4.0 OHV Performance Build - An extremely capable daily! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV Performance Build - An extremely capable daily!

Hello,

Let me preface this post by saying that this is my first ever post in a forum, so if I'm doing something wrong, let me know. This thread is a follow-along of the build for my 1994 Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV. I just figured that other 1st gen enthusiast, like myself, would enjoy seeing my unique approach to building my 4.0 to be an extremely capable daily driver.

As for the truck, I purchased it in Seattle, WA for $1000 with 150k miles on it. At 200k I managed to blow the head gasket while playing in the TN ice storms... That's an excuse to upgrade! (or just rebuild, as far as my wife is concerned :D ) I bought a second engine from a buddy, and away I go!

(First post, so I'm testing this out with a picture)

_527661314043339_2488546670493353006_o_zps49sxv2gr.jpg

"No officer, I didn't see anyone doing donuts in the addition..."

OK! On to the story! First thing after the tare-down is to get what I need. And what I cant get I must make! I ordered a .020 over rebuild kit from EngineTech. Good price, but later, I found, some of the items in the kit needed to be replaced with higher quality ones.

In tearing down the old engine, I found some interesting things that I wasn't aware of. It appears that the push rods are solid and the rockers tips are very poorly lubed from whatever happens to splash on them. This engine having 280,000 miles on it, the rockers were near non-existent and the push rods looked like spears. Because I'm looking for every excuse to upgrade, I went with a set of Harland Sharp roller rockers with the Morana racing adjustable rocker setup.

WP_20150324_18_29_04_Pro_zpskkuuukpl.jpg

These rockers come with a 1.8:1 ratio as opposed to the 1.5:1 of the factory rockers. This is all fine and dandy, but I had already decided to order the 422 cam from Comp Cams and with the profile of that cam, I would end up with .601" lift at the valve. Performance-wise, no problem.... Parts-wise, PROBLEM. I called comp cams and they were unable to provide me with anything that would work, along with Pac Springs, so I did some research and found that behive springs for a for modular engine could work as long as I modified the heads and valve retainers.

WP_20150324_18_29_19_Pro_zpsuzo2rcvr.jpg

Once I got the springs in, I took some measurements and determined that in order to minimize the machine work, the springs would be best installed 'upside-down' from the traditional installation. I reground all of the valves and put a nice 3 angle valve-job in the head and measured my valve spring height. I determined that by machining the heads approximately .0150" lower in the spring pocket while keeping the same diameter for the guide OD I would have enough spring pressure and travel.

WP_20150514_09_03_03_Pro_zpsjm02mp33.jpg

Capture_zps2ng1zqbq.png

Next, I took the spring retainers and cut the OD of the spring seat smaller to fit the other side of the beehive spring. I used an endmill with a .0100" radius to help reduce the chance of stress fractures.

WP_20150613_09_49_39_Pro_zps4ithl9vp.jpg

WP_20150616_06_40_25_Pro_zpsm2zmwme4.jpg

Next, I test assembled the heads to check spring heights and travel. Everything fit perfectly, but in order to compensate for the height of the valve stem seals, I will need to cut the valve guides down a little.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anymore progress on this project?

I'm very close to getting this kit, minus the 422 cam and am looking for feedback on issues and solutions. I don't have the machine shops locally sourced so I have to farm out the work and that eats up my budget really fast. Knowing some of this ahead of time means less down time for me.

I'm mostly concerned with reliability issues and fitment quality.

If things go well, come rebuild time, 2 years down the road, I'm very likely going turbo, Morana stroker kit and custom engine computer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump.

Guys? Did your engines explode and kill you both?

Bump.

Guys? Did your engines explode and kill you both?

lol... <<crickets>>

Im still around..i finally got my parts back and just assembling my motor. .ive been talking with Tom..he has redesigned the plate a couple times as well as the hardware, he also has come out with a top girdle for them to keep them from breaking..for over $1,500 for his kit now,id highly advise against getting his roller rockers..

ive been talking with Tom..he has redesigned the plate a couple times as well as the hardware, he also has come out with a top girdle for them to keep them from breaking..

Is he going to send you the updated parts for free? It sure sounds like his design was never reliable in the first place.

Is he going to send you the updated parts for free? It sure sounds like his design was never reliable in the first place.
We are still emailing back and forth. .but yea i think he released it a little early

Damn. That's Savage.

I'm looking at a rebuild/full reconditioned engine since I flipped my X a few weeks back, and I've been scouring this tread as well as a few others for ideas.

I'm sorry you're having issues with your engine.

Damn. That's Savage.

I'm looking at a rebuild/full reconditioned engine since I flipped my X a few weeks back, and I've been scouring this tread as well as a few others for ideas.

I'm sorry you're having issues with your engine.
This is only issue, rest of motor is done..the top girdle is very large and requires modification to valve covers..it also may use longer studs,different/longer poly locks..i dont know if i have room for all that under my supercharger plate..

He has responded that he does have a updated plate and hardware and would replace mine if i pay shipping both ways..so im going to send them back..he hasn't responded to what is needed for the top girdle yet,ive asked in every email

Looking at the pain I've been thru, I'd definitely error on the side of caution.
I think your making a wise choice.

Im very interested in the roller rockers..ive been talking to Tom for years about them,i have yet found anyone to drop that kind of cash..fyi comp cams 988 dual springs wouldve worked.

If looking for real performance call Manley and get a set of custom 1.8 and 1.5 valves for it.they will run you $480ish but biggest performance gain you can get.those valves are extremely small..your need new hardened exhaust valve seats and custom bronze guides. .

SI makes stock stainless one piece valves in stock sizes..i wouldnt run the stock two piece valves,they have been know to break in half with the added spring pressure. Any SS valve will need custom bronze guides tho,the stock cast guides will wear and stick to the SS valve...TRUST ME

Also throw a Mellings M328hv oil pump in,helps a ton to get oil up top
JD4242... The 1.8 intake along with the 1.5 exhaust valves will physically fit but only have about 0.030" clearance between them! It would take just a little bit of guide wear and the valves will be in contact with each other. How do you propose this is a good upgrade?

Any update on this build?

The rocker arms are a complete kit with a mounting pedestal and locking screws and the roller rockers are lubricated via the lifters and hollow pushrods provided. I went with this setup because the original engine I took apart (like many 4.0 OHVs) had a lot of stuff on the factory pushrods and rocker arms.

As for the springs; Yes, they are not a traditional "beehive" shape, but they are actually tapered to reduce coil binding and provide more travel, which is why they are sold as beehive springs. They are P/N 26125... As far as I know, they are specified for a Ford Modular engine. But that was just my best guess and I could be wrong about the app.

If people are interested, I'll start keeping this thread updated. I stopped completely due to an apparent lack of interest.
Hello, my name is Jorge, in Argentina there are many 1st and 2nd generation explorers. Later Ford Argentina stopped importing them into the country.
There are many fans of this truck. Many run on Gasoline and other Bi-Fuel (gasoline and natural gas, methane, propane, butane, GLP or GNC)
Many here rebuild their engines and we are always looking to upgrade our OHVs.
This thread is fantastic, all the information is valuable. Thank you so much

Hello, my name is Jorge, in Argentina there are many 1st generation and 2nd generation explorers. Afterwards, Ford Argentina no longer imported them into the country.
There are many fans of this truck. Many run on Gasoline and others Bi-Fuel (gasoline and natural gas, methane, propane, butane, GLP or GNC)
Many here rebuild their engines and we are always looking to improve our OHVs.
This thread is fantastic, all information is valuable. Thank you so much

Back