4.0 SOHC Timing Noise | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I was able to make the engine in my truck very quiet with m1 extended performance oil
Did the ohv style oil change filter then oil as fast as you can and it was still normal engine sounds but after 500 miles quiet it's real quiet

I was on a hunt for this sounds we all were hearing on our new engines I removed the right side valve cover and no damage to the guides .....I thought I broke SOMEthing because it got that quiet...the oil did it May want to give this a try
Donald’s....

What do you plan on for oil change intervals with that (expensive) M1?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5000 miles I don't care about the price $25 isn't to bad
Worth it all the way sounds so much better now

Where do you get that price?

I thought I saw $50 at Advanced, and it looked like you had to order it.

Walmart and Amazon are the best places to buy oil and filters. I browse Amazon sometimes and find most of the best brands for $22-$25 or so. Pennzoil's high end stuff I've bought for $26 or $27 twice, usually I get the Valvoline or Castrol for around $22.

Update on manual tensioner install. September 5th I installed the manual tensioner in the right rear head of the 1997 4.0.
other than the one time that I went back and re-adjusted, I havn't again. It seems to be doing well so much that I don't think about it too much. I do think about it often because my Wife is driving it 80 miles a day + errands totaling up to at least 500 miles per week. I am considering installing a new hydraulic tensioner in its place but I am considering using a LH front chain type with the extended reservoir if the operating length is in the same range. Any of you 4.0 SOHC owners have any thoughts on this?

The reservoir tensioner installed at that angle will cause a air bubble which will translate to slap on startup
It has a longer cooperating range by a few millimeters
If the manual tensioner was gonna fail it would have already
If you do install the original style tensioner use a pre oiler to stop the startup rattle
Just my .2

IMG_20181207_1100061_rewind.jpg

Very good thinking! I didn't consider that at all. so if it were pre soaked before install like hydraulic lifters, then start it once to pump up, you are saying that it would leak down when it sat overnight? Even though it is installed at an opposing angle to how it is on the front left hand head?

Being a few MM longer I thought it ight make up for 200K chain stretch/wear...

Yes when it leaks down and it will bc of the valve springs pushing on the chain then it will leak down causing a air bubble imo the manual tensioner is the best solution or a pre oiler but the wife has to operate the pre oiler or it or it will rattle

I am anticipating having to adjust the manual tensioner at some point however I will run out of threads. If only the "maker" of the RZR tensioner had made it a few mm longer on the threaded adjuster. I could possibly have someone "tig" weld a few mm addition to the end pressing against the tensioner and the dress it back down smooth like it currently is. Just a thought.

Direct me to some info on this pre-oiler please
I'm thinking with the pre-oiler and the few mm longer LH tensioner installed in the RR rear head it would help make up for the 200K wear on the rear chain that has to be there..

Engine Pre Lube System Insta-Lube Kit
If the tensioner don't rattle while its running then there is no need to add Length to it
you will not need to adjust it for years the way it is now
You could get a thinner jam nut for the manual tensioner to add some more adjustment length

Manual tensioner update on page 6

Sorry just trying to give you as much info as possible

There may be other versions of the polaris manual tensioner, with more threads I can do a little searching. Most of these (EBAY) are obviously made from the ford/cloyes parts and made cheaply, but some companies who race the Polaris and are building high HP turbo versions might machine their own tensioners, I know the sparks racing unit I have in my wifes Rzr is much much heavier then the factory parts and its plated in some sort of gold plating (cost like it too)
Are you SURE you will need to adjust that bad boy? It may not ever need adjustment and when it does it should be like 1/4-1/2 a turn? How many threads do you have left?

1/2 a thread. But you may be right, I may never have to.

The jam nut is thick I would go to the hardware store and get a thinner one then you will have 2 or 3 threads for future adjustment like five years from now when the chain stretches a little more

My adjustment was the same as your pic so I'm sure the guide Is not broke
With good clean oil the guides don't really wear
In or at least it's very rare

5-19-19 Manual Tensioner Update: My Wife has been driving the blue '97 SOHC powered Explorer since the middle of December ~ 400 miles a week now which if I am doing my basic math correctly would be around 7000 miles since December. I'll admit that I do put an ear to it almost every morning. I will stand on the porch and listen to it as she starts it up. It sounds consistent and I have really expected to hear a little front chain noise because I think that I have overlooked changing the oil 3300 miles ago. I have the 5 quart jug of oil in the back. Just trying to remember if that 4.0 SOHC engine still uses the FL1A filter? I'm happy with the manual tensioner install and may order another to install in the white '97 when I can get back on the repairs on it.

Thanks for the update.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5-19-19 Manual Tensioner Update: My Wife has been driving the blue '97 SOHC powered Explorer since the middle of December ~ 400 miles a week now which if I am doing my basic math correctly would be around 7000 miles since December. I'll admit that I do put an ear to it almost every morning. I will stand on the porch and listen to it as she starts it up. It sounds consistent and I have really expected to hear a little front chain noise because I think that I have overlooked changing the oil 3300 miles ago. I have the 5 quart jug of oil in the back. Just trying to remember if that 4.0 SOHC engine still uses the FL1A filter? I'm happy with the manual tensioner install and may order another to install in the white '97 when I can get back on the repairs on it.

Good to hear. Keep good synthetic in it and it should go a long time.

That 97 does take the big FL1A filter, my 99 has it also.

Back