2wd to 4wd conversion? is it possible | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2wd to 4wd conversion? is it possible

clarkie96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
hola peeps.. ok well i have a 97' explorer XLT.. I want to lift it but i cant because its only 2wd.. so i was wonderin if i can swap parts from a 4wd explorer.. and if so what will i need.. hopin for lots of replies. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need:
Same model transmission but from a 4X4 (different tails)
Transfercase (BW1354 I believe is what you need, MANUAL shift) and making it fit, cutting holes in the floor for the shifter and finding all the related parts for it
Front and rear driveshafts to fit transfercase (replace all u-joints)
Front differential with same gear ratio as your rear axle (check all bearings and seals, replace as necessary)
CV/axles for both sides
Steering knuckles from a 4X4

I think that about covers it

(manual shifting transfercase so you don't need all the wiring and GEM)

you will need

1 the whole front axle and susspension (mainly the knuckles, but get more if you can)

2 the transmission adaptor and output shaft OR a transmission from a 4X4 that's the same as yours

3 a transfercase (depends on you motor, the V6 models use the 4405, the V8 can use the 4404 or 4406 electric or manual shift)

4 the GEM from a 4X4 of the same year and motor

5 driveshafts

6 probably some other misc parts

Honestly if you can get a explorer with a crapped out motor that's 4X4... or maybe been rolled with a good front suspension... that might make this cheaper

I convert mine by moving the lever to 4X4, lol

Is it possible? Yes. Is it worthwhile? Not usually. It's cheaper, and a LOT less complicated and time consuming to sell your 2wd and buy a 4x4.

Back