Sport Oil questions & Analysis | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Oil questions & Analysis

Best bet might be to verify what your Oil Life Monitor tells you about your Driving habits and as to when to change the oil, and subtract 2500 - 3000 miles from that for Oil change and use full synthetic as it sure is better however not REQUIRED. Whatever rocks your cradle.....is the way to go.

Sounds like a good plan, Sunny. How do I go about getting this information from the OLM? Is it something I can just get through the display menus?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out page 132 of your Owner's Guide. Settings/Vehicle/Oil life reset. That will show you the percentage.

Peter

Thanks Peter. After I posted I was hoping I wasn't having a "not RTFM" moment. Forgot about the percent oil life remaining readout, which I won't need to consult the manual to find (hopefully).

After sending a sample of the Motorcraft factory oil out to Blackstone at 1,000 miles, I'm glad I dumped it then since it had already begun shearing. Not sure I would have wanted to run that out to whatever the OLM would indicate, especially if it was 10,000 miles or so.

First oil change was Mobil1 5W30 and it will get new oil at every 5,000 miles, which is about once-a-year for me. Since we do a lot of in-town (i.e. "Severe service") driving, that interval is perfect. I also have my OLM on the "Tow" setting, so the "reminder" will be at shorter intervals anyway.

EDIT: First UOA attached...

ExplorerSportUOA_zps31cee54a.jpg

Hi Joe - thanks for posting that.

Those tests are the best single way we have to determine when oil changes are necessary, and when they are not. They are even better (more reliable) than the oil change monitor present on the vehicle.

When I look at it, the report says that the oil was still in excellent condition and an oil change was not necessary at that time. The TBN shows it has a lot of life left in it, there are no destructive levels of any of the contaminants tested for, and the oil viscosity has not increased (which oil does as it ages, unless diluted by contaminants, which has been ruled out by the tests).

So I'm not sure- is there other information are you going by when you say that you are happy you changed it? I'm asking partly because I am getting close to the 2000 mile mark myself.

It was nothing "scientific" - I've just always liked to get oil out of a new engine a bit early to toss all the wear metals. I'm sure I could have gone longer, but it's just personal preference. Since it had actually sheared down a bit, I was also fine with that first drain interval even if the TBN still gave it life (although the cold flow would have been a bit better this time of year!).

JRGoffin, Since it was your first oil change on a brand new engine, it was expected. The moment I took my Sport out of the showroom back on Nov-22nd, I took it for a spin to Oregon Coast and back driving approx. 3600 miles + 1000 miles in local driving and i got my first oil change at 5000 miles in favor of full synthetic. I still had 52% life remaining on the OLM on the first oil change but just because i like to run synthetic Mobil 1, I went for a change. It is common to have more metal particles in the first oil change which is normally caught by the oil filter. As long as you are using Full Synthetic and changing Oil filter at every Oil change at around 7000 miles, One can drive without any worries in any kind of conditions. However if the OLM comes on before 7000 miles, one should go for an oil change anyways. It all depends on the weather conditions, driving habits etc. There is not really a rule of thumb. It is more of a personal preference while complying with warranty and keeping your baby fed fine. I do not really see any issues with your test report and you could have driven more if you wanted. Like i said personal preference.

Yep, just personal preference. After rebuilding some other engines in past years, I always liked to do the first oil change a bit early to get the normal wear metals out (since I also like the M1 oil, it was also a good excuse to get it in there earlier too). The once-a-year change will still end up being about 5,000 miles, so that is fine, especially with the bulk of it being around-town stop-and-go driving.

I use Mobil 1 5W30 Full Synthetic purchased from Walmart. Walmart sure has the best price on that oil. Amsoil may be the best filter however i stick with OEM Filter recommended by Ford which is Motocraft. I change oil between 6000 and 7500 miles. The Oil Life Monitor of my ExSport tells me that based on my driving habits, i will need to change oil between 10,000 - 12,000 miles, still I stick with the schedule of changing oil between 6000 - 7500 miles. I know Full synthetic is going to last me at least 10,000 miles but just for peace of mind, i change it anyways. Hope this helps you decide. Best bet might be to verify what your Oil Life Monitor tells you about your Driving habits and as to when to change the oil, and subtract 2500 - 3000 miles from that for Oil change and use full synthetic as it sure is better however not REQUIRED. Whatever rocks your cradle.....is the way to go.

Good advice. I love Mobil 1 and I buy at Wally World too. Do you have the twin-turbo?

The Sport model only comes with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine.

Peter

That is exactly right... But hey, its still a free country..

I use Amsoil 5w-30 at about 7500k... But Im sure there are a LOT of opinions!

Im going to pull a sample of my AMSOIL at about 6000 to check on fuel dilution. and will go from there.

and yes 5w30 not 5w20 for the sport.

Marymark, Like Peter said.....Sports model is only Ecoboost 3.5 liter Twin-turbo's.

and yes 5w30 not 5w20 for the sport.

On first oil change, I switched to Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5w-20 for my 2014 Sport. Definitely not noticing any better MPG... so I think I'll be going (back) to 30 on my next oil change.

On first oil change, I switched to Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5w-20 for my 2014 Sport. Definitely not noticing any better MPG... so I think I'll be going (back) to 30 on my next oil change.

Being Turbocharged , You want to stay with a 30 weight oil.

ok. would you say it would hurt the engine? and would you recommend changing (back to 30) immediately (or is waiting till next oil change fine)? and could you elaborate on why 30 over 20 for turbos.

ok. would you say it would hurt the engine? and would you recommend changing (back to 30) immediately (or is waiting till next oil change fine)? and could you elaborate on why 30 over 20 for turbos.

The ecoboost suffers from fuel dilution (being direct injected and turbocharged it comes with the territory)
Which causes the oil to "dilute" out of grade.
My first oil change on mine the 30 weight was diluted to a 20 weight. You do t want to run that 20 weight to the point it becomes a 10 weight.
If you want to upgrade to a better oil , I can hook you up.

With a methanol injection kit (which I plan to add soon), would I want to run an even higher weight?

I do almost all street driving, tuned, and led foot. I did the first oil change at 3500 miles. Running the 20w now... when would you recommend changing it back out for 30+ weight?

With a methanol injection kit (which I plan to add soon), would I want to run an even higher weight?

I do almost all street driving, tuned, and led foot. I did the first oil change at 3500 miles. Running the 20w now... when would you recommend changing it back out for 30+ weight?

probably the same interval

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to upgrade to a better oil , I can hook you up.

Thanks for the good info. I'll change back to the higher weight around 7000 miles. What kind of hook up can you get for me? It kind of always seemed to me that the shipping weight of oil would kill any kind of deal!

Back