• Register Today It's free!

2011 Vs 2012 any changes ?

Razziel24

Reaction score
City, State
Guayaquil
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5 V6 Base
Hi, im about to receive my 2012 tuxedo black explorer next week, and I was wondering if there are any changes from the 2011 model.

Someone told me that they redesigned the lower front bumper lip, so it wont be too close to the ground.... is that true ? Any other changes ? (besides the new ecoboost engine availability)

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, im about to receive my 2012 tuxedo black explorer next week, and I was wondering if there are any changes from the 2011 model.

Someone told me that they redesigned the lower front bumper lip, so it wont be too close to the ground.... is that true ? Any other changes ? (besides the new ecoboost engine availability)

Thanks.

I hadn't heard that, but I hope it's true. I believe they've fixed issues with radiator fans, and rain noise, and probably a few other things too. Also quality "should" be better as they have optical robots on the line now.

Good luck with the delivery! Anxious to hear how it goes - mine won't be here for another few months, so I'll live vicariously through you ;)

Thanks.

How did you get a 2012 in Tuxedo Black? Tuxedo Black was discontinued.

I guess its black then :(

I just ordered a 2012 and was going to get the blis but upon the final test drive found that the explorer had a blind side mirror embedded in the side mirrors (lthe side mirrors have another mirror in the top corner 25%) . The salesperson said this was standard with all models that didnt order blis. So upon driving it, i decided not to get the blis as the new mirror style was pretty acceptable, maybe better utility than the blis. Wish I had a pic... cus I didnt do a good job explaining it...

I just ordered a 2012 and was going to get the blis but upon the final test drive found that the explorer had a blind side mirror embedded in the side mirrors (lthe side mirrors have another mirror in the top corner 25%) . The salesperson said this was standard with all models that didnt order blis. So upon driving it, i decided not to get the blis as the new mirror style was pretty acceptable, maybe better utility than the blis. Wish I had a pic... cus I didnt do a good job explaining it...

Yes you did, Ive seen those, pretty practical, good choice

Someone told me that they redesigned the lower front bumper lip, so it wont be too close to the ground.... is that true ?

I'd really like to know if that is true too - anyone?

The only change I'm aware of at this point (other than minor fixes) is the removal of the flat repair kit (pump and tire goop) that was previously included with the tow package

I'd really like to know if that is true too - anyone?

The only change I'm aware of at this point (other than minor fixes) is the removal of the flat repair kit (pump and tire goop) that was previously included with the tow package

Im getting my 2012 next friday, so I guess im about to find out.... ill report back

Hey guys,

I did some digging and found that there was no change to the lower front bumper lip for the 12MY. The 12MY changes include EcoBoost, SYNC availability, and new colors. :)

Cory

Hi Cory, thanks for the clarification.

Did the 2011 base model come with the 6 speed selectshift transmission ?
The 2012 base model does....

Hi Cory, thanks for the clarification.

Did the 2011 base model come with the 6 speed selectshift transmission ?
The 2012 base model does....
You’re welcome, Razziel24. The 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic™ Transmission only came standard on the Base Explorer for the 2012MY. I bet you’re looking forward to this Friday! :D

Cory

You’re welcome, Razziel24. The 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic™ Transmission only came standard on the Base Explorer for the 2012MY. I bet you’re looking forward to this Friday! :D

Cory

You bet I am :D

Ive seen her a couple of times in the dealer, I cant wait !!!

Any reason why Ford has not yet developed a 4wd Eco-Boost for this truck yet?

I can still order a Ford Explorer in tuxedo black from the Canadian website.

You bet I am :D

Ive seen her a couple of times in the dealer, I cant wait !!!
She’s so close yet so far away! You only have to wait until tomorrow now. :D

Any reason why Ford has not yet developed a 4wd Eco-Boost for this truck yet?

I can still order a Ford Explorer in tuxedo black from the Canadian website.
GuardianSport,

We are trying to offer engine choices that best align with customer needs. Many 4WD customers also need the increased power of the V6, particularly for towing. We did not feel that demand for a 4WD EcoBoost would justify the engineering investment required to develop the package. We continue to evaluate demand, and will respond if the demand is there.

I did some checking and confirmed that Tuxedo Black Metallic is being reintroduced (late availability) for the 2012MY.

Cory

What about the Ford F-150 with the 3.5l EcoBoost engine? Why has Ford not introduced 4WD for that truck yet? Certainly a demand would be there.

She’s so close yet so far away! You only have to wait until tomorrow now. :D

Cory

I got her !!! Shes a beauty, ill post some pics over the weekend.

So far, the 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic™ Transmission, is the only change ive been able to spot.

Lower front bumber lip remains unchanged.

Enjoy your new x!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back