2019 Explorer Horn Sound | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer Horn Sound

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and just accepted delivery on my 2019 Explorer XLT.

The first thing I noticed was the wimpy horn. A quick search online brought me to getoemparts.com where I picked up the original set of horns for $19 plus another $12 for shipping. I ordered p/n GB5Z-13832A

The swap out took less than 30 minutes and it was plug and play. Although they came with the bracket i left the original bracket in the vehicle and just removed the one original horn with a 10mm socket. Installed both new horns on the original bracket and was delighted with the new sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, new to this forum and new to the world of Explorers. I just picked up my first Sport this past weekend and so far I truly love it. My only, albeit odd, complaint is this really strange, low pitch, almost whiney sound of the horn. It sounds like one you'd find in a car in the 1970's. I asked my dealer and he said that it was normal for this model unfortunately. I've had my fair share of 2017-18 Explorer Limited rental cars and do not recall this sound, so I am taking his word with a grain of salt. Does anyone have any information? Seems like a stupid thing to obsess about but it was barely audible on the road this morning. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
2019 Explorer Sport, I am experiencing the same dangerous low sounding horn. I have complained to Ford and the dealer with no progress. They say if we add the other horn it will void warranty. I showed them the parts list from Ford parts which clearly shows two horns. I recently found out Ford cheaped out on other Ford models. I am still pursuing a remedy.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, since the 2019 Explorer is designed and built with only a single horn, there is nothing that the dealer or Ford will do for you since it's "normal". Any attempt to have Ford remedy this is simply a waste of time. I don't know exactly what 'warranty' they are referring to. It will not void the factory 3 year, 36k mile warranty. Adding any aftermarket part can, however, have warranty implications but only if a part's failure is the direct result of the aftermarket installation. In that case, the warranty on that part is void. If it were my vehicle I would simply go out and buy the dual horns. See post #14.

Peter

Hi all, new to this forum and new to the world of Explorers. I just picked up my first Sport this past weekend and so far I truly love it. My only, albeit odd, complaint is this really strange, low pitch, almost whiney sound of the horn. It sounds like one you'd find in a car in the 1970's. I asked my dealer and he said that it was normal for this model unfortunately. I've had my fair share of 2017-18 Explorer Limited rental cars and do not recall this sound, so I am taking his word with a grain of salt. Does anyone have any information? Seems like a stupid thing to obsess about but it was barely audible on the road this morning. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
It appears that Ford got very cheap, they did it on a bunch of 2019 Ford models. If Ford was local I would sue them in small claims court just to annoy them. I also registered my complaint with national Highway and Traffic Association NHTSA, If they get enough complaints maybe they will recall all of them.

............I also registered my complaint with national Highway and Traffic Association NHTSA, If they get enough complaints maybe they will recall all of them.
I doubt that the NHTSA complaint will result in any type of action. I am sure that the single horn meets or exceeds any requirement for such a device. I have checked some of the various state requirements and they contained a similar statement. "Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a horn which is in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible, under normal conditions, for a distance of not less than two hundred feet."

Peter

Okay just sold by 2012 Explorer 81K and bought a used 2019 15k $25,400, fair deal. But I just hit the horn tonight in traffic and it soundEd like a toy compared to my 2012. Thought there’s a wire off or something, until I checked in with you guys tonight and learned otherwise. I’m pissed Ford thought it was A “Better Idea” and going to go unnoticed with a single horn.

After reading this thread, obviously this fix is on me! Does anyone have a Ford part number for the 2nd horn? price? Can it be installed on the same bracket? Or do I need to order and older model dual horn set? I won’t drive with it as designed. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Called Bradenton Ford, asked for a price for horn for 2019 XLT, tech took last five VIN numbers, price $82 and change, said the car should have a dual horn assembly. Sent to service, to make appointment, they said since Exp. was purchased used somebody took one horn off. Service took full VIN and waiting on return call for warranty coverage. Can’t live with the single horn, Ford should have just mounted a plastic Horn with a red rubber ball if they wanted to cut corners. Really disappointed in Ford on this $$ saving stunt. Let you know how Service responds.

I ordered a 2018 OEM horn for very little. It was all plug and play. Maybe two bolts to remove and a connector. The new one has two horns; went in easily and sounds as it should. Not worth the hassle of fighting with the dealer for what I think amounted to...like, $50 and 10min. of my time...

Shumax

Nobody removed the horn. That is the way it came. I guess the service department isn't aware of that. You could probably replace it yourself.
Here it is on the Ford website; https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/other-electrical-related-parts/horn-assy-6414607-1
$60.23 vs $39.75 from AutoNation. $41.92 at Tasca.

Peter
You’re probably right! my concern was going into the service shop thinking warranty repair and ending up paying full shop hourly rate with over priced parts. I found the horns located near the hood latch, easy access and has a different mounting bracket compared to the part # GB5Z-13832A I had been looking at.

Thanks much for the part # link and pricing!

You’re probably right! my concern was going into the service shop thinking warranty repair and ending up paying full shop hourly rate with over priced parts. I found the horns located near the hood latch, easy access and has a different mounting bracket compared to the part # GB5Z-13832A I had been looking at.

If you can turn a wrench, and unclip a connection, you can do this on your own VERY easily. It would be like paying someone to put air in your tires. Seriously, it's that easy to replace....

I'm sure that would not be a warranty repair but it can't hurt to ask. :)

Peter

Just an update. I was told by my Ford Dealer parts dept. the 2019 Explorer shows a two horn part and should be covered by warranty if only one was installed. Long story short, Service dept. never got back to me after I told them I’d bring it in if under warranty.
So went shopping for a dual Hi/Lo tone horn. Found this on eBay, $26.49, Ford wanted $82.
2001-2011 LINCOLN TOWN CAR DUAL HIGH & LOW COMPLETE OEM FIAMM HORN BRAND NEW | eBay

These are for a 2001/2011 Town car with the exact same Horn and connector as my 2019 Explorer. I’ve owned a half dozen Town Cars and their horns are loud and heathy sounding compared to my Explorer‘s anemic single horn sound. In fact the seller is a Taxi company.
The horns are FIAMM AM80SX, the same horn on my Explorer, but the sounds are tuned to different tones. Here’s a before and after clip, the dual horns are much louder than the single horn.

I have a movie audio clip ( horn.mov) of both horns but unable to figure out how to post it on this site

Hope this helps anyone disappointed with Fords 2019 Explorer.... Beep Beep!

Attachments

• 027FA88C-93E8-4A6C-9148-7F55032C0679.jpeg
    027FA88C-93E8-4A6C-9148-7F55032C0679.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 90

When I bought my 2019 explorer sport, it had only one horn installed but has a bracket to support two. I bought my own part and installed. Very easy. Ford part # is GB5Z13832-A. It's the same part # for 2018 & 2019 years. $50 in Canada. The original horn is marked with L, so just the H horn was missing.

To install, just remove top cover to provide more room (10mm bolts). Point horns diagonally rather than front out to avoid grille baffle and maximize sound output.

When I bought my 2019 explorer sport, it had only one horn installed but has a bracket to support two. I bought my own part and installed. Very easy. Ford part # is GB5Z13832-A. It's the same part # for 2018 & 2019 years. $50 in Canada. The original horn is marked with L, so just the H horn was missing.

To install, just remove top cover to provide more room (10mm bolts). Point horns diagonally rather than front out to avoid grille baffle and maximize sound output.
I ended up getting the expensive version as well and also did that same route up top. I applaud the folks who yanked the fascia just for horns. I wish I found another Explorer to compare the notes to see if it was worth paying the extra money for something marked made in China.

My horn on a 2019 Sport was weak from the beginning, now it sounds even weaker. Is there a better horn and what's required to change it?

Odds are you only have a single horn installed. One way for Ford to cut cost while charging more.

Take a look down from the hood latch and see if there is just a single one or a dual. If just a single one you can purchase the dual horns and install them.

My 2019 Limited has the most Pathetic sounding Single horn ever! The bracket has a spot for Duel Horns, but only a chinsey single horn installed!

It sounds meager at best, my sons bicycle horn sounds stronger on a bad day!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My horn on a 2019 Sport was weak from the beginning, now it sounds even weaker. Is there a better horn and what's required to change it?
Had same prob on Wife's 19 Edge.
Got a dual horn setup from Harbor Freight for $10. Little difficult to wire up, but done less than hour

Back