2015 Explorer - Update Audio (APIM+Screen+USB) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer - Update Audio (APIM+Screen+USB)

MuellerAndrewRay

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Ford Explorer Ltd
I know there are some threads about updating, just trying to get some more general advice. I have a 2015 Limited with the Sony system. I want to update to SYNC v3.4 and it appears from what I read that I need, at minimum, an APIM, an 8" Screen, and the USB Dock. I have all the dash tools since I bought them for removing the dash to get to the hot/cold actuator motor.

I've tried to find on salvage sites, but I haven't found a site that isn't crazy-painful to find parts on. I found many on eBay for close to $700 (Factory SYNC 2 to SYNC 3 Upgrade Kit for Ford SYNC3.4 Carplay NA220 USA STOCK | eBay). And one on Amazon for $799
BestRefitCar 2021 SYNC 3 Upgrade Kit, Fits for 2015 Ford Explorer, SYNC 2 to SYNC3.4

And then there is the Infotainment company to get really pricey and BBB info seems to show they aren't very good.

I'm ready to pull the trigger, but just do not know which way to go :( I've got my typical analysis-paralysis. Any suggestions are very much welcome!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there anyone here who can stop my paralysis? :)

You might have better luck in the Sync 3 forum. Particularly these threads:

You might have better luck in the Sync 3 forum. Particularly these threads:

I've read through all the threads. But I did think I was in that forum when I posted. I must have jumped to another tab :(

You need:
Apim nav or non-nav depending on your preference
Recessed style screen
USB hub
USB hub plug adapter
GPS antenna (or 2017-2019 "sharkfin" from explorer/edge/mkc (yellow dual fakra connector and 3 pin connector with a single blue wire, it's different than most other Fords) with GPS built in and 2017 dash splitter cable)
Programming for the APIM via Forscan

If you're on facebook look up Mitral Shah he has a great reputation and sells complete programmed kits starting around 600 bucks.

You need:
Apim nav or non-nav depending on your preference
Recessed style screen
USB hub
USB hub plug adapter
GPS antenna (or 2017-2019 "sharkfin" from explorer/edge/mkc (yellow dual fakra connector and 3 pin connector with a single blue wire, it's different than most other Fords) with GPS built in and 2017 dash splitter cable)
Programming for the APIM via Forscan

If you're on facebook look up Mitral Shah he has a great reputation and sells complete programmed kits starting around 600 bucks.

Thanks. I will find out Monday, but I got the following from a salvage yard for $272+tax:

• 8” Screen
  • The APIM module (which essentially runs the screen, I think it is attached to the screen anyway
  • The cabling that runs in between, of course
  • The GPS Cable that goes with it
  • The USB cabling and faceplate (My USB is different and wouldn’t work with that specific version, so I would have to change it out)
  • Vent - Slider mechanism that moves the vent directionally
At least, that is what I asked for and they will have pulled from a 2018 Explorer by Monday. The only listed part number is for the screen, which is: GB5T18B955SC. But I know that will fit with my 2015, so the rest should be good, hopefully.

Thanks. I will find out Monday, but I got the following from a salvage yard for $272+tax:

• 8” Screen
  • The APIM module (which essentially runs the screen, I think it is attached to the screen anyway
  • The cabling that runs in between, of course
  • The GPS Cable that goes with it
  • The USB cabling and faceplate (My USB is different and wouldn’t work with that specific version, so I would have to change it out)
  • Vent - Slider mechanism that moves the vent directionally
At least, that is what I asked for and they will have pulled from a 2018 Explorer by Monday. The only listed part number is for the screen, which is: GB5T18B955SC. But I know that will fit with my 2015, so the rest should be good, hopefully.
They're probably just going to give you the gps cable splitter, you'd need the roof antenna as well to make that work. Alternatively you can get a cheap puck style antenna on amazon for like 15 bucks. Unfortunately there's only like one that actually works without causing errors. If you have a non-nav you won't get them onscreen but they'll trigger in the APIM DTCs, if you have a nav unit you'll get a see the dealer notice every couple startups because most of them are just barely on the edge of the spec Ford antennas use (I think it's just resistance related, from what I've gathered digging through it like many checks the APIM simply checks the resistance on the antenna to see if it's in range to determine initially if it's "working"). The other thing you'll need is Forscan and the correct AB info for your vehicle which needs to be custom written. Also, if you upgrade to Sync 3.4 there are some bugs, but none are deal breakers. 3.3 works flawlessly but doesn't have the latest interface enhancements (some like calm screen may also require a firmware update of the APIM though).

They're probably just going to give you the gps cable splitter, you'd need the roof antenna as well to make that work. Alternatively you can get a cheap puck style antenna on amazon for like 15 bucks. Unfortunately there's only like one that actually works without causing errors. If you have a non-nav you won't get them onscreen but they'll trigger in the APIM DTCs, if you have a nav unit you'll get a see the dealer notice every couple startups because most of them are just barely on the edge of the spec Ford antennas use (I think it's just resistance related, from what I've gathered digging through it like many checks the APIM simply checks the resistance on the antenna to see if it's in range to determine initially if it's "working"). The other thing you'll need is Forscan and the correct AB info for your vehicle which needs to be custom written. Also, if you upgrade to Sync 3.4 there are some bugs, but none are deal breakers. 3.3 works flawlessly but doesn't have the latest interface enhancements (some like calm screen may also require a firmware update of the APIM though).
ah, thanks for that info. Didn't realize I needed that GPS antenna, I thought it was some kind of internal GPS that stuck like a magnet (based upon what I *thought* I read).
I was going to get the programming done by DanMc85 that was linked somewhere if I couldn't figure it out myself. I did want to go up to 3.4, though. I was hoping because it was Explorer-to-Explorer (instead of taking a unit from a Mustang/F150/Edge/Other) that it might just work without much of anything. I read that somewhere also :) I've read a lot of stuff and most of it was conflicting lol

ah, thanks for that info. Didn't realize I needed that GPS antenna, I thought it was some kind of internal GPS that stuck like a magnet (based upon what I *thought* I read).
I was going to get the programming done by DanMc85 that was linked somewhere if I couldn't figure it out myself. I did want to go up to 3.4, though. I was hoping because it was Explorer-to-Explorer (instead of taking a unit from a Mustang/F150/Edge/Other) that it might just work without much of anything. I read that somewhere also :) I've read a lot of stuff and most of it was conflicting lol
Unless they're selling you a kit and know what they're doing it'll probably just be the OEM cable (which ironically is pretty expensive, think I paid 45 bucks for one to do the shark fin swap). Unfortunately the 11-15 are different in a lot of ways than the 16-19. A 16 would probably more or less work but a 15 will need several settings changed as they use an older network architecture. If they'll give you a good deal on the shark fin from the donor it's a pretty easy swap, hardest part is pulling down the headliner without damaging it to unbolt the antenna. If you go that route make sure they give you the retaining bolt and bracket from below as it's different. I had to jerry rig one for mine. If you want the aftermarket route I believe this is the one that actually works right: Amazon product ASIN B006AKVX2S

Unless they're selling you a kit and know what they're doing it'll probably just be the OEM cable (which ironically is pretty expensive, think I paid 45 bucks for one to do the shark fin swap). Unfortunately the 11-15 are different in a lot of ways than the 16-19. A 16 would probably more or less work but a 15 will need several settings changed as they use an older network architecture. If they'll give you a good deal on the shark fin from the donor it's a pretty easy swap, hardest part is pulling down the headliner without damaging it to unbolt the antenna. If you go that route make sure they give you the retaining bolt and bracket from below as it's different. I had to jerry rig one for mine. If you want the aftermarket route I believe this is the one that actually works right: Amazon product ASIN B006AKVX2S

Makes sense. And I'm not even sure if the one in that vehicle has NAV to be honest. I doubt they know either. I don't even really care since I use my phone for that anyway. I think the phone can push the Nav to the screen anyway via Android Auto, correct?

And, definitely not a kit. This is from a salvage yard, straight from a 2018 Explorer. They are just pulling parts. I did just email about that shark fin antenna, though. Hopefully they can pull that as well :)

.............................................The only listed part number is for the screen, which is: GB5T18B955SC. But I know that will fit with my 2015, so the rest should be good, hopefully.
When searching GB5T-18B955-SC on the Internet, all I found was that it seem to be for 2016-2019 Explorers. Don't forget there was a refresh done in 2016 and some things changed software-wise as well.

Peter

When searching GB5T-18B955-SC on the Internet, all I found was that it seem to be for 2016-2019 Explorers. Don't forget there was a refresh done in 2016 and some things changed software-wise as well.

Peter
They’re upgrading to sync 3 so it has to be for 2017-2019, year is only an issue for the FCIM as 2011-2015 are a different size and network protocol so you have to reuse it or source one if you’re doing a sync 1 upgrade. The sync 3 screen and apim bolt in and with the right settings work.

I'm not sure I understood any of that :-(

As an FYI, I looked at this thread where the guy has the same 2015 Limited as me (well, not the same obviously): 2015 Explorer Sport - upgrading Sync 2 to Sync 3 - have few ?'s

Hopefully it all works out - but either way I will come back and let everyone know my heartaches and/or excitement. Probably will be sometime this week depending upon if I have to order any other parts.

FCIM (front controls interface module) = the HVAC and radio button panel. 2011-2015 and 2016-2019 are not interchangeable between those two "generations" was really the main point of my message. 2017-2019 Sync 3 units bolt in and with the correct settings will work, no one has managed to come up with a fix to make the FCIM interchangeable, which usually doesn't matter as the early FCIM works fine with Sync 3, but if you were coming from a 4" system you'd need the correct FCIM "generation" and an adapter harness or re-wriing as 4" and sync 2/3 are wired slightly differently. Generally any FCIM with the correct options can be used with a sync 3 upgrade, but the Explorer is somewhat unique in that it changed electronics networking systems rather significantly mid cycle. The Flex/Taurus/MKS/MKT all based on the same platform didn't change, presumably because those models were all slated to be discontinued sooner or later and they opted not to add features that required the newer network where the explorer is a highly popular and continued model so they went ahead and changed it over. Peter's post is correct that the part # for the screen you provided is for 2017-2019, but that's because those are the only years that have sync 3, since this is an "upgrade" to newer features that's to be expected.

FCIM (front controls interface module) = the HVAC and radio button panel. 2011-2015 and 2016-2019 are not interchangeable between those two "generations" was really the main point of my message. 2017-2019 Sync 3 units bolt in and with the correct settings will work, no one has managed to come up with a fix to make the FCIM interchangeable, which usually doesn't matter as the early FCIM works fine with Sync 3, but if you were coming from a 4" system you'd need the correct FCIM "generation" and an adapter harness or re-wriing as 4" and sync 2/3 are wired slightly differently. Generally any FCIM with the correct options can be used with a sync 3 upgrade, but the Explorer is somewhat unique in that it changed electronics networking systems rather significantly mid cycle. The Flex/Taurus/MKS/MKT all based on the same platform didn't change, presumably because those models were all slated to be discontinued sooner or later and they opted not to add features that required the newer network where the explorer is a highly popular and continued model so they went ahead and changed it over. Peter's post is correct that the part # for the screen you provided is for 2017-2019, but that's because those are the only years that have sync 3, since this is an "upgrade" to newer features that's to be expected.

Makes sense. I'm going from an 8" to 8" in this case. Hopefully it works out. Got me really worried for a bit there. I'm less worried after re-visiting the thread I mentioned above.

Makes sense. I'm going from an 8" to 8" in this case. Hopefully it works out. Got me really worried for a bit there. I'm less worried after re-visiting the thread I mentioned above.
You should have no issues, the hardest part was getting my as-built data customized just right and some of that was me being **** and updating to 3.4 and then enabling all the explorer specific graphics they added in 3.4 and doing some other non-standard tweaking. It was well worth doing to my car, I'm trying to find a rock bottom deal on another set to do my wife's fusion.

You should have no issues, the hardest part was getting my as-built data customized just right and some of that was me being **** and updating to 3.4 and then enabling all the explorer specific graphics they added in 3.4 and doing some other non-standard tweaking. It was well worth doing to my car, I'm trying to find a rock bottom deal on another set to do my wife's fusion.

I'm debating how to do this... I am a programmer, but I also have heard people have messed it up pretty bad :) And I know there is the DanMc85 who does it for a cost. I also will have to buy that programming dongle thingy, I suspect. I have an ODB Bluetooth interface that I use with the Forscan app on my Android phone, but not sure that would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I got the unit today. They gave me: The screen, APIM, and the interconnector between the 2.

They couldn't get me the following: Shark Fin for GPS (nbd, I'll use Carplay), and the USB Media faceplate and cabling (more important to me). Is there a place to get that piece on the internet? Having a tough time finding the right one. Also - I think I can get this GPS (Amazon product ASIN B07R6NL5G6) if I wanted to install that, correct?

Back