2002+ Offroading Photos Wanted | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002+ Offroading Photos Wanted

Chris, you aren't liking the Pro Comp X A/T? I'm looking at either the Pro Comp A/T or the X A/T as of right now. Pretty much have the pick of whatever I want with my dad owning a store. I'd be curious to know what you think of the ones that you have.

I love my A/T's there sweet, im going to get larger tires that will prob be the rugged trails and use those for my road tires and the A/T's as my off road tires:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those BFG Rugged Trails are really good tires. I just took the wheels/tires off my EB and put them on my wife's XLT cuz her Nexen's sucked!!! And I wanted a good reason to pull my 32" DC Mud Country's off my old Sport for the EB.

And lets face it, 4wd or AWD, you're gonna do better than 2wd. ;)

I didn't neccessarily say that they are bad tires; mine are a bit worn and they're stock size, that's why I made mention of it.

Really wanna try n get some 255/75/17 Rugged Trails or Duelers in the next year.

Thats a good looking ex man, you've done a great job on it. Feels good sitting up doesnt it?

Thats a good looking ex man, you've done a great job on it. Feels good sitting up doesnt it?

Thanks, still not done yet (got a lot more to do, just wish i had the money lol)

Man i love sitting up high now, its great, i cant wait till i get new tires eventually

Looks great Chris, love the look without the moulded flares which make the rear tyre/arch situation appear horribly out of whack.
Scotty

Looks great Chris, love the look without the moulded flares which make the rear tyre/arch situation appear horribly out of whack.
Scotty

I actually like the factory flares, though i do realize lately that not too many X's i see dont have them like mine. so i guess it is unique

next year im going to look into 02 xls flares maybe

all im saying is that the transition that ford made from the 2nd to 3rd generation explorers were definetly to more of a grocery getter/soccer mom kinda change, im not saying that they CANNOT go offroad but with all the mods out for 2nd gens and just being able to lift a 2nd gen that much helps out a lot, i mean come on, beacuse of the half shafts and irs and so on you cant lifta 3rd gen more then 3'', 3 inches??? thats pathetic, trust me theres nothing more than i would like to lift my truck up to the sky and throw some 37's on it but it will never be possible without MAJOR mods to the frame, suspension, etc... therefor i would rather slam my ex down to the ground, thats just my opinion tho.....

Shh... don't let the military know their Humvees (Hummer H1) have 4 wheel independent suspension... :salute:

And since joining this site, I am glad to know some people actually use their SUV's for what they are intended for! Some badass rides ya got.

Is that Black Ex stock on 32s? I love the look of it: kinda rugged but refined at the same time. Which in plain English means: Fun for me, but will keep my wife and kids comfy! lol

you can fit 32's stock...i did!

expynotlifted3.jpg

I Like that! Do you have any pics anywhere of your truck after the 3" RB lift?

How goes the tranny repair STNGADC?

How goes the tranny repair STNGADC?

Good, i got her back this afternoon problem free! lol Just wish it was a little cheaper...$2400 is still a little hard to swallow!

Hey...Thanks for the pics! An Ex with that stance looks like it could put an H3 to shame!

Ive always wondered why the rear axle on our 3rd gens, is not centered in the wheel opening?

It actually is centered, at stock height that is.

Because of the angle that the lower control arm is mounted to the frame for the back wheels, when the suspension is compressed the wheel moves to the back bumper. When the suspension is extended the wheel moves to the front. When people add suspension lifts to their trucks, the wheel moves forward a few inches.

But other wise any 3 gen explorer that sits at stock height, the beck wheels are perfectly centered.

It actually is centered, at stock height that is.

Because of the angle that the lower control arm is mounted to the frame for the back wheels, when the suspension is compressed the wheel moves to the back bumper. When the suspension is extended the wheel moves to the front. When people add suspension lifts to their trucks, the wheel moves forward a few inches.

But other wise any 3 gen explorer that sits at stock height, the beck wheels are perfectly centered.

Thanks for schooling me on that.. it makes sense..

OK...this may sound kind of backwards, but I have to ask...If 32s fit stock with the rear wheel perfectly centered, and lifting it brings the rear wheel forward (keeping 32s the largest comfortable fit), would a smaller lift (ex: 1.75 or 2") leave more room in the wheelwell for a 33" tire? Or is the clearance problem up front, and I'm off dreaming in left field somewhere?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK...this may sound kind of backwards, but I have to ask...If 32s fit stock with the rear wheel perfectly centered, and lifting it brings the rear wheel forward (keeping 32s the largest comfortable fit), would a smaller lift (ex: 1.75 or 2") leave more room in the wheelwell for a 33" tire? Or is the clearance problem up front, and I'm off dreaming in left field somewhere?

Clearance issue is the front. But it was a good question, and an excellent grasping-at-straws solution! I have roughly 2" lift in the rear, and my rear wheels are only just off centre.

Back