• Register Today It's free!

4-cyl Turbo Blown Head Gasket

dempseypw

Reaction score
City, State
St. Pete, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have 2018 Edge SEL. Last month with 70K miles on it, the head gasket "blew". Minor, it seems--I was still able to drive it with a "Misfiring Cyl#3" code. I watched YouTube on how to add gasket sealant. I bought the high-priced good stuff that was recommended--with carbon fibers-- and FOLLOWED THE INSTRCTIONS (I promise--lol). I've put 2,000 miles on it since with no issues. But my question(s) is/are this: 1) How long can I expect this to last? 2) If #3 leaked, how soon before #1, 2, 4 start? 3) I like the car otherwise, but what is the best option at this point in keeping the car? I'm looking at drving across country soon. Repair/replace the engine first? Dump the car and get another one?

Thanx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who/what told you the head gasket blew? Is the car losing coolant? Does it smoke a lot?

The head gasket is a vital component and any failure is usually catastrophic if driven. The cylinder heat heats up and warps which means its junk at that point.

The stop leak chemicals are really a waste of money. They usually do more damage to other systems. Ford may even refuse to warranty it if they find any trace of that stuff in the engine.

I'd have the car towed to a reputable mechanic who knows the Ecoboost engines.

Who/what told you the head gasket blew? Is the car losing coolant? Does it smoke a lot?

The head gasket is a vital component and any failure is usually catastrophic if driven. The cylinder heat heats up and warps which means its junk at that point.

The stop leak chemicals are really a waste of money. They usually do more damage to other systems. Ford may even refuse to warranty it if they find any trace of that stuff in the engine.

I'd have the car towed to a reputable mechanic who knows the Ecoboost engines.
Thanx. Here were my indications and alarms: Initially-- while on the highway, HIGH TEMP alarm and thermostat shot up to pegged high; after it cooled down, was able to limp into my destination several hundred miles later. I got the hi temp alarm several more times that day, but would cool it off and add water, etc. For the next 2 weeks-- occasional Cyl #3 misfire. and car was hard to start. But drove it to work (20 miles each way) for 2 weeks, Then I did the gasket sealant procedure.

I'd bring it to Ford and highlight the article above that Turdle posted. I knew it was very common on the 3 cylinder engine but I was unaware it affects the I4. On the 1.5 engine, the blocks crack between cylinders due to the thin wall coolant jacket design. They have an updated design they use now

GOT IT!!! THANX!!!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You may also want to check into some of the Ford Edge forums to see what info they may have on this issue.
BTW, your profile shows you have a 2000 XLT. Update time?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You may also want to check into some of the Ford Edge forums to see what info they may have on this issue.
BTW, your profile shows you have a 2000 XLT. Update time?

Peter
Thanx for the info. BTW, I STILL have that BRAND NEW 2000 XLT!!! LOL 342,000 miles :)

Back