How to: - 2016 Explorer- Adding Remote Start Facts | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2016 Explorer- Adding Remote Start Facts

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
To find every litte feature your car has just go to this site and plug in your VIN.
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=10F353148DA07DB5481507D7D648A3EA.fcvas507

Peter
Okay...WOW...I'm not even going to try to pretend I have a clue what any of that meant on the ETIS site. I was able to view and print my options list, thanks very much - although some of it seems wrong, like saying "less Courtesy Light Delay" or "less Rear Seat Belts" or "less Tailgate Badges" when it does have all of those things. BUT, it does have the Perimeter Alarm, which is what I was looking for, thanks much! One other odd thing is that it doesn't show my car service records - and I just had it at a major Ford dealer on 2-8-17 for some issues, plus they replaced the recalled (TSB?) Electronic Throttle Body. But again, I didn't understand anything on that site! Can I make my own sign-in and add parts like the OEM Running Boards?

BTW Peter, you finally broke me and I upgraded my account today! Hope it helps maintain this site, it really is a great deal of help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay...WOW...I'm not even going to try to pretend I have a clue what any of that meant on the ETIS site. I was able to view and print my options list, thanks very much - although some of it seems wrong, like saying "less Courtesy Light Delay" or "less Rear Seat Belts" or "less Tailgate Badges" when it does have all of those things. BUT, it does have the Perimeter Alarm, which is what I was looking for, thanks much! One other odd thing is that it doesn't show my car service records - and I just had it at a major Ford dealer on 2-8-17 for some issues, plus they replaced the recalled (TSB?) Electronic Throttle Body. But again, I didn't understand anything on that site! Can I make my own sign-in and add parts like the OEM Running Boards?

BTW Peter, you finally broke me and I upgraded my account today! Hope it helps maintain this site, it really is a great deal of help!
I thought there was something different about your margin profile. Thanks for joining. As for the ETIS list I also have a couple of the "less" items that you mentioned. Perhaps they refer to something other than what we have. I don't think you can add to it.

Peter

I have a 2017 XLT , it has IAK push button start, and factory perimeter alarm, and has the factory hood switch. It has the 315mhz 3 button IAK key fobs. I just want to add remote start (not RMU).

I have the FT4Z-19A361-A VSS and DL3Z-15603-C antenna, and remote start fobs on order.

I already have the 2016-2017 Scalable Truck Kit installation instructions and have read through them. For my 2017 Explorer, the instructions show that the remote start IDS programming is only needed for key start vehicles, that the remote start IDS steps are to be skipped over for push start IAK vehicles. And since I have factory perimeter alarm and hood switch, I don't need the IDS activation for them.

So if I follow these directions I do not need anything enabled in IDS at all, because I have a IAK push start vehicle. It would be different if it was key start.

I am hoping that this is all correct and not a misprint. I will find out in a few days when my parts get here, but it would be nice to know now. Other than the Ford instructions, I cannot find any reference to this fact on this forum or any other.

I know there is an aftermarket remote start on ebay that upon installing it, it sends the changes to the vehicle and enables the remote start menu on the instrument cluster by itself. Is this Ford unit going to do the same thing?

If remote start isn't enabled (it would be in the cluster) then it will require that it be enabled by the dealer.

If remote start isn't enabled (it would be in the cluster) then it will require that it be enabled by the dealer.
Thank you Jason. Any idea why the instructions say to skip the IDS steps for IAK push button vehicles?

I bought the OBDLink MX wifi and along with Forscan I was able to enable the remote start. All working well now.

You will need to get a new VSS kit. You can reuse the RMU. I did the exact same thing when going from the 13 Taurus to the 16 Sport.

Pics of my VSS/RMU installation I did in the 16 Sport.

I know this post has been going on and on - and I've honestly been trying to follow this as well as some others but I am lost, lost, lost!

I have the '16 Explorer Limited 4x4, it has push button start, it has remote start. It has the FOB with Un/Lock, Open/close hatch, and emergency. I looked on ETIS and it does have the Perimeter Alarm included in the original build.

There are so many abbreviations in some posts that I don't know what they mean so I'm more confused. IDK? What is the difference between VSS and the Perimeter Alarm? If it has the Perimeter Alarm, does that mean it has VSS (I assume Vehicle Security System? I thought Vehicle Speed Sensor at one point!)

So, again, I have factory installed Remote Start, Push Button On/Off, Perimeter Alarm, and it does have the Hood Open switch.

All I want to add is the Cell Phone add-on, I believe RMU? AND the flashing, blue Security LED. Both part numbers are listed on the Ford site in accessories and I'm sure I can get them on eBay cheaper - or another dealer.

Here is what is confusing me; this VSS / IDK / Perimeter stuff! I've looked behind the panel above the Parking Brake and see a little box very similar or the same as what it seems some are referring to as the Plug and Play box. But then I see pictures of the Shift/Console item taken apart with the SIM card for the RMU (? I think?) and talk of running lines here and there.

With what I've listed as already in my vehicle, can someone PLEASE tell me the only parts I need? I believe I simply need the:

Vehicle Security OPTIONAL LED Kit #DM5Z-19D596-A $15 - it says:
For Use with Upgradeable Vehicle Security System
Requires Vehicle Security System Plug N Play Base Module DT4Z-19A361-A
Available for kits with VSS function activated.

Remote Access # DL3Z-19A390-B $385.71 (Ford site) for Cell Phone access - it says:
Vehicle Security Kit 19A361 at an additional cost. Again, do I already have this if the Perimeter Alarm is factory installed?

I honestly thought this would be a simple little project until I started reading all these forum posts, and then it got so complicated between different years, swapping parts between years, using info from F150 posts, but mostly, either abbreviations I didn't know or how so many trim levels have such incredibly different pieces/parts! I need a hug! Not really.

I do still realize that once the pieces are all installed that the Cell Phone Access (RMU - I'm afraid to use abbreviations now) still must be activated by the dealer. If I can't make sense out of something I thought would be so simple, I may end up just paying the dealer $500+ to install this thing - which I'd really rather not do!

UPDATE (I actually typed this last night but didn't hit Send so this info here is actually a day later):

I crawled around under my driver side dash best I could just to see what I could see and try and tell what parts people were talking about. The OBD connector is the black female plug down next to the hood release, right? Between that connector and the hood release is a button on the bottom exposed panel - what looks to me is a Valet Switch. Just a small, black button held on by 2 screws. I haven't seen anyone else mention this. Aside from that, on the back side of the panel, it appears that the OBD connector goes into a rather large, white "box" (it's plastic and is obviously some type of wiring connector, it looks like a large connector could disconnect from this white piece, as their are a LOT of wires coming off of this). There is a quite large wiring bundle stuffed back there, I believe coming from that white "box" and a great deal of pigtails connected to nothing. I took a bunch of pictures, I'll try to post, maybe that will help if anyone has the time. Thanks.

16 Explorer OBDII.jpg
OBDII Connector by White Box.jpg
White box Connector.jpg
Pigtails from White Box.jpg
16 Explorer possible valet switch.JPG

So, I hope that's enough info but not way too much info. Obviously pictures 1 and 2 are the OBDII connector, the second one showing the "White Box" wiring harness which I have no idea what it is. The third picture clearly shows the massive amount of wires coming from that white box. The 4th picture shows SOME of the pigtails from that wiring ball, there are many unconnected leads mashed up in the ball. And the last picture shows what I guess is the Valet Switch which I've heard nobody mention - but it's wire comes from that big wire ball. I'm really wondering what all those leads go to. I don't have any of the "Collision Avoidance, Lane Stay, Cruise Adjust" etc - if I did, would those modules go into these leads (and can I buy them and make them work?)

At least I do believe I know what to do as far as adding the RMU (Cell Phone App). I'm assuming that I do indeed need the VSS and the RMU modules (already in my basket at Tasca) and I want the blue LED (although that "Valet Switch" does have a light on the end - I've never seen it on though.) which seems self explanatory. I just want to make sure I can follow the info given by others, replace this OBDII module with the new one supplied with the VSS, the original OBD plugs into the red end, the new one goes where the original was, plug into the box and mount on solid surface with sensitivity dial accessible, add the RMU, call Ford, pay $50 and get the PIN, mount the blue LED. (this is the simplistic version, I would go back and re-read everyone else's posts as nauseum!). One final question which I think I know - I assume my original big FOB (with the key folded inside a la Swiss Army Knife) still works the remote start (along with the phone) and I don't need an EXTRA FOBS, as I haven't seen any FOBS in the kit pictures. Good God, this is more complicated than replacing the 6-CD player in my 08 Expedition with the Kenwood Excelon GPS/Nav, DVD, bluetooth, phone, satellite, HDRadio system - and that was a massive amount of wiring to run!

Any help/suggestions are appreciated and I have no problem if you make me feel stupid, the more simplistic the suggestion/info, the better! Just be nice about it, I already know I can be stupid.

I'm in Goodyear next week so I can come over and give you a hug, that's not an issue!

I have done the install that you wish to do but I got help from JRM061

Your last paragraph is correct on what you need to do.

Yes, the Explorer comes with an alarm system but the VSS (Vehicle Security System) module is an upgrade and you need to buy it. It will come with an OBDII port harness that does exactly what you described, it extends the OBDII port by plugging into the back of it and providing a new female OBDII to be mounted in OEM position for diagnosis by Ford Service.

That harness plugs into the VSS module and again your correct in mounting that module to a subframe structure for vibration sensitivity.

That VSS module then excepts the harness/cable from the RMU and the red/blue LED Security light that is very disappointing in its brightness.

I put the RMU up high for better cell reception, it's under the driver's side A-pillar interior trim piece next to the dash. So you could look into the windshield and see it when the interior A-Pillar trim is off.

That bundle of wires and that valet switch you have in the pictures is not anything OEM, its aftermarket.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2a90.jpg

There are so many abbreviations in some posts that I don't know what they mean so I'm more confused. IDK?
I also find that far too many abbreviations are used and are expected to be understood by all members. FYI, IDK = I Don't Know. At least that is my understanding or AFAIK (As Far As I Know).:D

Peter

I'm in Goodyear next week so I can come over and give you a hug, that's not an issue!

I have done the install that you wish to do but I got help from JRM061

Your last paragraph is correct on what you need to do.

Yes, the Explorer comes with an alarm system but the VSS (Vehicle Security System) module is an upgrade and you need to buy it. It will come with an OBDII port harness that does exactly what you described, it extends the OBDII port by plugging into the back of it and providing a new female OBDII to be mounted in OEM position for diagnosis by Ford Service.

That harness plugs into the VSS module and again your correct in mounting that module to a subframe structure for vibration sensitivity.

That VSS module then excepts the harness/cable from the RMU and the red/blue LED Security light that is very disappointing in its brightness.

I put the RMU up high for better cell reception, it's under the driver's side A-pillar interior trim piece next to the dash. So you could look into the windshield and see it when the interior A-Pillar trim is off.

That bundle of wires and that valet switch you have in the pictures is not anything OEM, its aftermarket.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2a90.jpg
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! The more I read, the more confused I got but I also got a BIT of understanding as well - like figuring out that I did need the VSS. I originally assumed that if the vehicle had the Perimeter Alarm that it therefore had a VSS already - at least, that sounds like how it should work in theory. Nope.

As for the ball of wire and connectors, one which runs to the assumed Valet Switch.... That large white plastic box next to my OBD which is very clear and prominent in my 3rd picture - is that aftermarket as well? Coming from that white thing are lots and lots of yellow wires mostly, some light green and a pink-ish one and all of those go into the ball which has lots and lots of wire connectors of different types, some fuses, and then coming out are all those pig-tails (quite a few of them) of all different sizes. If they go to nothing, do nothing, I'd like to remove it - but who knows what the wires originate from. I'm just concerned that whatever it is will make my install more difficult. What is your opinion? (there are just a bunch of zip-ties holding that ball-o-wire together).

Lastly, thanks for explaining why you mounted your RMU so high, that makes a lot of sense! Modules have been ordered!!

If that set up is a valet switch I don't understand the idea of it

What is the idea behind a valet switch, what does it restrict the valet from doing?

Don't we have an OEM MyKey valet set up in the Drivers Information Center?

I wonder if it's simply an anti-theft switch that allows you to disengage the electric fuel pump or something so if the vehicle was compromised electronically with a fob exploit or wireless input it still wouldn't start?

I also find that far too many abbreviations are used and are expected to be understood by all members. FYI, IDK = I Don't Know. At least that is my understanding or AFAIK (As Far As I Know).:D

Peter
New to this internet stuff, eh?:rolleyes:

If that set up is a valet switch I don't understand the idea of it

What is the idea behind a valet switch, what does it restrict the valet from doing?

Don't we have an OEM MyKey valet set up in the Drivers Information Center?

I wonder if it's simply an anti-theft switch that allows you to disengage the electric fuel pump or something so if the vehicle was compromised electronically with a fob exploit or wireless input it still wouldn't start?
I have never understood the purpose of Valet Switches myself (assuming that's what this is, I really don't know - this car was from a rental fleet, so perhaps they installed some special system for their own purposes).

I recall installing an alarm system in an '89 Nissan 240SX back in 1994, getting into the steering wheel column to install the starter cut-off wires (a royal PIA), and it had a switch you were to install around the dash hood-pop area which bypassed the alarm OR, when pressed in a certain sequence, could shut off the alarm if the keys weren't with the car. It also had a hood-open switch/alarm (like modern cars) and you installed the alarm speaker in the engine compartment, and it had a glass-break "microphone" detector. At the time, these were state-of-art, expensive systems!

This was when you could pre-program the alarm for active or passive modes; Active would arm the car automatically once the engine was off within a set period of time. If you used a Valet, pressing the switch prevented the car from arming while parked in the Valet lot, as you didn't give the Valet the entire FOB (this was back when EVERYONE started having alarms put in their car and I, at my wise age, hot-**** self of 33 thought everyone would wish to steal my "hot-rod" Nissan (it actually was a beautiful, mint car). This being in Phoenix, the car-theft capital of the states.) I'm pretty sure I'm recalling that being how it worked then. Something like that. Now, 23 years later, I'm not quite as sharp as I was!

Anyway, whatever this thing turns out to be, I honestly hope when I install the new VSS and RMU and the disappointingly dull alarm flasher that nothing interferes with the new set up. BTW, do I need to purchase the Proscan device that plugs into the OBD (I think that's what people called it) for any programming? If so, are there suggestions for a brand or is there only one brand that works with the '16 Explorer. I do really appreciate everyone's help and expertise and that my problems might one day help others.

I have never understood the purpose of Valet Switches myself (assuming that's what this is, I really don't know - this car was from a rental fleet, so perhaps they installed some special system for their own purposes).

I recall installing an alarm system in an '89 Nissan 240SX back in 1994, getting into the steering wheel column to install the starter cut-off wires (a royal PIA), and it had a switch you were to install around the dash hood-pop area which bypassed the alarm OR, when pressed in a certain sequence, could shut off the alarm if the keys weren't with the car. It also had a hood-open switch/alarm (like modern cars) and you installed the alarm speaker in the engine compartment, and it had a glass-break "microphone" detector. At the time, these were state-of-art, expensive systems!

This was when you could pre-program the alarm for active or passive modes; Active would arm the car automatically once the engine was off within a set period of time. If you used a Valet, pressing the switch prevented the car from arming while parked in the Valet lot, as you didn't give the Valet the entire FOB (this was back when EVERYONE started having alarms put in their car and I, at my wise age, hot-**** self of 33 thought everyone would wish to steal my "hot-rod" Nissan (it actually was a beautiful, mint car). This being in Phoenix, the car-theft capital of the states.) I'm pretty sure I'm recalling that being how it worked then. Something like that. Now, 23 years later, I'm not quite as sharp as I was!

Anyway, whatever this thing turns out to be, I honestly hope when I install the new VSS and RMU and the disappointingly dull alarm flasher that nothing interferes with the new set up. BTW, do I need to purchase the Proscan device that plugs into the OBD (I think that's what people called it) for any programming? If so, are there suggestions for a brand or is there only one brand that works with the '16 Explorer. I do really appreciate everyone's help and expertise and that my problems might one day help others.

Forscan OBDII device I think you mean, no you don't need it.

After installation, your dealership where you bought the parts has to activate your cellular Ford Remote Acess Account

New to this internet stuff, eh?:rolleyes:
I guess, if you consider 25+ years of being on it 'new'. Just don't see to use all these abbreviations here. Remember it is a public forum open to many different people with various backgrounds or understandings of vehicles and how they work. I have had to explain some of these abbreviations to members many times. At least the ones I could figure out. As I've posted several times, there is no charge for using extra letters here.:)

Peter

Forscan OBDII device I think you mean, no you don't need it.

After installation, your dealership where you bought the parts has to activate your cellular Ford Remote Acess Account
Yes, what you said.

I know the dealer has to activate it, just wondered if I needed it for anything else during installation. I may get one eventually anyway just for some of the nice tricks I've read people adjust with it (double honk!).

I guess, if you consider 25+ years of being on it 'new'. Just don't see to use all these abbreviations here. Remember it is a public forum open to many different people with various backgrounds or understandings of vehicles and how they work. I have had to explain some of these abbreviations to members many times. At least the ones I could figure out. As I've posted several times, there is no charge for using extra letters here.:)

Peter
Peter, maybe you should make an abbreviation dictionary for the site - I'm sure you've got nothing better to do! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter, maybe you should make an abbreviation dictionary for the site - I'm sure you've got nothing better to do! :)
Right now I'm off to watch a Stanley Cup game on TV plus the lowly and very last place Toronto Blue Jays.:D

Peter

Back