2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Issues - 4WD Fault, Pre Collision Assist Not Available, Service Advance Trac

I've been reading on here and ST forum that many had to have AWD module replaced.
That’s what I was told, and it cost me over $1,500

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s what I was told, and it cost me over $1,500
I have powertrain warranty left and FordProtect ESP for almost 4 more years so I should be covered. Others have had this covered under powertrain. At worst, it should be $100 deductible for me or free under powertrain. Did you have any warranty on it?

I have powertrain warranty left and FordProtect ESP for almost 4 more years so I should be covered. Others have had this covered under powertrain. At worst, it should be $100 deductible for me or free under powertrain. Did you have any warranty on it?
I was out of basic warranty, but still under powertrain warranty. Service writer told me it was not covered because it was the electronic module and not a mechanical part. I would love to see confirmation on someone’s paperwork from a dealership that the module was covered under the powertrain warranty.

Are you willing to give the name of the dealership that helped you? I am having the same issue and Syracuse is about an hour from me.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not sure if the member you quoted is still around. He was last seen here on January 31, 2022.

Peter

I let it sit over night and drove about 15 miles over 2 trips and no 4wd fault message or any other warnings for drive mode or auto-hold. I still have an appointment for tomorrow.

I took my ST in for repairs on Wednesday and got it back today. They had to replace the half-shaft speed sensor. Hope this permanently fixes the problem. It was under powertrain warranty so there was no charge or deductible on my ESP.

So for the 5th time my 2020 ST has lit up like a Christmas tree when getting off of the highway. Warning lights come all at once: 4WD Fault Service Required, Service AdvanceTrac, Pre-Collision Assist Not Available, +Hill assist not available + Auto Hold Fault.

Warning lights immediately disappear when the car is restarted, and the car is not thrown into a limp mode when these issues come on.

I did some searching and the only experience I could find of something similar was on reddit and the car ended up getting lemoned without any specific root cause explained.

Going to call the dealer on Monday, but please reach out if you have had a similar experience or know someone that has!
My 2020 Limited had this issue.
First in the shop, the All Wheel Drive module was reprogrammed. 24 hour after picking up the vehicle the faults returned, the next trip to the dealership (6/07/23); Module Assembly 7453D1 (I think this the part #) was replaced. Since then the faults have not returned.

So for the 5th time my 2020 ST has lit up like a Christmas tree when getting off of the highway. Warning lights come all at once: 4WD Fault Service Required, Service AdvanceTrac, Pre-Collision Assist Not Available, +Hill assist not available + Auto Hold Fault.

Warning lights immediately disappear when the car is restarted, and the car is not thrown into a limp mode when these issues come on.

I did some searching and the only experience I could find of something similar was on reddit and the car ended up getting lemoned without any specific root cause explained.

Going to call the dealer on Monday, but please reach out if you have had a similar experience or know someone that has!
Interested in knowing what happened here. Mine did this over the weekend and I'm waiting for the dealer to open

Interested in knowing what happened here. Mine did this over the weekend and I'm waiting for the dealer to open
Me too, and also interest in hearing about your experience as it unfolds

Me too, and also interest in hearing about your experience as it unfolds
At the dealer now. Will keep you posted. I'd be interested to here what happens with yours also

At the dealer now. Will keep you posted. I'd be interested to here what happens with yours also
I posted my follow up on June 23, including my invoice for $1,500

I had the same issue. Mine is going into the shop for the 5th time since October. Transmission has been replaced and this car has 23,x.. miles! none of the 8 Ford dealerships can get me in for a month. IMO that alone should speak for the issues Ford has. This is my first Ford in 23 years. I will never purchase another. This has been a nightmare. I have an attorney at this point.
I had the exact same thing happen. I researched it before taking it back to the service department and told them the issue per my research. That was the fix. Sensor. This model has had so many issues and caused so many headaches, stress, you name it for a lot of people. This model has had 13 recalls and a bulletin. Ford should take responsibility and be held accountable
FYI, the first member that you quoted was last seen here Jan. 31, 2020 and the other on Nov. 3, 2021. So you are not likely to hear from them.
Sometimes a bad wheel speed sensor has been known to cause a few of those issues.

Peter

Mine was halfshaft speed sensor replaced under powertrain warranty.

I have this same issue with my 2020 ST. Told me the half-shaft speed sensor was bad as well as the AWD module. Neither covered under the powertrain warranty they said. My ESP covers the speed sensor but not the module. I purchased the ESP specifically because they told me it covered bumper to bumper electronics! I'm going to be giving Ford a call because this is happening to a lot of people! I've seen it here and over at the ST forums.

I have this same issue with my 2020 ST. Told me the half-shaft speed sensor was bad as well as the AWD module. Neither covered under the powertrain warranty they said. My ESP covers the speed sensor but not the module. I purchased the ESP specifically because they told me it covered bumper to bumper electronics! I'm going to be giving Ford a call because this is happening to a lot of people! I've seen it here and over at the ST forums.
That is such B.S. I have a great dealer: Sheehy Ford in Maryland. I have not used my ESP once in a year and have had both CV boots and axles replaced as well as speed sensor under powertrain warranty. No deductible. I drive an extra 15 miles for this dealership to avoid the sleazy ones!

Which ESP do you have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back