4wd aussie style | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd aussie style

Well i have read heaps about the tracks the fun that you have in america but no one here has been 4wding in Australia it seems. i don't expect many aussies on this site as it is almost unheard of to 4wd with an explorer overhere, considering our first import was in 1996. The costs of these cars have stayed quite high and repairing even higher. But i am 1 of the few that figure if you have such a great potential 4wd use it...I have a 97 xlt wich to date hasn't faulted and it has had it pretty rough(no rollovers <yet>, but have been real real close)
I am in Perth Western Australia which means i am on the coast of Western Australia so to travel long distances in a normal thing. To get to the east cost is approx 5000km to go to southest point of W.A is approx 500km to go to to the most northern point of W.A is approx 5000km so as you can imagine a lifetime of distance and heaps of great 4wding.
For perth people a common 4wding spot is lancelin( a small fishing town north of perth approx 1.5 hours drive) where there are world classed(and rated) sand dunes. miles and miles of these things that change daily.
If you don't want the dunes there is heaps of tracks and hours and hours of beach 4wding. great fishing and diving to. If you get onto the beach in Lancelin and drive approx 1 hour north you hit a wedge shaped island(now connected to the mainland) called wedge island. More 4wding there to be done on the dunes and many many tracks---- alot of people go up there over easter break(i am talking maybe 1500 family in 4wds) every one is friendly and love to drink..wwoohhoo.
Our temps here can be a difficult thing for some people(and cars) as in summer we are commonly between 38-45 degrees celcius so out on the dunes working the older cars can be a challenge(lucky i got an explorer hey)

Another common spot is a place called Waroona dam about 1.5hours south this is a dam where people water ski(except this year as water levels are tooo low) but there are soooo many kms of tracks hills drops (cliffs) and obstacles to get through. This is a little favourite of mine as there is good fly fishing and marron in the dam. We have been lost in the tracks night 4wding a few times as they are so extensive..Well worth it. One of my mates even ended up in the dam with his car and if you can imagine getting out of the car taking a little jump and sinking in the mud up to your waste you'll realise how soft this mud is(i was the one who bet he wouldn't make it across the stream that runs off the dam........i won $5) . It tookmy x and my mates 2000 triton almost 3 hours of great fun to get him out he was stuck soooo deep (don't you love to have an excuse to get covered in mud).
Well i can go on and on about tracks in australia but i'll see if ne1 takes interest and if so i add more about aussie 4wdingg next time....
If any one has questions about us down under just ask......

speak to you all later

Scotty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a cool place to live. a lot of fun.

here is my Aussie driving the X.... and even on the Austrailian side of the road too...... Dead Link Removed

LOL..
funny pic Jim:)

How many kilometres have you done

I am interested to find out the highest km ex in Oz.:D

the biggest in the explorer was about 9000 km in one trip

Thats one long trip, so how many kms has your car done

I am interested in ths sort of km aussie explorers are getting up to. My local dealer has seen one with 300000km on the clock without any major probs. I have done 140000km without any major probs except for the larest manifold o ring prob.

I have done 120000 kms in my car and had no problems... regulsr services etc and it spends most weekends off road.... minute i get the check engine light i scan the code and get the problem fixed straight away.

Back