2021 Explorer Automatic Full-time AWD | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer Automatic Full-time AWD

The sensors that “feed” the gauge are probably the wheel speed sensors, and the gauge shows the intended output split.

Its possible the front axle torque is cut when the wheels are turned to lock to avoid winding it up.

Very few current model cars fall under what I consider to be true AWD. The benefits of automatic 4wd systems outweigh a not very flexible AWD system. This is why you don’t really see them on many cars.
Another option is since the computer is telling the transmission where to send power, it is simply also telling the display where the power is going to. Of course the display could simply be an idiot light and just move things around to look pretty. Wouldn't be the first time a "gauge" was wired as an idiot light.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another option is since the computer is telling the transmission where to send power, it is simply also telling the display where the power is going to. Of course the display could simply be an idiot light and just move things around to look pretty. Wouldn't be the first time a "gauge" was wired as an idiot light.

All makers kind of have this now on AWD vehicles, If it is like Ford trucks then it is just a display that shows axles spinning and anytime slip occurs it will oscillate power to those areas.

Accelerating in a normal manner, on dry pavement, from a full stop will still show all four wheels pulling power until the vehicle is in a state of cruise.
At cruise the display will show only the rear wheels pulling power. Nothing to do with wheel sensors at all during normal operation.

I’m pretty sure the PTU has a viscous clutch in it. If that’s the case for the most part it’s a static clutch in that it will transfer a percentage of torque to the front wheels. Age and heat will greatly effect there ability to move that torque. The display would be a gimmick on such a device. The second more expensive option would be a electric clutch assembly that could actually very the torque but even then the display would be inferred since no sensors would be in the PTU that would actually measure actual torque. These are the only two systems that I know about in production vehicles at this price range.

I highly, highly doubt it’s a viscous coupling. That’d make all the driving modes a sham.

It is standard torque vectoring which provides little traction under low speeds but once moving it is a great system. It should have 4H which would lock up the front and rear then you could do some serious driving in ultra low traction situations. Like some one mentioned in this though with 4H you will tend to send the rear towards the ditch if you are not careful with it. It likes to twist a little bit.

You are going to base your AWD knowledge from a graphic on the dash, that’s funny. Please tell me what sensors are in the drivetrain that feed that graphic. If you are in normal mode stationary crank the wheel and mash the gas it will do RWD donuts for days. We have 6 inches of snow today and I was having fun. It will not lock the front axle if you do that, straighten the wheel and limit wheel spin and you will feel when the axle locks in. If Ford would just publish info on the system we would all better understand.
This is what I was hoping for. I want to be able to have some fun with this thing in the winter.

In my Chevy Cruze, I can press the Traction Control button once to disable just Traction Control, or press and hold to disable TC and Stability Control. Does the Explorer have a similar function?

You are going to base your AWD knowledge from a graphic on the dash, that’s funny. Please tell me what sensors are in the drivetrain that feed that graphic. If you are in normal mode stationary crank the wheel and mash the gas it will do RWD donuts for days. We have 6 inches of snow today and I was having fun. It will not lock the front axle if you do that, straighten the wheel and limit wheel spin and you will feel when the axle locks in. If Ford would just publish info on the system we would all better understand.

I just tested this at work.

Parking lot was slush in my spot, i always back in. Put it in reverse and it creeped a bit then stopped, so i applied throttle, the rear was fishtailing.

This was in normal mode. I'm sure in "snow" mode it would have divided the power evenly or properly to the proper wheel but in normal mode, it is definitely RWD biased.

This is what I was hoping for. I want to be able to have some fun with this thing in the winter.

In my Chevy Cruze, I can press the Traction Control button once to disable just Traction Control, or press and hold to disable TC and Stability Control. Does the Explorer have a similar function?

By pressing the button you can disable traction on EXP and by holding that button for a few seconds will disable "advanced traction". Not sure if that's the same.

I just tested this at work.

Parking lot was slush in my spot, i always back in. Put it in reverse and it creeped a bit then stopped, so i applied throttle, the rear was fishtailing.

This was in normal mode. I'm sure in "snow" mode it would have divided the power evenly or properly to the proper wheel but in normal mode, it is definitely RWD biased.

It is Not RWD in Normal mode. Open the gauge display to display the 4wd system and then accelerate from a stop. You will notice that the vehicle sends power to all 4 wheels until the vehicle reaches a steady cruise speed or atleast until you get moving sufficient enough.

I believe he may have meant that in Normal mode, the drivetrain system is rear-wheel drive biased just as the 5th gen was front-wheel biased. Both systems will show power to all wheels from a stationary position start.

Peter

I believe he may have meant that in Normal mode, the drivetrain system is rear-wheel drive biased just as the 5th gen was front-wheel biased. Both systems will show power to all wheels from a stationary position start.

Peter

Right. I said RWD BIASED in normal mode. The rear end was definitely fishtailing when reversing. And i know this because this happens to me all the time in other RWD dailys i had in the past during winter.

It is Not RWD in Normal mode. Open the gauge display to display the 4wd system and then accelerate from a stop. You will notice that the vehicle sends power to all 4 wheels until the vehicle reaches a steady cruise speed or atleast until you get moving sufficient enough.
That graphic is a lie. My experience is my explorer is RWD 100% in normal mode. One rear tire on ice and it will not move at all. Give it a few seconds and the front axle locks in and you are on your way, sometimes quite violent. Again no sensors to feed that graphic. If you look at the PTU it has one plug going to a motor. I’m 95% positive that motor engages the front axle. If that’s what it is you have a vehicle with open diffs front and back with a viscous coupler in the PTU with with front axle disconnect. Your driving modes would alter front axle disconnect, traction control, torque vectoring (using brakes to move torque around)

That graphic is a lie. My experience is my explorer is RWD 100% in normal mode. One rear tire on ice and it will not move at all. Give it a few seconds and the front axle locks in and you are on your way, sometimes quite violent. Again no sensors to feed that graphic. If you look at the PTU it has one plug going to a motor. I’m 95% positive that motor engages the front axle. If that’s what it is you have a vehicle with open diffs front and back with a viscous coupler in the PTU with with front axle disconnect. Your driving modes would alter front axle disconnect, traction control, torque vectoring (using brakes to move torque around)

While driving our ST in normal mode, making a left hand turn into traffic, I gave it a ton of throttle and chriped the front tires on dry pavement.

I haven't actually checked this on my Aviator or even looked for the display but if it is anything similar to the FWD biased 5th gen, I would expect to see power distributed to all 4 wheels from a dead stop.
Here is what my Manual says;
The intelligent AWD system continuously
monitors vehicle conditions and adjusts the
power distribution between the front and
rear wheels. It combines transparent
all-surface operation with highly capable
all-wheel drive.

BTW, the Explorer manual says the same with the exception being it uses the term 4WD where the Aviator states AWD.

Peter

While driving our ST in normal mode, making a left hand turn into traffic, I gave it a ton of throttle and chriped the front tires on dry pavement.
It’s possible the ST has different parameters then the 2.3. I would agree the ST was a beast and I never had wheel spin in normal or sport mode. A few times with the 2.3 I have had noise from the rear tires. Could be as simple as keeping the front axle engaged till 40mph on the ST where my 2.3 seems to prefer RWD till slip is detected or driving modes change.

You’re simply wrong. Maybe YOUR Explorer is broken.

They have, the following video link from Ford describes how the Intelligent AWD/4WD works:

All I know is that it does work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please enlighten me.
You are the one trying to say they are lying about how the system works, and that it’s a farce. YOU enlighten us.

Back