2022 Colorado Color Run | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Colorado Color Run

Which week would you prefer for the Colorado Color run?

• Sep 4-10

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Aug 14-20

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Other (please note preference below if voting other)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Biggest obstacle to getting things done on LilEddie is getting stuff done with the house. I put in a new driveway and shed/shop and I still need to wire the shed, and put up a metal carport. LoL Always something. LilEddie needs a new alternator, a new rear hatch, and front end work. Then if I have time I'd like to install a Mustang GT scoop and paint the scoop and hood to match. Always something

It seems very unlikely I’ll be able to make this trip myself. Atleast the odds are stacked way against me. Still need to regear, t case swap, and get sliders done but before any of that my trans seems like it might be letting go. Unless some miracle happens it doesn’t seem promising

Well, I may be bringing my In-Laws camper instead of ours. Its about 1,000lbs lighter and with gas prices the way they are every little bit helps!

Well, I may be bringing my In-Laws camper instead of ours. Its about 1,000lbs lighter and with gas prices the way they are every little bit helps!
youre lucky you dont have CA prices... at this rate, cant even bring a traielr to thaven!!! cant throw a RTT on, gotta start eating less 🤣 every pound help... luckily, im 130 and 5'6 about, but cant help but wonder🤣 gotta run AS tires to thaven🤣

The Ouray KOA changed hands again. This time it was KOA Corporate who bought them out. They have a corporate manager running it now.

If anybody knows why it was sold, or hears why, please share it.

The previous owners just spent a ton of $$ into it, and upgraded much of the back section to bring in Power / Water / Waste, and more over the last couple of years. Did the economy decide the sale, Personal reasons, or something else? Just curious.

Any chance that'll have any bearing on prices, reservations, etc.?

Went private to corporate, so it could go either way, depending on the previous pricing. I think we're safe from site pricing.

They have to honor the reservations and pricing given when made, but other amenities in the park can change.

All I can think of why it was bought by KOA Corp was the high costs of inflation impacting operations.

Of course it could be something else, like a family tragedy, or city permits, etc...

Low level reviews on tripadvisor tell the tale.

Apparently, from regular visitors opinions, they added camp spaces without adding land. Took away features to make more spots, and even the office driveway has shrunk. Also a comment on allowing the grass to dry causing lots of dust

Anymore, I often wonder how many of those reviews were done by overly selfish "Karen" type people who expect absolute perfection and unreasonable amenities, even when "camping". I don't know, last time I was there I thought it was a great place.

Anymore, I often wonder how many of those reviews were done by overly selfish "Karen" type people who expect absolute perfection and unreasonable amenities, even when "camping". I don't know, last time I was there I thought it was a great place.
Best koa ever, unless they have indeed split the sites. Some reviews state a reservation fee is required for a specific site, and, one car per site not allowing room for a trailered rig. From my previous experience it makes me wonder if everything has tightened up.

The previous owners did a bunch of upgrades to the entire place after they bought it. When we was there in the fall of 2020, it was great.

They had all kinds of sites, with back in, pull thru trailer sites, tent sites, and added dozens of cabins from small to large. All of them was good sized. They do have overflow parking for guest vehicles, placed close by each section of the park.

They added a nice big deck with outdoor dining, and live music. We really enjoyed that.

I hope those amenities are still there, as it added a level of comfort, and fun to staying there.

They do charge to reserve a specific site you want, but I'm cool with that as it helped us stay close together as a group.

2021 had a low precipitation in the area, and I can see it being dusty because of that. Its a huge place, and watering it would be a massive expense, which would only drive pricing higher. Weather is a roll of the dice. Wet, dry, warm, cold, etc... I bring a hose, and have a site with water, so can easily rinse stuff off.

My fear is corporate changes everything and makes it less attractive by removing all the private personal things, that made this campground so enjoyable. Koa can learn a thing or two from the previous owners IMHO.

That is great news. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Due to the current economy and no relief insight, plus its only going to be worse by middle of August, the costs of this trip will be too much to bear, for people traveling long distances. Some might want to spend their money on other things, like mod parts, and wheel local instead. We might think of putting this meet on hold, cancel it, or push it back until things improve.

For us it would cost around $1200 in fuel there and back, each rig, and another 400 to 500 in fuel while there. Today's fuel prices in Ouray is $6.25/gal for low grade, and almost $7/gal for high.

Something to think about. I am.

Today's fuel prices in Ouray is $6.25/gal for low grade, and almost $7/gal for high.

Silverton 4.69. Ouray 4.93. Ridgway 4.94 all as of within the last 24hrs. Not sure where you are getting the 6.25 figure? But I get it, fuel prices have kept me from going to a lot of places I would have normally gone especially towing with the diesel truck. Just a day trip with the rock crawler is $125+ in tow rig fuel alone so Ive parked it for now. Coming from the Midwest is definitely a big expense for this trip!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those prices was posted on the San Juan mountain page on facecrook yesterday.

My figures was based on the national average, not those prices posted.

There is just no way to sugarcoat the obvious economic issues, and I hated to be the one to bring it up. I love these trips with a passion, and it breaks my heart when someone, or something prevents it from happening.

Back