doesnt exist just some internet information page comes up

If the reason the AL4D tranny issues are because of the programming in the 4x4 module... I know my tranny used to shudder under intermediate acceleration until my module blew (*from jump starting*) ford part number 1L2Z-7H473-AH. I'm replacing the module soon for $274 at a dealer in Elma NY... new part number 1L2Z-7E453-A.... tried directfordparts and the site doesnt exist just some internet information page comes up

Direct Ford Parts is now: www.silverstatefordparts.com I got my module from them.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Rockauto

thanks for the info! Rockauto was $167 + 33 ship to canada. ordered it earlier today.

Hopefully you can get the 4x4 working again!!

changed out the module today

Like everybody else that has done this change out it took all of 10 minutes and a 9/32 socket which fits all the bolts you need to remove and replace. Although I did break a little plastic piece off of the plastic retaining clip ( the grey one ) I think it will be fine though.... always something though. Anyway tried all the 4x4 buttons and all works fine now. This forum is invaluable to the common man that knows which end of the wrench to use.... A big thank you to all that contribute..... I'm sure you have saved literally millions of dollars in stealership fees, not to mention some of the other places to purchase the same items for rock bottom prices... such as " rockauto"... again all is well now, wish I could diagnose for some one else. happy trails!!!!!

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

I have to agree with you about the forum being an invaluable resource. I don't know how much money it has saved me, but it's a whole boatload!

I joined the Elite Explorers to show my support. I saved a lot more than the $20 on my first repair.

That first repair was replacing the outdoor temp sensor. It took me about ten minutes and I never could have done it without EF.

Thanks to everyone who provided information. I just replaced my module which went out when i jumped someone. I ordered mine from rockauto.com. I paid $184.79 plus $5.20 shipping. My vehicle was manufactured in 02-02. The old part # was 1L2Z-7H473-AH and the replacement was 1L2Z-7E453-A. It took about 15 minutes to remove it and 5 minutes to put the new one in. I got it replaced just in time for winter.

Thanks to everyone who provided information. I just replaced my module which went out when i jumped someone. I ordered mine from rockauto.com. I paid $184.79 plus $5.20 shipping. My vehicle was manufactured in 02-02. The old part # was 1L2Z-7H473-AH and the replacement was 1L2Z-7E453-A. It took about 15 minutes to remove it and 5 minutes to put the new one in. I got it replaced just in time for winter.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Nice job on the fix! It's nice when thing are working like they are supposed to.

Wow, just read through every post in this thread and was surprised and happy that the thread is still going. Must be some kind of record.

My 4x4 issue is slightly different in that hi and low work fine, lights and all. The issue is that most of the time (if not all), when the 4x4 auto has a chance to kick in, it does but stays in 4x untill I pull a fuse.

Does this sound like a module or speed sensor?

Haven't seen my problem anywhere in this thread so looking for a little input. Driving along occasionally it will feel like the 4wd is trying to engage on the front driver's side only. It will drag a little bit and then making a clunking noise (disengage) and be fine. I'm guessing its a wheel speed sensor as it is only on the one side but has anyone else run into this?

Haven't seen my problem anywhere in this thread so looking for a little input. Driving along occasionally it will feel like the 4wd is trying to engage on the front driver's side only. It will drag a little bit and then making a clunking noise (disengage) and be fine. I'm guessing its a wheel speed sensor as it is only on the one side but has anyone else run into this?

Sounds like one or both of the speed sensors on the transfer case. You have one next to each drive shaft. Try disconnecting the 4x4 module and see how driving around is. If you don't shift into 4x4, then I would say it is a faulty speed sensor. Also make sure your tires are inflated as recommended.

4x4 woes...woe is me

Hello all:
My 4x4 worked fine on my 02 Explorer until last year. For no reason at all, it quit working on me. None of the buttons engage 4x4, nor do they light up when pressed. So, after having read this forum, I replaced the transfer case motor and module.

After the module replacement, here is what happened:
My shifter was locked out and I could not put the car in drive. So I investigated a bit and found that the brake fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and tried again, the fuse blew once more. All the while the 4x4 low light was red. I am baffled and my mechanic has no idea.

If anyone has any thoughts, I would be happy to try anything.

Thanks.

Did you make sure the module is the correct one for your truck? I feel like I read about people putting in the wrong module and having strange issues like yours, but not sure. Also check and make sure your buttons are not bad for some reason.

Sorry I can't more help. Good Luck.

-V

Have you changed the 4x4 module tested

Ok, so here's my problem. I have a 2002 Explorer EB. The 4wd buttons all work. The 4wd drive works. The problem is when in 4x4 HI, there seems to be a high pitched "growl" that comes from the driver side wheel. Sometimes it's loud, sometimes it kind of squeals, sometimes it just hums. When the truck is in 4x4 Auto and there's a little snow or slush on the ground the truck seems to stutter when I let off the gas, kind of like it's shifting in and out of 4wd. Another issue that may or may not be related is when I make low speed turns, there is an audible growl coming from the front driver side wheel. Most of the time I can feel the growl also. Just a side note, I have changed the wheel bearing on this side, and it made no difference whatsoever.

I need help. Thanks in advanced.

*Update* I think the 4wd is stuck in 4x4 HI. There isn't a light on the dash, but when the road is dry there is a hi pitch whine coming from the front end and it seems to be rolling real tight. I removed the two 20amp fuses in the engine compartment to disable the 4wd and the whine and tightness go away

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well read thru all 8 pages of this and learned a lot. Like most no lights were on showing 4wd but it sounded a lot like it was engaged. I pulled power to the truck for the afternoon, and then hooked the batery back up, shizzam the lights worked and would show 4x4 high. I drove it and still had a rumble like the 4wd was still engaged, I put the truck up on jackstands and sure enough all wheels were turning when in drive and in auto 4x4. I haven't seen a way to totally turn off the 4wd so I pulled the 2 20 fuses under the hood and the front wheels stopped. So I guess my questions are this, is there really a way to turn the 4wd off, and if not I am still having a little rumble when I drive with the 4wd fuses pulled, so could something else be causing that? The tires are new but not all terrains. Also if I wanted to pull the front driveshaft is that ok, and to do that do you just pull the 4 front bolts on the ujoint and it slides out from rear?

Back