410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 55 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

I guess that you can tell that I found the spring and rear end work from all of the likes. Nice modification. I can see that I won't really need it on the mostly camping '91 4 dr. But it is nice to know how to do that and see that it works well.
ADDED: what does RVB mean? recreational vehicle buggy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Analog CAD.

Hmm that makes me ponder... What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
european barn swallows peak at 30 mph, but at cruising speed, theyre closer to 10 iirc. (source: bio class...last year) that being said, idk if I got it correct... well see if i pass the bridge!

Ranger based vehicles!!!!!
Ranger bronco ii explorer explorer sport mountaineer Navajo b2300 b3000 b4000 sport trac all rbv

Is the early Aerostar an rbv? With its 4.0, a4ld and awd…. I think so!

Here is Scott’s @fordpickupman gen I build

His Truck builds are so sweet, notice I said “builds”
He turns out some of the best rigs I’ve seen
They are a metal fab shop so that helps!
He has obs 4 door f350 flatbed like me but his is Fummins
He just built a wicked cool new shop rig big monster welding service truck

Chevy 63” leaf mod is listed in like the third post

Dog picture posted, you are forgiven.

I have now hacked the 04/05
Ranger cluster 100%this means I can upgrade older 96-02 explorers rangers sports to use this updated cluster
I like the big bright 4wd lights

Thanks for sharing, I might be picking your brain about this in the future. I kind of want something other than the black factory cluster in my '99, but retain a factory appearance. I've got a silver faced Explorer (?) cluster, but I don't know if I like it much better. That later model cluster is a nice look.
Kartek made the rear spring hangers that invert the shackle (facing up, ranger shackles point down) because their brackets keep everything under the bed (1.5” drop vs just using the stock hanger flipped)

As in they drop the truck 1.5" vs what the flipped stock hanger would? Or do you mean that the Kartek shackle pivot point is 1.5" lower than with the flipped stock hanger, effectively lifting the truck?

I'm not planning to sun Chevy springs, but this might be handy information for dialing in rear ride height.

Ranger based vehicles!!!!!
Ranger bronco ii explorer explorer sport mountaineer Navajo b2300 b3000 b4000 sport trac all rbv

Is the early Aerostar an rbv? With its 4.0, a4ld and awd…. I think so!

I'm going to have to say no. Aerostar is as much an RBV, as a Pinto or Mustang is.

As you noted the Aerostar did share an engine and transmission with the Ranger. First year production had the 2.8L and A4LD. The M2 and Pinto both had the 2.8L as well. The A4LD was also used in some 80s Mustangs, and was derived from the C3 transmission which was used in the Mustang, Pinto, and some other cars of the 70s and 80s. In 1987 it switched to the 3.0L which was introduced for cars in 1986, it wasn't put in the Rangers until 1991.

Like the Pinto and Mustang, the Aerostar was unibody construction instead of body on frame. It used an independent front suspension similar to those, not TIB like the Rangers. Actually the suspension was more similar to the second gen Explorers than any thing else. Rear suspension was trailing arm and coil spring. I don't think anything else in Ford's lineup used that configuration at the time. Maybe some FWD, but this was RWD and had a solid axle.

Some parts are similar, but I think it's pretty safe to say that the Aerostar was its own platform and not an RBV. That's my 2 cent on the subject anyway.

That would be correct! With a unibody and no ttb in the 90s it’s no ranger

The Kartek hangers are 1.5” drop vs the stock ranger hanger flipped. If you use the stock ranger hanger no way will it fit under the stock height bed

And yes here dropping the rear spring hanger, lifts the truck half that much

Allright some finishing touches to catch you guys up on

IMG_1597.jpeg

Shop signature on the truck ;)

IMG_1603.jpeg

IMG_1625.jpeg

IMG_1620.jpeg

Wooden block was hand sanded and coated 4 coats of water seal.
Go pro mount for Holley is adjustable can move around and face any direction. There is enough space to add on; a phone charger perhaps

IMG_1613.jpeg

IMG_1610.jpeg

Found another use for the notch in the center console
The Holley needed a mount. We had some go pro mounts in the shop and a nice piece of metal so…

IMG_1628.jpeg

Mounted the inferred receiver for the 4 camera Birds Eye system with some 3m clear double sticky tape

IMG_1624.jpeg

Arb switches are active, compressor works awesome so does rear locker ;)

The open blank switch location I will
Plug the hole with another switch. This can be used for some more accessory lights :)
I already ran a switched power ground and illumination wire to the location. (For future use @EddieMoney )
IMG_1614.jpeg

IMG_1615.jpeg

IMG_1616.jpeg

IMG_1617.jpeg

IMG_1622.jpeg

The multimedia system has a nifty microphone module that needed a place to live
I sourced some black steering wheel shrouds from a stick shift explorer , a pretty rare part around here. I had to open the hole a little and run a screw.. but now the old “key release” switch hole has a purpose

Also put my signature in the instrument cluster gear indicator blank. This is a rough draft… the final graphic that will live there is in production

Now to show the construction of the drivers outer fender skirt

First the factory bit is fitted,
Marked and trimmed
I cut it where it began to turn down to lead to the old factory fender lip

IMG_1631.jpeg

IMG_1632.jpeg

IMG_1633.jpeg

IMG_1636.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg

IMG_1638.jpeg

IMG_1639.jpeg

CAD template created, very similar to pass
Side
The rough template is cut and slid into position

Now the part nobody likes
Drilling into the fiberglass sucks! But it’s necessary, in two spots minimum

Drill bit is set on reverse, small hole is made, a “thick” portion of the lip is chosen to make a lasting connection

A factory screw and fastener is fitted to the template
It is important to attach this edge to the fiberglass fender first; and then with the heat gun stretch the new plastic to form to the inner fender space

I use a combo of metal bits and a scissor jack in spots to get the shape I need
The new plastic was heated, bent, stretched, cooled, and massaged until it makes contact with the factory inner fender plastic. Then they are screwed together with some self tappers

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg

IMG_1648.jpeg

IMG_1649.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1652.jpeg

IMG_1653.jpeg

IMG_1656.jpeg

Final results! I’m happy! Someday I’ll redo my bronco like this

The reservoir mounts can now be fabbed
The “resis” have a home and the hose is routed

IMG_1659.jpeg

IMG_1660.jpeg

IMG_1663.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

Final results…. Outside

Nothing else to install back here at river house
Quick trip outside for a photoshoot and then on trailer… to town and wash
Bed, bedsides, final setup will happen fast!

IMG_1666.jpeg

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

(I am aware there is a parking lamp bulb out)

IMG_1672.jpeg

IMG_1674.jpeg

IMG_1673.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1661.jpeg

IMG_1675.jpeg

So strange to be in the shop and no blue truck!! She’s outside.. just for the night haha

Nothing else to install back here at river house
Quick trip outside for a photoshoot and then on trailer… to town and wash
Bed, bedsides, final setup will happen fast!

View attachment 452961

View attachment 452962

View attachment 452963

(I am aware there is a parking lamp bulb out)

View attachment 452965

View attachment 452966

View attachment 452967

View attachment 452969

View attachment 452970

View attachment 452973
So strange to be in the shop and no blue truck!! She’s outside.. just for the night haha
coming along nicely!!!!! thats a dream build there!

That looks badass inside and out!

Thank you!

IMG_1680.jpeg

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_1684.jpeg

You can see our ancient cedar stump hollowed out and filled with soil, planted an apple tree in it. The moose cannot reach it so it’s thriving

IMG_1686.jpeg

IMG_1688.jpeg

Now that I’ve driven it some more the rear end is stiff, but not as bad as I was thinking. First few drives it felt like a hay wagon now she seems to be flexing a bit

Will see with the bed on how she handles before we “tune” any springs

Was testing the rear locker on the motocross tabletop

IMG_1687.jpeg

IMG_1688.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg

+2” per side for the truetravel mid travel ranger kit

Naw, it's gotta be at least 6" wider than stock each side, I see 6" of tire outside 3" flared fenders. Stock tires tuck inside stock fenders.

That’s the wheels

The suspension is plus 2
These wheels have 4” offset

That should equal almost 6” plus per side

Not sure what the factory offset it on a 07 ranger but I think we are about 5”‘wider then stock per side

Could always get some wheels to suck the tires back in, gen iii wheels are good for this… but where is the fun in that!
On the old trucks, like my bii, a 3” flare fender has a huge opening… on these later rangers the 3” flare is not as dramatic

Some simple mud guards/ flaps could be made to help save the paint job :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

She made the journey earlier this week
Had to load backwards on the trailer, front end too wide to fit between the wheel arches on the trailer

She’s been washed and the bed being fitted… stay tuned! Last couple
Weeks of this build, finishing touches and setup. Kids out of school….
Summer is here!

IMG_1734.jpeg

IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg

IMG_1733.jpeg

Back