5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used window weld to make poly bushings.
So just press it all apart, swap the sleeves and pour in some window weld? Never heard of that, looking it up lol

If anyone wants to know, the 8.8 flange and the 10.5 flange are the same thing. I’m assuming they’re just a different spline count. Not sure I’m gonna double check. But the good news is I know exactly where there is one in the yard, so now I have a whole laundry list of stuff to grab this Saturday!
According to dennys driveshaft, the 8.8 is a 30 spline and the 10.5 is a 31 spine. ALMOST the same thing. Cool!
Will I be able to get the flange off with an impact gun and a hammer or will I need some kind of puller?
Is 10.5 a differential size? Also the spline count IS different, so you have to get a different pinion yoke ? Where did the 10.5 come from?
8609 is T-A-S !

So just press it all apart, swap the sleeves and pour in some window weld? Never heard of that, looking it up lol
Pretty much it. It has to be clean and use a template to hold the sleeve in place to dry. I used cardboard, nothing fancy. The import guys have been doing this for almost 30 years. There's a lot of write ups and information on it out on the internet.

I googled it. A 10.5 is out of an F-250...

@allmyEXes sterling 10.5” rear axel from an F250. By “the same” I meant bolt pattern on the flange, not the spine count. In other words, everything Ford from that time period-ish that used a flange will bolt to anything else (explore, expedition, excursion, F250) all have the same driveshaft/pinion flange bolt pattern. But yeah the spline count for the different difs is different.

Ok so here is the start on the shift boot holder.
Plan is for the boot to get glued to a plate that will bolt to this with nutserts with some gasket type material. This will be bolted to the floor with some tabs and a few nutserts also. It’s getting enclosed and filled with insulation and some kinda gasket to smash against the vinyl flooring once that is installed.
Floor-box-boot-knob, if that makes it easier to understand what’s in my head lol
I needed to get this thing to the point of being able to bolt in so I can make holes in the flooring when I install it.
I’m also going to make an access panel that will be under the flooring to access the shift lever bolt, if that ever needs to be messed with.
IMG_4009.jpeg

Didn’t have much time today, had to get the excursion ready to tow the 76 home this weekend. Got the frame to the point it bolts into the floor with a fat gap to allow for flooring and insulation. Feels good to me, leg touches it, but I kinda like it. Almost an anchor point to brace against when things get silly.
Still need to finish the box and top that will hold the actual boot, but I can start getting the flooring in soon!
Might junkyard axle parts Sunday, might finish the floor, not sure yet.
IMG_4056.jpeg
IMG_4057.jpeg

That is one way to do it! Looks a lot like a ranger/f150 t case shift boot/floor boot

Now you know we are going to ask for pictures of the excursion!

Excursion is stock for now. Nothing special, just a 5.4 2wd. Got a buddy with all the parts to straight axle swap it, and I’ll need to hop on the truck forum and start asking about drive train swaps. But sure, I’ll get some pics of that loaded up with the 76 150 on the trailer.

Excursion is stock for now. Nothing special, just a 5.4 2wd. Got a buddy with all the parts to straight axle swap it, and I’ll need to hop on the truck forum and start asking about drive train swaps. But sure, I’ll get some pics of that loaded up with the 76 150 on the trailer.
Cummins 5.9 or 6.7 is a good swap option. Complete kits are available

12 valve Fummins is the way to go with a 5.4 excursion or could always swap over to a 7.3 which came in there factory
I would go with the Cummins for sure if I could afford the kit and donor makes for one wicked excursion that will last a lifetime

I love our 7.3 excursion she is a beast!! 238k miles now

12 valve Fummins is the way to go with a 5.4 excursion or could always swap over to a 7.3 which came in there factory
I would go with the Cummins for sure if I could afford the kit and donor makes for one wicked excursion that will last a lifetime

I love our 7.3 excursion she is a beast!! 238k miles now
The early 00s F650 and F750 had a 5.9 Cummins. If you found one leaving California, you'd have everything needed to swap into an excursion fairly cheap

There’s a half plan for that, mostly just getting all 4 wheels to drive will make me happy for now, and when I kill the 5.4 I’ll look into that. I was just gonna ask about swapping transmissions/case’s because mine already has a hard 2-3 shift that causes a leak(apparently common). And yeah I’m about to use that to tow a trailer 300 miles in FL durning a heat wave. Wish me luck! Lol

There’s a half plan for that, mostly just getting all 4 wheels to drive will make me happy for now, and when I kill the 5.4 I’ll look into that. I was just gonna ask about swapping transmissions/case’s because mine already has a hard 2-3 shift that causes a leak(apparently common). And yeah I’m about to use that to tow a trailer 300 miles in FL durning a heat wave. Wish me luck! Lol
4R100?

I’m not sure what trans it has. I’ll be under there today running wiring, I’ll see if I can’t find a tag on it.

I’m not sure what trans it has. I’ll be under there today running wiring, I’ll see if I can’t find a tag on it.
If it's the 4R100, I'd not waste a dime on it. They are great transmissions once you go through them, but you will have more money in it than it's worth. If it was mine, I'd get a 6R80 from a 5.0 F150 and use a standalone controller. You can get adapters for the standard 6 bolt transfer case pattern to use whatever you'd like to make it 4x4

Should be the 4r100 yes the 4r70w did t make it into vehicles that heavy behind the 5.4 only in the f250 no 350 or excursion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah it’s the 4r100, looked at a pic of one and compared, definitely not a 70w.
I guess I’ll be signing up over on a ford truck forum soon lol, I’ll let you know my user name. What’s a good one?
This is turning into a SWAP EVERYTHING 4x4!!!! Thread lol
No work on the ex today, all my extra time used up installing a new radio and backup camera in the short bus (excursion).

Back