• Register Today It's free!

2019 xlt crank, but no start

Miskitobyte15

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 ford explorer xlt
Got towed to the dealer and it started when they were taking off the tow truck. Dealer has no clue. No codes. Has fuel. Don't have a way to check for spark. Has anyone solves this problem yet!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have a 20i8 or 2019? The thread title and your profile don't match!
I'm guessing the no start occurred at home. Was the vehicle parked on level ground? It may seem like a silly question but. there have been issues with some 6th gens parked on a slope. I don't recall any like issus with the 5th gen. How much fuel was in the tank?

Peter

Do you have a 20i8 or 2019? The thread title and your profile don't match!
I'm guessing the no start occurred at home. Was the vehicle parked on level ground? It may seem like a silly question but. there have been issues with some 6th gens parked on a slope. I don't recall any like issus with the 5th gen. How much fuel was in the tank?
The car in question is my sister's 19. My wife has the 18. We put 5 gallons of gas in and it fired right up. And it was on level ground at a petco.

One of the first steps as a technician working on a vehicle is to duplicate the concern, if they can't duplicate the concern and it didn't set any codes it's very hard to do anything unless there is a service message or a service bulletin on the concern and that doesn't always help either.

One of the first steps as a technician working on a vehicle is to duplicate the concern, if they can't duplicate the concern and it didn't set any codes it's very hard to do anything unless there is a service message or a service bulletin on the concern and that doesn't always help either.
We figured how to get it started. But finding out why it happened is a whole different matter. Tank is 18.6 gallons. Gauge said it had 1/4 tank. We put in 5 gallons and it fired right up. Went right to the gas station and put 8 more in to top it off.

Got towed to the dealer and it started when they were taking off the tow truck. Dealer has no clue. No codes. Has fuel. Don't have a way to check for spark. Has anyone solves this problem yet!
Same problem! Any idea?

The fuel tank seems to be a dual saddle bag, with what looks like syphon runners molded inside to keep fuel level in both tanks
The runners seem to be higher than side tanks. I can see how low fuel level and parked off camber leaning to the right would cause the fuel pickup , in the left tank, to run dry.

The fuel tank seems to be a dual saddle bag, with what looks like syphon runners molded inside to keep fuel level in both tanks
The runners seem to be higher than side tanks. I can see how low fuel level and parked off camber leaning to the right would cause the fuel pickup , in the left tank, to run dry.
I don't know about the dual tank part. I thought there was a single tank on the driver's side close to the 2nd row seats. There have been issues with vehicles park on a slope when the tank is about 1/3 or so full.

Peter

@peterk9 here's a view for you

Yes. I realized it was a dual tank after I posted and thought I had deleted my post. I guess I had not because I received a phone call at the same time and was busy with that. I was going to post this diagram. The info I posted was for the 6th gen.
1660158982082.png

Peter

Do Explorers have an inertia switch? If so maybe it's going bad. My Cobra does but that's old tech, I have my kill switch wired into it.

Do Explorers have an inertia switch? If so maybe it's going bad. My Cobra does but that's old tech, I have my kill switch wired into it.
It took some looking but finally found this in one of the manuals.

The fuel pump shutoff stops the flow of
fuel to the engine in the event of a
moderate to severe crash. Not every
impact causes a shutoff.
Should your vehicle shut off after a crash,
you may restart your vehicle.

Peter

Current situation: Same thing happened to me this past weekend. 2019 XLT. Only 17,000 on the vehicle. Drove it to my friends house. Parked in the drive way. No issues with the car previously. A little above a quarter tank. 123 miles until empty. Few hours later, went to leave, car would crank, had power, but wouldn't turn over. After several attempts. It stopped cranking and just clicked, like it was the battery, but still had power. No weird warning lights at all. Attempted to jump it, but it just went back to cranking without start. Had it towed to the dealer and they said it was a dead battery. They sword they tested the battery and it was dead. They put in a new battery and still....all crank, no start. No codes. It's still there. They have no clue at this point. Any new ideas?

Current situation: Same thing happened to me this past weekend. 2019 XLT. Only 17,000 on the vehicle. Drove it to my friends house. Parked in the drive way. No issues with the car previously. A little above a quarter tank. 123 miles until empty. Few hours later, went to leave, car would crank, had power, but wouldn't turn over. After several attempts. It stopped cranking and just clicked, like it was the battery, but still had power. No weird warning lights at all. Attempted to jump it, but it just went back to cranking without start. Had it towed to the dealer and they said it was a dead battery. They sword they tested the battery and it was dead. They put in a new battery and still....all crank, no start. No codes. It's still there. They have no clue at this point. Any new ideas?
Try adding fuel?

Welcome to the Forum Elsie. :wave:

Peter

What was the fix?

What was the fix?
Welcome to the Forum Jeff. :wave:
I doubt that you will get an answer from the member you quoted. There has been no response to a previous post and that was the member's only post. It's frustrating when they don't follow up. I call them "hit & run" posters I do know that sometimes if the fuel level is low and the vehicle is parked on an incline, it may not start. I believe one member was parked nose down and it would not start. Once it was on level ground it started.

Peter

Hi there. I'm having the same issue with my 19 explorer xlt, had battery replaced, no codes, no check engine, sometimes starts most times doesn't. Left me stranded on a road trip from TX to MD and magically started working again. I have a half tank right now and it started this morning but won't a start now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there. I'm having the same issue with my 19 explorer xlt, had battery replaced, no codes, no check engine, sometimes starts most times doesn't. Left me stranded on a road trip from TX to MD and magically started working again. I have a half tank right now and it started this morning but won't a start now.
do you hear a 'click' or 'clicking' when you try to start the vehicle? It could be a bad starter or starter soleniod.

Peter

Back