4R70W Constant Shudder?

gavin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
I have another post regarding some issues I'm having with my truck, but I can't seem to find anything wrong.

I've already had my transmission rebuilt, but can't say I ever really felt that shudder that the 4R70W is known to have when using Mercon.

My question is; does the shudder it will have, happen only when shifting from 4th - OD, or 4th - 3rd?
Can it be a consistant and constant shudder?

I have no clue what transmission fluid the shop used when I had my transmission rebuilt, and am wondering if this may be my next course of action (although it wouldn't hurt for me to replace the fluid anyway).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it isn't the torque converter lock you are feeling? there is no "4 to overdrive" shift. The shift feeling you sense after 4th, or overdrive, is the converter locking. I wonder if the torque converter clutch solenoid is actuating smoothly?

and yes-I could see an incorrect fluid formulation causing this also.

well I get the shudder/vibe regardless of OD being turned on or off. I usually drive with OD off, until I get up to 60 or so. With my stocker tires, anyway; with my 33s I pretty much never turn OD on.
It's a constant feeling, regardless of speed and RPMs.
Amount of vibe/shudder between 50mph and 70mph is similar; the difference is slim to none.

Are you sure it isn't the torque converter lock you are feeling? there is no "4 to overdrive" shift. The shift feeling you sense after 4th, or overdrive, is the converter locking.

well.. that is kinda what I meant by 4th to OD :confused:

Bump...

My brothers Grand Marquis with a 4r70 is doing the shudder. I'm curious as to where this thread went.

I'd start by adding MerconV and Lubegard Platinum to the tranny to replace the old fluid... then we can go from there.

Glacier...is Lubeguard Platinum like that Dr. Tranny shudder fix, or whatever it is?

Does that shudder-fix stuff really work?

I ONLY recommend Lubegard, and OEM's agree. Swap out your fluid to fresh MercV and add a bottle of Lubegard Platinum. let me know how it works once you do. It MAY not fix it, but it is a proper first step and not wasted.

The shudder fix may or may not work... it ususally is just friction additive. I not wholly agin it, just prefer a fluid change and if you want an additive ... Lubegard.

well in my case... my truck was just having all sorts of issue.
I wasn't actually getting any studder from my transmission.
#1 - driveshaft issues.
#2 - half-shaft issues.
#3 - bad plug wire.

The shudder I felt went going uphill, was due to a dying plug wire on cyl 6. So it was actually a misfire.

My transmission is still running great.

although I did end up changing all the fluid out anyway, just for good measure (and since the shop told me change it out a few thousand after they rebuilt it... oops)

Another excellent point. Sometimes what is reported as a shudder is an engine misfire problem. Generally these days, and increasingly so, monitors will set a MIL/CEL (idiot light) for engine misfires. This is not the first time a shudder complaint was in fact an engine problem. The best thing about trying to diagnose a shudder problem from afar and being wrong with a suggested fluid change.... is that you GOT a fluid change. Fluid needs to be changed FAR more frequently than it is.

Another excellent point. Sometimes what is reported as a shudder is an engine misfire problem. Generally these days, and increasingly so, monitors will set a MIL/CEL (idiot light) for engine misfires. This is not the first time a shudder complaint was in fact an engine problem. The best thing about trying to diagnose a shudder problem from afar and being wrong with a suggested fluid change.... is that you GOT a fluid change. Fluid needs to be changed FAR more frequently than it is.

The 4R70W with shudder issues needs a COMPLETE Mercon V change over, especially if its pre 97. You have to get everything out by pumping it thru the cooler and change the filter. There is a TSB on this.

Back