30" tires?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

30" tires??

Hey guys, been doing some searching and I couldn't come up with anything. Will a 30" tire (BFG A/T TA KO 30/9.50/15's) fit on a stock height 92 x 4x4? The michelen's that are on there right now...well let's just say that even for a winter tire, I'm not impressed at all. I want a tire that's gonna fill that fender, look aggressive, and perform well. I've driven trucks with the BFG's before and I love the tire...just not sure about the size.

With these tires on the stock rims...can I use a 3/4" - 1" spacer to offset the wheels outward a bit for stability without anything bad?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can fit 31's easy in most 1st gen 4x4's vehicles the Elite registry link in my sig shows 31x10.50x15 on 15x8's no lift (except to level the rear about an inch/inch and a half)
30's will look good, and are very close to stock width tires, if you wana push out, go with the bigger tire (31's), alot of people run them on stocker rims with no issue. if you want to go out further get some different backspacing wheels, stock is 4.75 alot of people run 3.75, I run 4", so that would give you an 1" or 3/4" plus the rim putting another inch out. good luck!

I'm not familiar with spacers being a major issue, but 3/4" or 1" is alot, and I've never seen anyone run more than a 1/4". a single hunk of metal like that could probably get you a good start on money towards some wheels.

Thanks guys. That's great news. As for the spacers...well I have a good friend who is a machinist here in town with some CNC equipment and also some manual machines too. He's done hundreds of wheel spacers, so they're pretty easy.

The twisted 5 spoke rim that's pretty common on most first gen x's...are they 8" wide? I thought they were only 7.5". I guess it won't matter much.

So then I'd probably only want to stick to the 30x9.50x15's then on the stock rims? I'm sure that I could get a 10.5 on there, but I'm not sure what that would do for stability and handling.

i have a 10.5" tire on a 7" stock rim and theres no difference in stability or handling over stock

Back