2004 Explorer clicking noise then died, now won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer clicking noise then died, now won't start

flatipac

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hi folks! I had a clicking noise with a slight "eehhhhhhh" noise when idling and it got faster/louder when accelerating. I pulled over and turned off the car to check it out. The noise sounded like it was coming from the front where the top-right pulley is. Started back up and drove 2 blocks before my car died and wouldn't start back up. It tries to turn over, but nothing. I smell a bit of gas when I open the hood afterwards.

Out of pure ignorance I:
- Took out the alternator and had it tested at an auto store. They said it failed so I bought another one. Still no luck.
- Took out the starter and it failed at the same auto store--they said the gear or whatever would not kick out and engage. Bought another one. Still no luck.
- Took out the battery since after trying to start it 100x the battery appeared to be weak. A different store tested it and said it failed. Bought another one. Still no luck.

I've also visually checked fuses, cleaned battery cables, cleaned ground connections, checked for codes, checked for spark on coil #1 (successful), tried starting with starting fluid (unsuccessful), replaced fuel filter (unrelated but needed to be done). After leaving the car sitting for a week, today it seemed to stutter like it wanted to start but it didn't.

If it will not start with starter fluid, what's next? Any recommendations?

Does the clicking noise indicate a problem with the timing chain, or should I continue troubleshooting spark/electrical/ignition tomorrow?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to mention that I do hear the fuel pump click on when the key is ON.
There is a fuse I read that I should make sure it clicks when the key is ON also.. I forget what is called but it does click.

What swshawaii said, failure to achieve compression on each cylinder will result in not starting and could be an indication one or more of your timing chain related components have failed. I purchased a used 4.0L motor from a 2005 this summer and swapped it into my truck and @ 9x,x.. miles the motor already had one shattered guide and the front main tensioner snapped in half.

What swshawaii said, failure to achieve compression on each cylinder will result in not starting and could be an indication one or more of your timing chain related components have failed. I purchased a used 4.0L motor from a 2005 this summer and swapped it into my truck and @ 9x,x.. miles the motor already had one shattered guide and the front main tensioner snapped in half.

That sucks.. Did you fix the tensioner yet? And do I understand correctly that if it is a front timing chain issue, it is accessible without removing the engine? I like to do most repairs on my car as long as I don't have to take a bunch of stuff apart.

This is a picture of what destroyed the valves on the passanger side of my old motor. Chunk of aluminum from the reinforced backing, the tensioner shattered and froze up the right camshaft.
imagejpeg_2_5_zpsjktff2nn.jpg

The new motor also had a shattered cassette in the right head, I ordered and installed an OEM ford for this one as it seems they are the best quality, however do not seem to last a long time.
20150428_185530_zpsfatwp8ns.jpg.html

Tore down the new motor today and found this. Luckily I had a spare tensioner to replace it with.
Message_1438905250645_zpswgfant5m.jpg

New tensioner
Message_1438906191302_zpsasa74jdn.jpg

Back