• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen front clip on a 2nd gen?

RayLCC

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT AWD 5.0
I was looking at a third gen Explorer that I was parked nose to nose with at the store tonight and it got me thinking. Has anyone tried putting the front fenders and grille and headlights from a third gen on a second gen? Basically the front clip, but just the appearance part. Like they do when they swap out the Escalade front end on the older suburbans or tahoes or whatever they do it on. (it was showcased on trucks.) I think the third gens are wider than the second gens but I'm not sure it would make a difference in this case, and I think it would look cool. Any Ideas?

It could be done but it's not a bolt on swap. There would have to be alot of custom fabrication to make that work.

Thats what I thought. I've been thinking today and I've come to the conclusion that I like the front end on my Explorer. I think I'd just put a lot of work and frustration into a project that I wouldn't be happy with anyway. Besides, That takes money away from all the other projects I have planned for it. :)

if you want to do something differnt you could put a first gen mountaineer front onto it... like expo 5.0 and others....

Back