2003 Explorer XLT 4X4 V6 Transmission Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer XLT 4X4 V6 Transmission Problem

joubster

Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
Hello All,

As the title states, I have a tranny problem with my lovely Exploder...The O/D Light is flashing and the service engine soon light is on...

Plugging in the OBDII it gave me the following codes: P0732, P0735 & P0775.

I going to have a trusted friend/mechanic change out the filter, gasket & fluid as well as clean any debris collected on the magnet & brush the cable connector contacts. I hoping these low cost items might clear the codes:)

I would appreciate any other recommendations or insight regarding the codes. Also how do I identify which transmission is installed: 5R55S or 5R55W?
Getting the parts from AutoZone and it's asking which tranny I have. No clue other than I know it's a 5-Speed Auto LOL. The VIN Number is: 1FMZU73K73UA2479 if that helps.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. This forum is my only saving grace on how to fix things without paying the dealer lots of $$$$.

Have a great day everyone!

Joubster

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All,

As the title states, I have a tranny problem with my lovely Exploder...The O/D Light is flashing and the service engine soon light is on...

I going to have a trusted friend/mechanic change out the filter, gasket & fluid as well as clean any debris collected on the magnet & brush the cable connector contacts. I hoping these low cost items might clear the codes:)

I would appreciate any other recommendations or insight regarding the codes. Also how do I identify which transmission is installed: 5R55S or 5R55W?
Getting the parts from AutoZone and it's asking which tranny I have. No clue other than I know it's a 5-Speed Auto LOL. The VIN Number is: 1FMZU73K73UA2479 if that helps.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. This forum is my only saving grace on how to fix things without paying the dealer lots of $$$$.

Joubster

Transmission type cannot be determined by the VIN; only the engine type. On the bottom of the ID tag on the driver side entry, there is a group of identifying characters: the third one from the right is marked "TR" for transmission; If below it is the letter "V", it is 5R55S.

P0732: Improper Ratio for Second Gear
P0735: Transmission Concern
P0775: Not contained in list, are you CERTAIN it was 0775?

P0732 indicates that the speed difference between two shafts in the transmission is outside of the expected range. According to the Ford Shop Manual, components most usually at fault are Shift Solenoids "A", "B", or "C", or other internal parts. Symptoms are called "Shift Errors", and may be due to stuck valves, damaged friction material. Engine speed could be either higher or lower than expected.

The next step is evaluation of the electrical characteristics of the solenoids involved. Following that, if solenoids check out OK, is complete evaluation of electrical conditions, connector continuity, harness condition.

P0735 is reserved for "5th. gear ratio error". The specific condition is "5th. gear not commanded". Components are Shift Solenoids "A", "B", "C", and "D". Symptoms similar to P0732, procedure to troubleshoot similar.

This question needs to be addressed: Does the transmission upshift seemingly normally from gears 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, but not 4-5? Watch the tachometer while accelerating at reasonably low and constant throttle; each drop in rpm signifies a shift, thus, it starts in 1st. gear and the first rpm drop seen indicates it has shifted to 2nd. gear, and so on.

More info on specifically how is it behaving would help greatly. imp

Thanks for the quick & detailed reply IMP.

Unfortunately the door ID tag isn't too legible. The letter under the TR is only partially there and I can't really make it out, but it's definately not a "V". Could have been a D or a G?

I'm told the transmission is most likely the 5R55W which is good because AutoZone only stocked the gasket & filter for that series.

Thank you for the code interpretation. Yes code P0775 is one of the codes that came up. I remember seeing that same code in another transmission thread, but I can't remember what it said about it.

I'm going to take it out for another test drive and will keep my eye on the tach rpms. I don't recall any issues in the lower gears, but I do recall having to let off the gas to drop the needle when hitting 50MPH. I believe this happened between gears 4-5.

Thanks again for your help!

Glenn J.

Hello All,

Joubster
Hi there, if u enter the Vin online it will tell you...I'm having same problem with mine... Here are the things I've tried. I've replaced our own tested all the sensors on the outside of the transmission. I have replaced a differential oil. Check that center. It was fine. I have replaced the battery several times I have put new connection. Connector post on the battery. I've unplugged the 4 wheel drive module problem. S still persisted, I have thread the neutral safety switch. And so now I just checked the grounds.They were good alternators.Good, so I'm about to explore the PCM.Auction are checking the rest of the harness to see if it is possible.Electrical problem at mine will get better when the coach are cleared and then it'll get worse again and I'll throat that o d light again but once you clear it you're good Transmissions do not get worse. Then get better than get worse. So I know it's not the actual transmission and the fluid I've drained and changed as well. So if you have tried something, I haven't, please let me know so I can remove it from my to to try list and I will let you know when I test the PCM and the rest of the horses. A snap on reading it's not showing anything.

Hi there, if u enter the Vin online it will tell you...I'm having same problem with mine... Here are the things I've tried. I've replaced our own tested all the sensors on the outside of the transmission. I have replaced a differential oil. Check that center. It was fine. I have replaced the battery several times I have put new connection. Connector post on the battery. I've unplugged the 4 wheel drive module problem. S still persisted, I have thread the neutral safety switch. And so now I just checked the grounds.They were good alternators.Good, so I'm about to explore the PCM.Auction are checking the rest of the harness to see if it is possible.Electrical problem at mine will get better when the coach are cleared and then it'll get worse again and I'll throat that o d light again but once you clear it you're good Transmissions do not get worse. Then get better than get worse. So I know it's not the actual transmission and the fluid I've drained and changed as well. So if you have tried something, I haven't, please let me know so I can remove it from my to to try list and I will let you know when I test the PCM and the rest of the horses. A snap on reading it's not showing anything.
Sorry stupid voice to text. Mine used to throw the OSS sensor & intermediate transmission malfunction (failed to neutral ) but hasnt last few tests. My OBD reads since this started 1yr & half ago are all over place crazy, some contradictory, but all stayed cleared except those however still haven't returned thus why im now leaning toward electrical issue...you probably have the 5r5ss like i do...go to autozone and grab u a manual to truck, been a lil easier 4 me to navigate since....But i'm sure you can read between the lines and some of those words

Back