2003 Ford explorer sport 2dr Lift!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford explorer sport 2dr Lift!!!

lwrthnu

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 xlt sport
I know this has been addressed before but i cannot seem to find the specifics i need. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer sport xlt and im looking to lift it a decent amountand run either 32's or 35's. questions i have are:

1) How to lift the front and the best way to do so.?? Ive read about cranking the torsions no more then 2 inches.. Also ive never dealt with torsions before so what exactly are torsion keys for? Ive also read a while back that there are torsions with different tensions.. is this true?

2) For the rear what is the best way to lift it? I saw alot of people doing add-a-leafs in the back.. is that the best way to do so? or should i run some type of flip kit since the leafs are below the axle.

3) Last question is about running a body lift.. Which one should i use since ive seen there is not a specific one for my vehicle. Im assuming i have to customize a sport trac one or ranger one.. Also with the 3in how much of the frame is gonna show? What modifications do i have to do to make a bodylift work for my vehicle?

I am very mechanically gifted so i figure out most everything, but again i have never dealt with torsions so any advice, news, tips are much welcomed.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this has been addressed before but i cannot seem to find the specifics i need. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer sport xlt and im looking to lift it a decent amountand run either 32's or 35's. questions i have are:

1) How to lift the front and the best way to do so.?? Ive read about cranking the torsions no more then 2 inches.. Also ive never dealt with torsions before so what exactly are torsion keys for? Ive also read a while back that there are torsions with different tensions.. is this true?

2) For the rear what is the best way to lift it? I saw alot of people doing add-a-leafs in the back.. is that the best way to do so? or should i run some type of flip kit since the leafs are below the axle.

3) Last question is about running a body lift.. Which one should i use since ive seen there is not a specific one for my vehicle. Im assuming i have to customize a sport trac one or ranger one.. Also with the 3in how much of the frame is gonna show? What modifications do i have to do to make a bodylift work for my vehicle?

I am very mechanically gifted so i figure out most everything, but again i have never dealt with torsions so any advice, news, tips are much welcomed.

Thanks

It really depends on what you want, Your right about the 2" torsion twist. You can't go any higher than 2" if your truck is 4wd.

you have a few options for the back depending on how high up you want it sitting. add-a-leaf will give you 1.5" and Warrior shackles will also give you 1.5" or so. You could also purchase lift leaf springs at www.customsuspension.com

If you were to run a body lift you need part number pa-883 for the ford ranger. I was running a add-a-leaf, warrior shackles, 2"tt, and a 3" body lift for along time but I hated the shackles and frame haning down below the body so Im actually in the process of going spring over axles in the rear and a sloped body lift. I should be finished tomarrow. appearance and performance wise the sloped body and soa is the way to go.

Since mine is a 2wd can i go higher then 2 inches on the torsion twist?? also I hate the way the leafs hang out under the body also so how should i lift the back then?? What would you use to put the leafs over axle, just a standard flip kit? im assuming ur sloping it from the back to front.. how are you doing this? are u just taking standard body spacers and taking a little off the back ones?
Thanks for the help

Also you have any pictures of what your are doing to the back right now.. Witht the torsion twist i basically just torque the bolts on the bottom correct??

Also you have any pictures of what your are doing to the back right now.. Witht the torsion twist i basically just torque the bolts on the bottom correct??

yupp thats righ. I dont have any photo's yet but here is a good thread on the soa and sloped body lift....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=127121 Except instead of welding on spring perches like he did I orderd the superlift soa kit...http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SLF-1160&N=700+115&autoview=sku It's not coming in til tomarrow but im hoping ill get it finished by the afternoon. since your 2wd I would do a 3" spindle lift and 3" lift springs for the rear. Search for spindle lift. Also check out the link below in my signature

So instead of doing the torsion twist up front i can just run new spindles?? where can i get some for my vehicle?

Spindle lifts don't come cheap. I don't know if you have coil springs or torsion bars/leaf springs, but if you have tbs/leaves you can get a spindle lift kit at fatbobsgarage.com (approx 800$)
look up the ranger with the 4.0l, its the same kit my bro used for his 01 ranger, and the same one I am going to use for my 01 sport.
(just make sure you have 11.25 in. rotors, if you have 12 in. you will have to downsize as I did)

Ok.. so just so i have this right my options are;

1) FRONT---To either crank the torsion bars up front about 2 inches
or
Buy new spindles for a 03 ranger 4.0l 2wd (Need 11.5in rotors)

2) BACK---Either run Add-A-leafs (Will show alot under the body)
or
Warrior shackles ( But the leafs will show alot under the body)
or
Run a Superlift Spring-over-axle kit

3) BODY--- Run the ranger body lift part number pa-883 for the ford ranger
or
Run same body lift but slope from the back forward so that it hides the leafs more..

Can i run a torsion twist in front with the new spindles?
If i run the superlift SOA kit how much will it lift the back and can i just use blocks to life it more?

I appreciate all the great responses>>>

Yes you can run both the spindle lift and the TT in the front, and I haven't done SOA, but I don't see why you couldn't use blocks to lift it more.

Just a btw: there is no "or" between the options you have, it depends on the amount of lift you want, you could do any combination of the lifting options mentioned for the front and back. :thumbsup:
Oh and also, should you decide to do the spindle lift but don't have the correct rotors, you can pick up a pair for around 80$ at a junkyard and they just swap right out. No need for different brackets/pads/calipers.

Leaf springs are always going to "show" underneath the body.

if you do the soa I don't think your going to want to go higher. I just completed mine and it gave me about 5.5" in the rear. And with the soa the leaf springs are nnot noticeable enless you kneel down. Here is your picture you requested.....
picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for all the help.. I think im going to go with the spindles and tt in the front and then SOA in the back

Post some pics here when you finish, I am planning to do the soa and spindles and im curious to see how it looks on a sport...

Im gong to keep up with this thread. i have a 03 2wd. i was thinking
front; tt with spindles
rear; lift leafs or a soa with 4 door leaf pack and a add a leaf kit

my rear sits a good 2" lower than the front and i really dont like that

Back