• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer XLT alarm mystery

JayKramer

Reaction score
City, State
Palm Harbor Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Heading to dealer next week but wondered if anyone has a theory on this, because I am sure they will say 'cannot duplicate'...Only 1000 miles on the car and every few days the following happens...I would have my key in my pocket, exit car and touch the lock button, car locks fine, as soon as I get about 30 ft from the car the alarm goes off. Does not happen every time, but today was the 6th incident.
Another oddity was when I was washing my car the locks would activate as I sprayed the doors, again with key in pocket. Key fob definitely not being accidently pressed, very loose pockets. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spraying the doors is normal for it to lock. Been happening since the 5th gen came out.

As far as the 1st issue, only thing that I can think of is one of the door sensors randomly failing making the car think the door was opened. I had this happen on 2 of my doors on my F350. But I would get an alert while driving too that the door was open. Problem was it was so quick that by the time I looked down, the alert cleared so I had no idea what it was telling me.

Heading to dealer next week but wondered if anyone has a theory on this, because I am sure they will say 'cannot duplicate'...Only 1000 miles on the car and every few days the following happens...I would have my key in my pocket, exit car and touch the lock button, car locks fine, as soon as I get about 30 ft from the car the alarm goes off. Does not happen every time, but today was the 6th incident.
Another oddity was when I was washing my car the locks would activate as I sprayed the doors, again with key in pocket. Key fob definitely not being accidently pressed, very loose pockets. Thanks!

The dealer should have a tool that will be able to determined the source of what caused your alarm to go off, all of those electronic events are stored in memory. What you've described usually happens to older cars/trucks and is most of time is caused by the drivers door latch/switch going bad and switching on it's own tripping the alarm system by thinking a door is opened. Why the drivers door latch/switch on older vehicles, because it gets used most of the time.

There is a last alarm trigger PID that I've seen in the BCM using FORScan. I haven't validated that it actually records anything, but it's somewhere to check.

My car was randomly setting off it's alarm about 3 weeks before the battery finally gave up the ghost from a failing cell.

Just to be sure, do you have anything else in your pocket that could trigger the alarm button?

Peter

Try your other fob. My 16’ Sport had an overly sensitive fob off the lot. Doors mysteriously locked or unlocked, lift gate opening, panic alarm, etc...Luckily I was nearby when the gate opened by itself.

Maybe switch fobs for a bit and see if you still have the problem? Had the same issue as TwinExes on my ‘13 Sport - each of the buttons on my fob had a little foil backing glued to it where it touched the internal contact. One of them came unglued and was floating around loose inside the fob and would randomly touch and close other contacts - sometimes the alarm, but mine was mostly opening the tailgate - was annoying to come out into a parking lot and find my tailgate randomly opened! Was solved by cracking the remote open (like when replacing battery) and using just a touch of glue. My ‘18 sport has a different fob, but am guessing the internals are somewhat similar...

It may be a fairly easy diagnosis at the dealership. More specifically, they can check if any door switch caused the alarm to go off and also check the strength of the battery. If nothing internally caused the alarm to go off and the battery is strong, then it's more than likely the key fob.

I am so grateful of every one of you for great probable causes! I will get to the dealer this week and of course post whatever fix was needed so it may help others in the future. I am hopeful that yes they can pull an alarm code of some sort. Only 1100 miles grrr. I would hope its the fob, but alarm was triggered using either fob separately. Its to the point I lock car then hang around it for few minutes before walking away. Anyway, will keep you posted. I do also have the perimeter alarm, not sure if that adds another theory to the mystery.

Update to my alarm issue on my 2018 Explorer XLT, with 2000 miles, that has an issue of the alarm going off after locking with the touch button and strolling about 30 feet away with key (loosely) in pocket. Does not go off every time, but about 15 random times so far. I wont even name the 'repairing' dealer, to save them the embarrassment.
We left the car at dealership, since it happens every few days, I didn't expect them to be able to make it happen in one day, but at least they will pull the BIOS codes, but mentioned that only panic alarms throw codes and they already told me they will NOT go replacing parts without knowing the specific part that's bad. Umm ok.
Well, they found 3 panic alarms (which we never hit) and the other 12 alarms of course don't show in BIOS.
We were told:
"Sorry, we couldn't make it go off"
"Hey, don't even use the touch feature just go with the fob" (WTF?)
and they held true to their promise and refused to troubleshoot by replacing any parts or even the actual fobs (which already had new batteries), I asked for at least a new driver door sensor...nope.
and they handed me the keys.

We left the dealership pretty pizzed off. We went directly to a shopping center, locked my car with touch sensor and key in pocket and...yep, alarm blaring as we walked away.
I went on chat with Ford Corp. Rep, and she gave me a case number and looked up the dealers Service Manager and said he will call me. Never called. Went back to dealer. Service Manager would not even come out to talk to us, he used Service advisor to relay the message to leave the car 'a week or so'.
I said well even if it goes off in your possession, what would you do, because its the same as taking my word for it. I did get a shrug of the shoulders.
I don't know my next move, what would you do?

It sounds like to me that something is pressing the panic button whether you believe so or not. If IDS is recording panic alarm activation but says no actual security alarms it should be believed. Many people hate the panic button and have accidentally activated it while in their pocket even though they didn't believe it was possible due to loose fitting clothing etc.

Carry the fob differently, outside the pocket on a belt clip or just something to eliminate the possibility the button is being pressed. Could also be a bad FOB with an overly sensitive internal button on the panic. Pull the batteries of that fob and only use the other one.

I scared the dickens out of my neighbor the other day. He was standing next to my Explorer and I leaned into the counter top inside my house and pressed the panic button. He said that he almost jumped out of his skin when it went off.

It looks like for me it is time to take the laptop out to the Explorer and disable it.

......I don't know my next move, what would you do?
I'm not 100% convinced that the fob is the issue. When the alarm goes off are you able to stop it with the panic button? I haven't opened up the newer fob so I don't know if it is possible to somehow prevent that button from making contact with the circuit board or not. If you can and the alarm still goes off then you've eliminated the fob.
BTW, the doors locking/unlocking when washing the vehicle is normal. Place the fob out of range when doing the washing.

Peter

Thanks for your input Jason, I agree the accidental button push was a possibility but ruled out as I sometimes walk away holding the key without even touching the fob. Regarding an over sensitive Fob button, it has happened with my wife alone using her Fob and me alone using mine, the likelihood that both Fobs are bad seems miniscule. The dealer refuses to even change the fobs out anyway. When I asked the Service Advisor if the added Perimeter Plus alarm could be the culprit, he said he did not know what a Perimeter alarm was, as he was handing me my keys back.
Needless to say, we have since made an appointment with a known, more reputable dealer 80 miles away. Wil keep the board updated and thanks again for your help.

Wait, stop, what do you mean added perimeter plus system? Did a shock sensor get installed by chance?

Also, after the vehicle alarms and you enter it after disarming, do you get a double horn chirp when a door is opened?

And if it was added, was the proper one added? The 18 doesn't use the same one as the 16/17.

And if it was added, was the proper one added? The 18 doesn't use the same one as the 16/17.

Hmm, The salesman told us at purchase that the Perimeter Plus was added, but good point, is it a correct version? Will mention that as well to the new Dealership as well (since the old dealership advisor never heard of the Perimeter Plus)

To answer thefranchise above, no, when disarming by hitting unlock on fob, I do not get a double chirp when entering car.

You should look up under the dash and check if you can see it mounted anywhere. It plugs into the back (via a T-harness) to the DLC(OBD) connector.

If there is a shock sensor, it should have a tiny knob on it -- you can adjust it to reduce the sensitivity.

If you were wondering--on my vehicle, I get a double honk when I enter the car if the alarm had previously triggered. Was trying to distinguish it from a panic button activation.

I still say get that battery checked just in case--low voltage does /strange/ things, and Motorcraft batteries leave a lot to be desired lately.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Franchise and JMR thanks! I will try to post a photo of the Perimeter Plus under dash and request new batteries as well. We have another dealer who wants to check it as well. Will keep this thread updated if it gets solved.

Back