2006 V8 4.6 Trans Pan Drop Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 V8 4.6 Trans Pan Drop Problem

bman289

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Just talked to the mechanic at my local shop (not the dealership) and he won't do a pan drop & new filter on my 06 Explorer due to no dipstick, and issues with refilling the trans. Said he had done one and it was a nightmare to get the fluid back in the trans.

Of course Ford will probably want over $200 for this when my shop would've done it for $99...argh.

Anyone run into this? Is it really that tough to get the trans fluid back in the trans after a pan drop on this model? Is it possible to buy a dipstick tube to put on it or would that be a nightmare in itself? Ford really dropped the ball here - ridiculous to not be able to check your trans fluid...

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are plenty of threads on this subject on this site. Well, actually, from what I understand, there is a plug on top of the transmission that can be used to fill it. That's the one my tranny guy used. Also, fluid can be added through the drain/fill plug in the pan. There are several ways to get fluid out and into the tranny. Check the threads on the '02-'05 forum, and the Transmission forum. The Bob Is The Oil Guy site also has a lot on this issue.

Plenty of threads but not necessarily from someone that's actually done it on my model & trans. Gettiing the fluid out isn't as problematic (with the pan drop) as getting it back in. Like you, I've heard there's a plug where the dipstick would normally be, but I don't know for sure, so here's hoping someone who's done it can shed some additional light.

Ultimately I'll bet dealerships charge a fortune (will post the dealer estimate asap) so may be money ahead to catch a special at a transmission shop...

The 6speed uses mercon sp which is good for 100k miles. There is a dipstick under the screw in plug on the right side front of transmission. Ford has a special fill tool that looks like a really big J to fill.

Agree with Swetrid. The other place to add transmission fluid is in the center of the drain plug. It's a drain plug/fill tube all in one. You remove the fill plug with a 3/16" allen wrench, and pump (I use a small hand pump) the fluid in.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

find a different mechanic......

dont take that as me being an ass, but a hes inexperience or just a parts changer.

its not a horrible trans to fill, considering most cars these days are dipstick free.

Agree with Swetrid. The other place to add transmission fluid is in the center of the drain plug. It's a drain plug/fill tube all in one. You remove the fill plug with a 3/16" allen wrench, and pump (I use a small hand pump) the fluid in.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

V8 6 speed transmissions don't have the same drain plug and plug to ck the fluid as the 5 speed transmissions.

its a sealed tranny and has to be pumped back in

OK, thanks Swetrid. Good to know. Thought the refill procedure was the same as my 5R55S. Sorry 'bout that.

Back