3 Month Update and Review. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3 Month Update and Review.

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
I figured I would give an update on my wife's 2014 XLT in Ruby Red. Right now the XLT has 3800 miles on it. My wife really likes it, she gave up her 08 Honda Accord and this is her first SUV. The following things are what she likes about it. Value, it is the best price for size SUV on the market. She likes the gas mileage, she is averaging on highway right at 20-21 and around town 16-17. She does say that she wishes it had more get up and go but also admits she doesn't push the gas pedal hard either. The visibility is really good but the "A" pillar is wide and does require some adjustment on the drivers part to make sure you're not pulling out in front of someone and pedestrian in mall parking lots. The ride is very smooth but the interior noise is a little louder than expected. Steering is very responsive and body roll is pretty minimal considering the size and height.

Now for the negative, hers has the light stone leather interior and with her job she has to wear jeans but for some reason the seat is turning blue. Dealer says it's because her jeans are new and she should wear something else, I'm going disagree. I do question the quality of the seats since none of our past vehicles did this either. The fix is about every 3 to 4 days I must clean the seat with leather cleaner.

9b9d9a2b8491406fab0e3f5600f509aa.jpg

6c19c5c3407949107eb383c36da32e0c.jpg

We did have an issue with the rain seal coming off both back doors. The dealer did fix them but the new parts don't seem to fit correctly. They also don't have the same shine as the factory pieces either.

4b0a925df51adefee895ada49c9df703.jpg

167d2d4e633f748f0dfd1740265e5e55.jpg

38826f9f7bc909609db622af49cb2537.jpg

475a09806a57d0f89f9d4b4a2b75d0ba.jpg

The SYNC control panel was confusing at first, it did take her about a month to get the hang of it. The voice control is something she has given up on using all together.

She does wish the gas tank was larger maybe 5 gallons more. Not sure why it has about the same size tank as a car.

The headlights are bright but the high beams have you seeing tops of trees and having owls mad at you for blinding them. We have taken it to the dealer and was told they are adjusted correctly and we should keep the fog light on to help out. Doesn't make since to me since the relay shuts off the fog lights when the high beams come on. I know the low beams have the horizontal shadow line and she has gotten used to it, however she doesn't like people flashing her when she doesn't have her high beans on. We have given up using the high beams because they are useless. It's seems the are more on vertical axis than the horizontal.

I personally don't like the side view mirrors, I would have put the blind spot mirror on the lower inside instead of the outside top.

I will say a friend of ours has a 2012 XLT and they don't have any of these issues. All in all she is happy with her choice of SUV but wishes a bit more attention detail was given on the areas she is not satisfied with. I don't think we will own this vehicle for the long haul.

v/r
Roger

2014 XLT in "Ruby Red"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem with the rain seals. I keep pushing them down but they keep popping up at the ends. Seems like a pretty poor design.

Check that your bulbs are rotated all the way in their sockets, I had a vertical cut off when I didnt rotate one all the way.
The bulb still felt solid and was rotated 3/4 of the way, I took it all the way out first.
(The pattern should match the pattern shown in your manual under headlights/aiming.)

The door seals are the same for everyone, granted some better & some worse, if anyone has better door seals, especially the 'corner', they have yet to post pics.

I would bet the seals they used were not right out of a package, thats why they dont look new.
Use Lexol's VinylX or other plastic/vinyl conditioner and it will clean, UV protect and maybe bring out some shine in those seals.
It wont cover or reduce scratches on the seal. Follow the directions, it can be used on all plastic, seals, and vinyl, dont get any on any console screen or display, and dont leave it on the paint or glass.
(Dont use products that contain only silicone or raw silicone oil-not good long term)

There are posts here about the leather seats and blue jeans, unfortunately with all the elbow grease you are putting into cleaning, I would consider seat covers, or just a drivers seat cover, there is a huge assortment at any after market site you can shop.

I will look at the head light later week. I would gave figured since I brought it back to the dealer they would have looked for that but I'll check. As far as the seats go I'll keep cleaning them until I rub a hole in them then Ford will have to replace it. I may go to upholstery place and see how much it would cost to have new seat covers put in it. I really don't want to know because we are talking 5 seats. Drivers, passengers, back seat and third row as well. If I would have to bet prob about 2 grand.

We had beige leather seats in our previous car that would get 'pant color runoff' - it just took alot of elbow grease to keep them looking clean.

That is why we insisted on the black leather interior for our Ex.

Check that your bulbs are rotated all the way in their sockets, I had a vertical cut off when I didnt rotate one all the way.
The bulb still felt solid and was rotated 3/4 of the way, I took it all the way out first.
(The pattern should match the pattern shown in your manual under headlights/aiming.)

The door seals are the same for everyone, granted some better & some worse, if anyone has better door seals, especially the 'corner', they have yet to post pics.

I would bet the seals they used were not right out of a package, thats why they dont look new.
Use Lexol's VinylX or other plastic/vinyl conditioner and it will clean, UV protect and maybe bring out some shine in those seals.
It wont cover or reduce scratches on the seal. Follow the directions, it can be used on all plastic, seals, and vinyl, dont get any on any console screen or display, and dont leave it on the paint or glass.
(Dont use products that contain only silicone or raw silicone oil-not good long term)

There are posts here about the leather seats and blue jeans, unfortunately with all the elbow grease you are putting into cleaning, I would consider seat covers, or just a drivers seat cover, there is a huge assortment at any after market site you can shop.

I will support your comments, and thank you for suggesting VinylX, after using it now for a few days since your recommendation I tossed all the old interior products I had.

ive always noticed that the seals seemed a little off. Mine is partially off from the left side rear door. Are these just snapped somehow in place or have an epoxy?

Now for the negative, hers has the light stone leather interior and with her job she has to wear jeans but for some reason the seat is turning blue. Dealer says it's because her jeans are new and she should wear something else, I'm going disagree. I do question the quality of the seats since none of our past vehicles did this either. The fix is about every 3 to 4 days I must clean the seat with leather cleaner.

Dealer is right. This happens on my wife's Acadia and even to the lighter counter tops in our home. It's definitely the jeans. Search around the internet and you will find all sorts of stories about jeans and light coloured interiors from almost every automobile manufacturer.

The headlights are bright but the high beams have you seeing tops of trees and having owls mad at you for blinding them. We have taken it to the dealer and was told they are adjusted correctly and we should keep the fog light on to help out. Doesn't make since to me since the relay shuts off the fog lights when the high beams come on. I know the low beams have the horizontal shadow line and she has gotten used to it, however she doesn't like people flashing her when she doesn't have her high beans on. We have given up using the high beams because they are useless. It's seems the are more on vertical axis than the horizontal.

I doubt your dealer really checked the headlight alignment or even knows what they're talking about, especially if their advice was to use your foglights. If your wife is being flashed without having her brights on just adjust them down a bit yourself. Park in front of a garage door or wall and turn the adjustment screw to lower the aim a little - a small change will make a big difference when driving. I had to do the same - dropped mind about half an inch and they're much better now.

I personally don't like the side view mirrors, I would have put the blind spot mirror on the lower inside instead of the outside top.

I have the BLIS system and wish I just had normal blind spot mirrors. The little orange light is hard to notice at a glance and is almost invisible when it's raining. I looked at buying the standard mirrors to swap them out but they're about $250 for a pair! I'm working on an alternative that still looks OEM but it more visible to the driver (I don't like the look of convex stick on blind spot mirrors).

Seats Staining

I have the light stone interior and also wear jeans. Have never had this issue with the colour rubbing off. I'd say the problem is with the brand of jeans, not the seats.

As for the blind spot mirrors, I personally love those 2" stick on convex mirrors. It is the first thing I add to all my vehicles and I find the best spot for them is on the outside bottom edge of the mirror. They are excellent for parking since you can see the rear wheels with them.

Peter

Attachments

• PB080258a.jpg
    PB080258a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 607

Maybe it's just me, but I really like the mirrors. While I have BLIS, I like to check out cars approaching next to me at stop lights and I can always seem to see a bit of the car even when BLIS is on and the car is in the blind spot (I have not add-on blind spot mirror). Just seems better than other cars I have had.

ive always noticed that the seals seemed a little off. Mine is partially off from the left side rear door. Are these just snapped somehow in place or have an epoxy?

These outer window seals dont seem to have any snap-in part, they just seem to sit around the windows. They are not really 'seals' per se, they dont seal out anything on their outer edge at the body, but are snug on their inner edge at the glass.

Water likely is allowed in behind these seals and around the windows body edge, and it runs out elsewhere, like the rear cargo windows. Seals are not tight at all, - the rear cargo windows have no seals, their mounts are unseen and water runs down and around behind them in water channels.

im not sure that the blue is from jeans. my wife's explorer has this but its only just above the power seat controls, where pants dont even touch.

My 2-week old Explorer has the same issue with the seals on the rear doors. Only issue I have had thus far...

Perhaps the Ford rep can pop in and offer us some insight as it appears to be a wide spread issue!

Ben

I have the same problem with the rain seals...

...The door seals are the same for everyone, granted some better & some worse, if anyone has better door seals, especially the 'corner', they have yet to post pics...

ive always noticed that the seals seemed a little off...

My 2-week old Explorer has the same issue with the seals on the rear doors...

Hi gang,

Any physical concern with your vehicle should be brought to the attention of your dealership for documentation and diagnosis. I'm always happy to do what I can to help as well; just reach out to me via PM so I can check out some ways to assist. When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I've seen seats discolor like that before but I don't know why some seem more prone to it than others. My issue is that the leather on these seats seems to be wearing very quickly. I really don't think these seats will hold up in the long run. Cracking seems like a very real possibility within even just a few quick years. 10+ just looks impossible.

I've seen seats discolor like that before but I don't know why some seem more prone to it than others. My issue is that the leather on these seats seems to be wearing very quickly. I really don't think these seats will hold up in the long run. Cracking seems like a very real possibility within even just a few quick years. 10+ just looks impossible.

I recently bought a 2011 with 31k on it and I think they leather is in great shape (though I don't think the seats are the most comfortable). Perhaps they changed the leather in future years, or different batches can turn out differently, but I think my leather is in great shape. Yeah, it's black so it will not show stains much, but 3 years and 31k and no signs of cracking. Still quite supple.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope I'm wrong and it does hold up, I just don't have a lot of confidence with how the leather looks already. (big creasing in the grain on the bolsters like the pics above except mine is black)

The leather in my Audi is 3 years old and looks brand new. My Pontiac is 11 years old and looks as good as the ford's.

Back