2020 Explorer Starting Problems | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Starting Problems

I am just shocked that they somehow managed to carry over this problem in to 2021 production line.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Everybody. I am Metromike from Orlando. I bought my new ST a few months ago when they first arrived in Central Florida. It's a very good car but it definitely has first-year issues with the computer system. The week after I bought it I was out for dinner one night and the car wouldn't start. I called AAA and they finally showed up the car turned over immediately. I took it in the next day in my dealership made me aware of the keyholder in the center console. I didn't have any problem until this week when the exact same thing happened again. The keyholder in the center console had no effect. That's when I learned that ST owners in other places are experiencing the same problem. There is a YouTube video titled "2020 Ford Explorer ST starting problem" that will give you a first-hand look at what's going on. This time when I took it to the dealership after it finally decided to start they said they were aware of the problem. They've had it for two days and haven't solved it yet. I was disappointed that Ford or the dealership had not contacted me before they left me stranded twice!
Hi Metromike. We are having the same intermittent issues. We're you able to find resolve? Has Ford responded? Any assistance in direction would be helpful. Thanks.
Ceri

Welcome to the Forum Ceri. :wave:
FYI, Metromike was last seen here on Oct. 31st. Hopefully he is still following the thread and can provide an update.

Peter

I have a new Explorer Limited which randomly will not start. This is the same problem posted in this forum under "2020 ST Starting Problem". Since this thread was never resolved, I thought I should ask the question again. My vehicle now has 4,000 miles.
I have the same problem as described, where randomly it will not start. I press the brake and push the start button and the lights flash but nothing related to starting happens. On my first dealer service call they thought the engine control software was causing the problem, so the reinstalled the latest engine control software. This did not solve the problem as a few weeks later the engine would not start again. The only thing that seems consistent with this problem is that the engine will start after being left alone for about an hour. (Time it takes for a tow truck to arrive). On my second dealer service call they told me there was nothing additional they could do to resolve the problem. They checked for service bulletins on the problem and found nothing. They suggested I call Ford Customer Service.
Ford Customer Service told me there was nothing they could do until the problem was identified and repaired. Meaning I would have to leave the vehicle at the dealer for at least a month and then they probably would not identify the problem. However, Ford Customer Service is leaving the case open for further review.

Does anyone know of the source of this starting problem? Is there a Service Bulletin on this subject? Repair suggestion? I just can not have an unreliable vehicle and need to find a solution. Based on the YouTube videos' it appears to be a fairly common problem, surely someone out there has fixed the problem.
Thank you,
Do you have any update on the issue?

Peter

Do you have any update on the issue?

Peter
Hi Peretk9, we have been having the same issue without resolve. Today we disconnected the battery for a few seconds and it rebooted. We opened a claim with ford in hopes of finding some resolve. Unfortunately, it seems as it will need a long term stay at the shop for them to reproduce the error. The dealer however is ordering a PIN, or something of the sort to install and record the occurrence when it happens. This may be a more reasonable option rather than being without the vehicle for a prolonged period. Not sure if PIN was the proper name for the device. Maybe ask your dealer if they have something like that that could record when it happens next?
Ceri

I would think that if disconnecting/reconnecting the battery cable seems to solve the issue, that it might be software related.

Peter

I would think that if disconnecting/reconnecting the battery cable seems to solve the issue, that it might be software related.

Peter
Not sure, but will eventually find out.

@CeriT

In my experience - the battery disconnect can be a double edge sword.

The positive is that in some cases it will reset the computer and thus get the faulty component to work properly again.

The negative is that when the computer re-sets, you lose the fault code (if there was one recorded).

Anyways - Post #38 & 40 seem to offer what to expect and what path you might have to take.

I’m having the same issue with a 2021 ST with 1200km. Interesting, car had 1/5 of a tank and was on an incline in my driveway. It started, on with the sales rep going over features and it turned off while in the driveway. Would crank, but not start. Same exact issue as the video. Towed to the dealer, waiting to see what they say. Are these fuel pump and shift module official fixes available to Ford’s technicians?

I’m having the same issue with a 2021 ST with 1200km. Interesting, car had 1/5 of a tank and was on an incline in my driveway. It started, on with the sales rep going over features and it turned off while in the driveway. Would crank, but not start. Same exact issue as the video. Towed to the dealer, waiting to see what they say. Are these fuel pump and shift module official fixes available to Ford’s technicians?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The sales rep was at your place?
If you had been able to get the vehicle to level ground, chances are it would have started.

Peter

The sales rep was at your place?
If you had been able to get the vehicle to level ground, chances are it would have started.

Peter
On the phone over the weekend (covid). Towed to the dealer, turned over no problem today.... I look like the idiot, but it had 1/6 of a tank - 114 km left. Nose down tho...

Basically fill it up, don’t park nose down.

Next time it happens, call emergency road service and have it flat-bedded to the dealers. Leave it. Do it every time. I had to do it with a BMW with a steering software issue and they gave me a newer, better optioned one in exchange, which I promptly sold. Get a lawyer to write a letter, it’s cheap.

Next time it happens, call emergency road service and have it flat-bedded to the dealers. Leave it. Do it every time. I had to do it with a BMW with a steering software issue and they gave me a newer, better optioned one in exchange, which I promptly sold. Get a lawyer to write a letter, it’s cheap.
No need to go through that exercise now that the reason has been identified.

Peter

Every time it won’t start, have it towed in.

Every time it won’t start, have it towed in.
I believe you've said that already.
It makes no sense since there is no 'fix' for it. When the fuel level is that low and you park nose down, the pump will not pick up the fuel. That is just the way this Explorer is and no amount of taking it to the dealer will resolve it. This isn't a software issue it is the design that is the problem. It could happen to any vehicle under the right conditions, even yours.

Peter

Hi Everybody. I am Metromike from Orlando. I bought my new ST a few months ago when they first arrived in Central Florida. It's a very good car but it definitely has first-year issues with the computer system. The week after I bought it I was out for dinner one night and the car wouldn't start. I called AAA and they finally showed up the car turned over immediately. I took it in the next day in my dealership made me aware of the keyholder in the center console. I didn't have any problem until this week when the exact same thing happened again. The keyholder in the center console had no effect. That's when I learned that ST owners in other places are experiencing the same problem. There is a YouTube video titled "2020 Ford Explorer ST starting problem" that will give you a first-hand look at what's going on. This time when I took it to the dealership after it finally decided to start they said they were aware of the problem. They've had it for two days and haven't solved it yet. I was disappointed that Ford or the dealership had not contacted me before they left me stranded twice!
you are not the only person.... my explorer has been doing this for 5 months. my suv has been at the Ford dealership for over a week and they still haven't done anything with it. No Rental offered,,,, here I sit making payments on car i cannot drive that is 5 months old

you are not the only person.... my explorer has been doing this for 5 months. my suv has been at the Ford dealership for over a week and they still haven't done anything with it. No Rental offered,,,, here I sit making payments on car i cannot drive that is 5 months old

Peter

Alright, I looked at the video. It appears in the videos which I watched that the starter button is blinking. If this is the case it would appear to not be picking up the key fob. Have you tried to replace the battery in the key fob? I would start there and then proceed up sometimes if the battery is weak or they used not so good key fob batteries then it will not read the key when you are in the vehicle. iirc you said it started once with the key fob in the center console place holder.

If it cranks and cranks as in the previous issue then it can only be one of three things; fuel, spark, or air. I would go with fuel as the person stated before a fuel pump corrected.

I'm guessing that once when it fails to start, it reverts to accessory mode and that is when the Start/Stop button begins blinking. The Start/Stop button on my Aviator does the same thing when in accessory mode and with the keyfob in hand.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that once when it fails to start, it reverts to accessory mode and that is when the Start/Stop button begins blinking. The Start/Stop button on my Aviator does the same thing when in accessory mode and with the keyfob in hand.

Peter

Right but the other poster said he placed the key fob in the secret bypass location in the center console. This could indicate a low or dead battery in the fob itself.

Back