410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

Maybe this truck is a good candidate to at least have a look see at using the f150 09-14 front center section...........I'm going to try and find some pics

s-l640.jpg

the overall width is the big concern I mean we have to have the cv axles pivot near the same location as the LCA......I wonder what the size diff is vs the D35 SLA, what a 7.5" ring gear vs 8.75?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would have to change everything to get that to 8.8 to work. Knuckles, Control arms, axles, and all. I have been waiting for some one to do it tho. I believe your just the guy to make it happen!

I think that setup would be just as good as a long arm, as you can get RCV axles, coil overs, and uniball tube arms for that setup, right off the shelf. Heck of a lot cheaper too. I would do it if there was a write up to follow! lol

Maybe this truck is a good candidate to at least have a look see at using the f150 09-14 front center section...........I'm going to try and find some pics

s-l640.jpg

the overall width is the big concern I mean we have to have the cv axles pivot near the same location as the LCA......I wonder what the size diff is vs the D35 SLA, what a 7.5" ring gear vs 8.75?

So the F150 is an 8.8 diff? If it is, how the pictures make them seem similar, that would mean it's all larger enough to hit the oil pan for sure. Even if the width matched, the two left mounts would take fabbing to locate them. I could see it working without too much trouble in a body lifted truck.

I need to get one of these diffs in my hand
We are already talking about changing out the suspension for long travel and we are planning to drop the diff down with Superlift brackets..... So a little fabrication might be required, my middle name should have been Mcgyver!
How many years was it before somebody finally put a D44 ttb into a RVB?
Maybe its time to get this party started

Progress pics
BYE BYE Torsion bars
171_200943_500000000.jpg

Old t bars make awesome pry bars :)
171_200943_500000001.jpg

171_200943_510000002.jpg

Dang came out fuzzy.....need to clean camera lens. You get the point
time for lift and gears!

That makes it official.... Another T-Bar free member! Congrats! :dpchug:

Do you have a salvage yard nearby? Might be able to find the proper year F-150 there, to get a front 8.8 chunk, measure the front frame rail, & cross member width. I am fairly certain the widths are wider, maybe half a foot on the frame, a few on the cross member.

yes I have SEVERAL yards we frequent.....most are 50 miles away though so I'm real careful about making a list and checking it twice
I will be headed to the yard this weekend
I am still researching the ability to retrofit an existing ARB or OX into the Ranger SLA diff....

Don't mean to hi-jack at all, but been thinking a little about the 8.8 retrofit.

The control arms on the F-150 are more than likely wider than the Explorer/Ranger arms. The mounts on the Explorer/Ranger would have to be moved, to use stock or aftermarket F-150 arms.

Uppers: I think that BTF Fab could easily make a set with Ranger width bushing mounts, and F-150 uniball outer to match width & length to the F-150 knuckles. They custom made my uniball arms, to be a little longer than they normally make them, w/o hesitation. (I wanted more adjustment room for alignments)

Lowers: This one not so easy if using stock F-150 configured arms, as the tabs are part of the cross member. A bracket (or 2) would have to be made to not only be wider, but stick further away from the cross member, placing the bolt holes the same width from left to right as the F-150. If custom lower tube arms are made the same way as the modified uppers, then no big deal.

Shock towers: Pretty sure the stock towers will have to be removed in favor of some aftermarket weld on towers, such as RuffStuff sells, or tube riser mounts, with engine cross bar. The larger F-150 CV's and longer arms are going to offer more travel than the stock setup, so shocks with more usable travel can be used.

3rd member mounts: With a drop bracket lift, this can be made to fit by modifying the plow bracket I imagine. But w/o the bracket lift, the mount locations aren't the only issue. The cross member will surely obstruct the front of the 8.8 using the stock center bolt location.

Wheels: Matching wheels for the larger F-150 lug pattern and rear spacers for width and lug pattern match.

All that almost sounds as hard as just doing an SAS. I personally like the IFS for my use, but hate the weak D35 IFS. The stronger 8.8 (even more so with upgrades), would be the ultimate SLA IFS for an RBV I think. I would absolutely love to see this done someday.

I hope you can figure the select able locker out. I have yet to pull a trigger on the Torsen LSD, and rather have a select able. I checked into the Auburn Select a lock (Open or LS to full lock) E-locker, from and they don't even know the difference in the 35's. They say all 35's from 84-14, and to do the C-clip eliminator mod on the axle slip shaft on Ranger, Mazda B4k & Mountaineers. LOL!!

Auburn 35 Select-A-Loc Limited Slip-to-Lock - Select-A-Loc | Auburn Gear Aftermarket

8.8 IFS SLA retrofit is a good idea. However after much and long discussions about the planned use for this truck we have two possible paths:

Keep the D35 SLA setup and run a torsen. Add the Superlift and a 2" long travel kit, coilovers

or

Swap in a dana 44 TTB using selectable locker, extended radius arms, TTB engine cradle, coilovers, etc.......

We really like the idea of a ttb! 18" of wheel travel, its a stock dana 44 so can run any locker. uses stock F150 beams, axles, brakes, bearings, hubs, steering, etc.
Would add limit straps and bump stops, add a readhead steering gear box. Hack out all of the IFS brackets and engine cradle, graft in TTB engine cradle and axle pivot brackets. Remove rack and pinion in favor of the steering gear box..... believe it or not there are a few SLA trucks that have converted to TTB....... two methods:

1. graft in ttb frame, hack off frame at firewall, add Gen II TTB frame rails
or
2. graft in TTB engine cradle and pivot brackets, hack out the IFS and engine cradle, add TTB cradle and steering box....really similar to a SAS

Something to chew on!

I am putting together the cost of everything so we can make a final decision............

something like this :)
Suspension-catergory.jpg

Inspiration

I love this thread. It took me 2 days but I read it all.

Jaime you are an animal with the V8 swaps. You are doing it right and I really appreciate the attention to detail and going out of your way to make sure everything is addressed properly. Mad props. All of this is really intriguing.

I am a little offended with the suspension discussion- put a solid axle in there buddy. Add coil overs if you want. It will be strong and tough and work incredible off-road.

Kirby thank you very much for the kind words!

Noted! Do not be offended! SAS has its place!!

We are sticking IFS with this build...... its being purpose built. I have 2 solid axle rigs and 3 IFS rigs....solid axles are cool but harsh ride in the bumps. IFS = weekend warrior, this truck will see mostly highway and dirt roads, a few trails and some obstacles, but mostly old logging roads, forest roads, etc. We have had long discussions about this.
We are sticking with IFS for this truck

I am back on this build, just sold a V8 ranger we built, finishing up a V8 sport trac (I helped on), and finishing up a V6 ranger build (3.0 to 4.0 and 5 speed)

I spent much of my spring fixing our own vehicles and now I am back focused like a laser beam on the 07.

Brett is shipping me the fresh 4r70w this week.
I have the front lift parts being prepped for paint and I am pulling the trigger on ordering some really neat goodies (like a BTF long travel kit)

We decided to skip the TTB for now, going to finish this truck with a rear locker, ranger SLA front using Superlift and long travel, coilovers...
Then while hes driving it we are thinking about building a whole different frame, boxed, with a steering gear box and long travel TTB...then swap frames :) Or heck just build two trucks......

SAS is not for everyone. I hear you loud and clear!! I love solid axles, they have their place, just not under this truck.........

171_271044_260000000.jpg

171_271044_260000001.jpg

3ea, 5.0, RBV

Damn, I'm not getting notifications on this thread anymore.

It would be awesome to try and use the 8.8 from an f-150, but those CV shafts are always the weak point, especially when you put a lot of lift on them.

I dream for the day when I can be torsion bar free, but that's a chunk of change for another year...

grafting the frame from the firewall forward would be the best imo. ive had a few friends do this... one was on a tacoma, its not too difficult and makes things WAY easier

did I say BTF whoops
I meant TTD
better deal IMO

Ranger-2Plus-4WD-Long-Travel-Kit.jpg

with the superlift drop brackets in place we might be able to stuff a 10" threaded body

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True Travel Dynamics +2 kit ordered!!
3-4 week lead time, they do sell replacement parts if needed and they got back to me the next business day to answer my questions.
Very refreshing :)
Kit includes tie rod extenders, limit straps, and the boxed dual shock towers.....something other kits that cost more do NOT include

Back