Anyone Cross Shop Durango SRT vs ST? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Cross Shop Durango SRT vs ST?

I have been a Ford guy for over 50 years, so it bothers me to say this, but I'm not a big fan of the 2011 and later Explorers. I maintain a fleet of 115 Utility (Explorer) Interceptors, from 2013 up to and including 6, 2020 models. When they were first introduced in 2013, we all thought the idea was good, but doubted they would be a durable as the outgoing Crown Victoria Police Interceptors. We were correct, the unibody construction is a little weak in the front suspension (and it usually costs me a grand every time an officer does a pit manuver) the water pump and ptu problems are on going, time consuming and expensive. I receive recall notices from Ford it seems on a monthly basis. Of my 109 '13 -'19 units, 5 of these are the turbo version, and that is a whole different can of worms. Water pumps, ptu's, oil consumption and injector problems as well. I realize Ford has 80% of the law enforcement business, but I believe it is solely based on price (a comparably equipped Durango is about 4K more and a Tahoe is 9K more).
On the positive side, the Utility's are all wheel drive, big plus over a CVPI in my climate. The brakes are bigger and for the most part outlast the CV's. Performance wise, the 3.7 equipped versions will outrun a CV, it's close. Fuel economy, cop cars don't get any, regardless of what the vehicle is, but if you do an average, the CV has a slight edge.
Now that brings me to the 2020 version. We like it because it is slightly bigger, a big plus when you start installing shields, dog kennels and emergency equipment. The seats are slightly wider and a little more headroom and appearance wise, much better looking than the past. When the new platform was announced, I was excited to see the return to rear wheel drive and the engine no longer transversely mounted. So far, the big complaint is the 10 speed trans is for ever shifting and the engine (3.3 non turbo) is a dog unless you are in the throttle most of the time. In my opinion a 5.0 would easily fit, mileage would be comparable because it wouldn't work nearly as hard and it would last much longer than any of the new gen 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

The trans is forever shifting, haha. Everyone is acting like they're manually shifting or something. Who cares.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I traded my 2017 Charger Scat Pack for a 2020 ST. Was looking at the Durango SRT but was out of my price range. If they were closer in price I would have gotten the Durango SRT. In my 2.5 years with the charger, the ST has more issues and it's only been 2 days.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I traded my 2017 Charger Scat Pack for a 2020 ST. Was looking at the Durango SRT but was out of my price range. If they were closer in price I would have gotten the Durango SRT. In my 2.5 years with the charger, the ST has more issues and it's only been 2 days.

Brand new platform vs aging old platform. Dodge has seen significant increases in reliability over the past year or two but it's mainly because the bugs have been worked out of the aging platform.

I believe it will take a year or two for the 6rh gen to get everything worked out. As they say, never buy the 1st year model yet here many of us are lol.

Brand new platform vs aging old platform. Dodge has seen significant increases in reliability over the past year or two but it's mainly because the bugs have been worked out of the aging platform.

I believe it will take a year or two for the 6rh gen to get everything worked out. As they say, never buy the 1st year model yet here many of us are lol.

Yep definitely agree!

Back