2024 ST: I think I'm gonna go for it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2024 ST: I think I'm gonna go for it

irvingpop

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Our 2020 ST has been great, and largely trouble free. We've had some great adventures. But the first big-ticket items are coming up (tires & brakes - not cheap on the ST street pack!), and we're starting to think... why wait for the 2025?

Sure, SYNC 3 isn't the best but it's a known quantity at this point. We exclusively use CarPlay, it's been Good Enough with that. The new Google interface looks slick, but you know is going to come with lots of new bugs that will take a while to iron out. I have to reboot my Sony Google TV weekly because of bugs and sluggishness, so my expectations are low!

In terms of design... we saw the pictures posted to this forum and we kinda like the pre-facelift look better. Otherwise, it's the same engine, chassis, and suspension, right?

On the reliability front, not sure if it's a toss-up or not. Conventional wisdom says that the 2024 should be rock solid, being the last run of the current gen. The 2025 is bound to have some new parts and manufacturing processes, I'm not sure I'd want an early run model (again).

What do y'all think? What am I missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would look for the latest build '24 you can find. That's what I did with our '20 ST and I couldn't be happier with it's reliability. Ours was built in September of '20. It may be too early to have all the bugs worked out from changes to the '24 model year.:dunno:

I would look for the latest build '24 you can find. That's what I did with our '20 ST and I couldn't be happier with it's reliability. Ours was built in September of '20. It may be too early to have all the bugs worked out from changes to the '24 model year.:dunno:
That's definitely what I'm trying to do! I'm currently looking at a Forged Green Metallic that's in transit from port to dealer.

You think there's any changes worth speaking of in MY24? The production run is only a few months long I thought.

That's definitely what I'm trying to do! I'm currently looking at a Forged Green Metallic that's in transit from port to dealer.

You think there's any changes worth speaking of in MY24? The production run is only a few months long I thought.

No big changes, but who knows what "tweaks" they may have made to software.

I would get the new tires and wait another year. The interior changes are, to me, worth waiting for. I use carplay exclusively too and cannot wait to get the larger screen and wireless carplay! The interior materials are much nicer. I could not see myself getting a new car that really is the same thing that I currently drive, albeit with a lot of the problems (but also features) removed.

Make sure you are happy even with some features removed. Also make sure you get 4-bolt rear differential.

I just picked a leftover 23 to replace my 21. The chip shortage has forced the deletion of some items, like the small temp display on the front hvac control panel, it's now on the very top of the sync display, the hands free liftgate is gone, it's still power but now you have to push the button instead of just waving your foot under the back bumper. The power fold of the second row is now manual with a lever, and the 360 degree camera is gone along with the reverse brake assist, the upside is now the rear camera display is now larger, it actually stretches from side to side, whereas with the 360 also the the camera only goes about 65% across. Of course there is also the decontenting that ford has done over the years, like the console and glove box lighting, the windshield de-icer, the 4 bolt rear cradle, the mini console between the second row captains chairs, etc. Also the park assist is gone, you have to parallel park all by yourself now.

I'm kinda with you. If I were to get a new explorer now, I'd go for the '24. I'm not a fan of the monster grill on the '25. I'd also rather have the buttons and knobs for the HVAC controls. My '20 xlt had been good to me...so for now, I'm just waiting.

Back