3 inch lift what size tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3 inch lift what size tires?

My brother has a 91 explorerEB. And he is running 30's now without a lift. He is going to be getting a 3 inch body lift. We think that if we are lifting the body 3 inchs, that we can put on tires that are 3 inchs bigger, which would be 33's. Oh by the way he is also getting some 15X10 in rims. Or maybe 16X10. He is concerned that they will scrub up in the fender well when offroading. Will it do fine with 33's. He also has a 3.73 rear end. Is that low enough. I think it is, I am running 30's with a 3.07 rear gear, maybe 31's next set. It runs fine.

And yes we are taking before and after pictures.

James,
With the 3 inch lift you'll be able to fit 32's with stock rims. You'll rub a little in the fender wells.
With 33's and 15x10 rims you'll need to do quite a bit of fender trimming behind the front wheels, we're talking metal cutting and bending. You might get away with 15x8 rims and have minimal trimming.
With my 5.5 lift with 33's and 15x10 rims I had to trim about 3 inches back on the fenders.
You can do any of these, it just depends how much body work you want to do.
I'm running 33's with 373 gears, I've lost a bunch of power off the line, I have a manual tranny which makes the problem worse, I'm changing my gears very soon.
You'll have no problem running 32's with your 373 gears.

He is getting a 3 inch body lift, not a suspension lift.
Will the 33's fit? With 15X10 inch rims.

James...15x10 rims and 33's. I don't think that would fit. I have a 3" bodylift, 15x8 rims and 32x11.50 on my 92XLT 4 door and I have back rubbing on the front fenderwell. It's not that bad, even off-road.

Yes,I have a 3" B/L running 33x12.50 M/T with 15x8 rims.I did have to bend the back of the fender to make it work.I have 3:73 gears w/5 speed.I lost some power but it drives fine.

Back