2nd gen vs 3rd gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen vs 3rd gen

This crash happened last winter, I was one of the firefighters on scene, all the passengers recovered from there injuries, speeds of both explorers were about 50-60mph, 2 people in the brown explorer just needed door pops to get them out, the driver of the white explorer was a little more entrapped, had to take the roof and pass side doors to get him out.
100_0330.jpg

0410091653.jpg

3083_1041389802188_1448861223_30121.jpg

0410091658.jpg

100_0331.jpg

brokenbottles034.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats more ouch than oops.

I too am amazed at how well that 2nd gen held up....looksl ike the 3rd gen crumpled while the 2nd gen help the cabin together perfectly....

but yeah....where did that engine go....

From the looks of it, the second gen is a perfect display of well designed crumple zones and safety. not bad.

The engine obviously moved backwards, but it didnt intrude into the pass compartment, it was pretty amazing to see, lets just say its a good thing there wasnt a front seat passenger in the white explorer or they would have had 2 broken legs. Everyone was very lucky

makes me happy i have a 2nd gen that is a daily driver for me and my son

That had to hurt. Glad everyone was ok. Shows just how safe explorers really are. Frames looked a little bent. looked at the pictures several times and never seen the engine to the 2nd gen either. Radiator is still there so it had to of been pushed back and maybe sideways?

That had to hurt. Glad everyone was ok. Shows just how safe explorers really are. Frames looked a little bent. looked at the pictures several times and never seen the engine to the 2nd gen either. Radiator is still there so it had to of been pushed back and maybe sideways?

Second that, both of them had to have been hurting the next day. From the looks of it the 2nd gen looked a lot better at the end, minus the engine doing its best Harry Houdini impression.

The only real downfall of the second gens is the roof frame in a rollover (you can see where the roof bent back) but as far as the structural rigidity of the rest of the vehicle it was top of the line back in the day. Top Notch ^_^

holy crap

wow. Did the 02 roll over? IDK which one is worse.

gees thats a tragic coincidence, so whats the verdict who gets the belt?

gees thats a tragic coincidence, so whats the verdict who gets the belt?

Not a fair comparison, 2nd gen hit head-on, 3rd gen was hit in passenger side front quarter panel.

That's pretty awful...

I've seen a 3rd gen ago against one of those MTA Buses in a head on collision here in Brooklyn, and oh man the 3rd gen had no engine compartment anymore, the bus? Just needed the front bumper repainted.

Back