2016 Explorer Limited - Front bin power point not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Limited - Front bin power point not working

KITTinKC

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Limite
Hi, everyone! I just purchased a 2016 Explorer Limited, and tried using the electrical socket inside the front bin only to discover it doesn't work. The USB port and memory card slot do work fine. The power point in the rear cargo area does work. I tried swapping its fuse with the front bin power point's fuse, and still nothing. The rear power point still works fine and the one in the front bin isn't working. I'd like to check the connection, but I can't find a reference for disassembling to get to it. Or are there any other recommendations to try first? Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did you use to test the PP with? Did you use a meter to see if it actually is a power problem or a socket problem? It doesn't take very much to bend a prong where it doesn't make contact and makes you think that it doesn't work.

I've just been using a phone charger. I don't have a meter.

You are going to have to get a meter if you plan on doing any type of work on these vehicles, even trouble shooting a PP issue. You'll even find that once you have one and learn how to use it that it is also quite useful around the house.

You can find a good multi meter for less than $20 at most automotive stores. All you need is the capabilities to read DC/AC and ohms. If you have a Harbor Freight store near you you can pick one up there.

On my way to pick one up. :)

Once I have it, do I just test directly into the socket, or do I need to get back inside?

You can test just the socket. The 12volts will be on the very back of the socket and usually just a small pin. The outer shell of the socket is the ground

Great. I'll give that a try. Thank you!

Since the cargo area one was working I'm guessing that the ignition was in the accessory position or the vehicle was running when you tried them. Is that right? The power points aren't live when everything is turned off. Just verifying.;)

Peter

Checked it with a multimeter, and I don't get a reading. The PP in the rear gives me a 12v reading.

Peter, I've tried with the power off, accessory on, and engine on and nothing. We discovered the problem when we were driving and my wife tried to charge her phone with a car charger. (I've just been using the USB port to charge mine, so I've never actually had to use the power socket) Again, I also tried swapping the fuses and nothing changed.

Use your warranty.

I agree, unless you feel comfortable in taking the dash apart and tracing wiring it is time to take it to the dealer and use the warranty on the vehicle.

Back