2011 Explorer with problems. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer with problems.

Well Folks....I ordered 1 March, built 31 March, delivered 21 April....as of right now 7100miles.

Been to the dealer about 7 times...thats just to update the software, two oil chagnes, and a replaced seat track because the tech moved my seat all the way down on the tire mobility kit....that took about a month and a half to resolve.

So far went about 3500 mile road trip to Hot Springs and back to Miami FL....knock on wood no problems whatsoever...I did have a couple of SD Fault card readings. I did however get that resoved after I pit stopped turned off and then turned on when on the travel. So far since the 2.11 update no issues. Only minor glitches but i think its cause of the heat and humidity of Florida especially in the south.

I recently purchased a boat and with trailer it weighs about 4400lbs wet, thank god no tranny issues at all!! And loaded with folks and gear, I'm sure I was flirting with the 10125lbs GCVW....talk about putting the Ex to the max!

We absolutely love this Explorer, I have had it loaded with luggage, twin 14 year old nieces and my son of 16 months with my wife and I..and no problems with anything.

We took a road trip to Ft. Myers to pick up the boat and it was about 100 to 104 degrees and no heat issues whatsoever.

There is one last thing I need to take it to the dealer and its for a sound from the front right suspension area that some have talked about, and they checked it once but didn't have time for them to mess with it because I had the road trip to Hot Springs and nothing has come of it now that I am back. I'll get it checked and serviced so I can document it and get everything replaced or fixed that needs to be corrected before warranty period is over.

Great all around family and boat hauler, I enjoy the damn cooling seats for my bum bum and my kid loves the dual sunroof glass and we love the stone interior that keeps it way cooler than the black leather. I sat in the third row seat and it was comfy and ice cold back there....and my niece loved that third row seat too.

SO I do believe too that it is a low number of those who have serious issues and I just learn to appreicate that my Ex is doing very well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you touching the brakes at all when going down this hill?
Hi jeff59rt1,

All great thoughts, but unfortunately I am not touching or dragging the brakes on the way down the hill. I had also tried speeding up when it does this and all it does is send the RPM's higher and never up shifts. There were days (before it went into the shop) when this did not happen on the same hill and going the same speed.

Maybe they can get some of the diagnostic codes out of the transmission this time. When they replaced a solenoid in the transmision last time they said all the codes were wiped.

It is just frustrating because I really like my ex and I would really like to drive it.

One more update to my transmission repair –
I got my truck back Friday morning. They have listed that they replace the core which I assume is a "new" transmission. Had to laugh a little because I had forgotten where everything was on the dash since they had it in the shop for 26 days.

The bad news is on my way out this morning, the transmission did exactly the same thing it did in the very beginning. Going down a hill at about 50 MPH, the transmission down shifted on its own and revved the motor to 3,000+ RPM. Come to find out it had down shifted 2 gears and not just one according to the TAC when it up shifted twice (back into high gear) after I got to the bottom of the hill.

Stopped at the dealer to tell the Service manager who said they would call me on Monday and let me know what they were going to do.
I'd have them check this

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2786395&postcount=48

I give up/give in. I asked for a deal from the dealer to trade up to a 2012 after it broke again after not getting it back for so long. Took a crazy low trade in value just to get rid of this particular 2011. Just took delivery of a 2012 today and I can tell right out of the gate that the transmission is different in the way it shifts. I'm really hopeful that I got "version #2" of the completely redesigned Explorer with all the bugs fixed.

I just figured it up that I had the 2011 for 22 days of driving and it was in the shop for 26 days so they had it longer than I did. (4 days short of exercising the lemon law).

Don't get me wrong - I love the new EX (2011 or 2012), but I would like to drive it instead of it being in the shop. Hopefully all the bugs are out of the 2012.

Maybe you post the VIN so we don't end up with you lime??

I give up/give in. I asked for a deal from the dealer to trade up to a 2012 after it broke again after not getting it back for so long. Took a crazy low trade in value just to get rid of this particular 2011. Just took delivery of a 2012 today and I can tell right out of the gate that the transmission is different in the way it shifts. I'm really hopeful that I got "version #2" of the completely redesigned Explorer with all the bugs fixed.

I just figured it up that I had the 2011 for 22 days of driving and it was in the shop for 26 days so they had it longer than I did. (4 days short of exercising the lemon law).

Don't get me wrong - I love the new EX (2011 or 2012), but I would like to drive it instead of it being in the shop. Hopefully all the bugs are out of the 2012.

Why did you not file a claim against Ford instead of paying more of your money?

...Don't get me wrong - I love the new EX (2011 or 2012), but I would like to drive it instead of it being in the shop. Hopefully all the bugs are out of the 2012.
jwieriii,
I’d glad you’re enjoying your new Explorer. Please don’t hesitate to private message me if you need any help at all in the future.

Cory

Why did you not file a claim against Ford instead of paying more of your money?
MikeFreas,

At some point you just have to give up. Should I have to pay more for another new Ex – no. Do I like it – no.

As I said earlier I called Ford Customer Care. They were supposed to call back in 2 days – I finally got a call in 4 days. During the call when I was saying this whole thing is not right and Ford needs to step up or meet me part way, the Customer Care person actually asked me “If your truck had 28K miles on it and this happened, would you want a new truck at that point?” I said no, but with a truck I had for 16 days and 1K miles, yes. I called back in to the main Customer Care number and asked that the supervisor of the first guy call me back. They noted my complaints in the case said I would get a call in 2 days – I finally got a call back after 4 days and only because the first guy called to say my truck was ready and I asked why his supervisor had not called me back. The “supervisor” said “if you read the contract you signed during the sale of the truck, Ford has fulfilled its obligations”. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he said he does not have one.

I wish Cory worked the back end of Customer Care since I know things would get done right, in a timely manner and always courteous (even if the answer is no).

I tried to send a message from the Ford Company web site since I was getting nowhere with Customer Care. Filled out all the information and when I submitted it, it kept telling me my VIN # was invalid. Trust me – I put the right VIN #.

They had my truck in the shop for 26 days (the lemon law cumulative outage time 30 days) and this was the first occurrence.

You are not going to win or even break even. That is why I gave up and just paid.

I take issue with just giving up. back in the eighties I had a Ford Econoline which was a disaster with multiple unfixable problems. I asked Ford for another vehicle, no luck there. The dealer, same answer. So after consulting with our attorney put a large yellow lemon sign with the dealer logo on the back of the van. it took 16 months but they took it back and charged me a per mile charge for the use of it. It was a fair deal.
I hate to think how much negative response this was for Ford with lost business. But, hey it was their choice.
I still love Fords and have a 2011 Explorer which has been back to the dealer 6 or 7 times since January, but everything has been fixed. So I am happy with my 13th Ford in a row.
So my advice is hit them in their wallet, negative press and feedback at every opportunity.

Back