2005 Explorer XLT 4.0L Outside/Underhood A/C Clicking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer XLT 4.0L Outside/Underhood A/C Clicking?

KeepOnExploring

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey,
I have a 2005 Explorer XLT 4.0L and when the A/C or fan is running, it still works perfectly, there is a clicking noise coming from under the hood. It sounds like lifters lightly clicking would sound like but when you turn the fan or A/C off, the sound immediately stops. Anyone have any idea what that might be?
Thanks!

Also,
On another subject, my rear wiper and the rear sprayer will not work at all, multifunction switch has been replaced with no results. The manual does not point to a specific fuse being at fault because everything else works perfectly. Anyone had this issue?
Thanks again to all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1)Lack of oil in the Freon.
2) There is a specific fuse and a specific relay.

Number Twelve, thanks for the response. How do I add oil to the Freon, or should I just take it to my shop?
Do you know what relay?
Thanks!

Easy Way:

pc1.jpg

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/INT0/PC1/N0491.oap

Probably need two.

Proper way: Buy a bottle of PAG46 oil and use a oil injector to put it in.

System oil capacity is 8oz if I recall correctly.

or simply you ac clutch is making the noise which is very common issue on fords.

he said clattering like lifters not one loud click.

My compressor was loud like lifters before it locked up. I would be replacing it now if I were the OP.

In the battery junction box F1-30 (20A) controls the rear wiper. I removed this fuse in my car to stop the rear wiper from working and the front squirter works just fine.

If that doesn't fix it, you really need the wiring diagram because the idiots who designed this, not only installed a microprocessor when an LM555 timer chip would do the job, they interlocked the washer motor so it has to ground through a front wiper relay to squirt the rear and ground through a rear wiper relay to squirt the front. So much better than just using a push-button.:rolleyes: I like the "interval" wipers but I don't want to keep buying rubber for the rear wiper, so I killed it by taking out the fuse.

As for that noise...a person really has to be there and listen carefully. I use a rubber tube stuck in my ear to locate sounds. The snout bearing might be rattling or the compressor might be complaining about a lack of oil, or just wearing out. Oil escapes from Freon leaks and people generally don't know that oil circulates with the Freon, so they don't replace it. If you never had a leak, you probably have serious compressor problems. If I recall correctly, you can't replace the clutch on these compressors because Ford had a better idea...lock them together so any clutch or bearing failure costs you the whole compressor and a major Freon System repair job.

Back