5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 2to4wd 4406 and tons

Ford-trucks.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's the 4R100, I'd not waste a dime on it. They are great transmissions once you go through them, but you will have more money in it than it's worth. If it was mine, I'd get a 6R80 from a 5.0 F150 and use a standalone controller. You can get adapters for the standard 6 bolt transfer case pattern to use whatever you'd like to make it 4x4
I’m gonna look into this. Hypothetically, if I did a full manual valve body with a different shifter… would I need a controller?

I’m gonna look into this. Hypothetically, if I did a full manual valve body with a different shifter… would I need a controller?
Can you get a manual valve body for the 6R? The line pressure and shift points can be changed electronically, eliminating the need for the manual stuff.

Powerstrokenation.com good for excursion info and a good group of knowledgeable dudes

Here’s the excursion, just finished installing a single din head with a screen and a backup camera so when I show up to Uhaul tomorrow with the wrong ball and have to buy one at least I will be able to back up the the car trailer like I pro 😂.
Looked into the R680, the controller costs what it would to have my local transmission shop rebuild the 4r100. I’m thinking I might junkyard another but already 4wd and have it gone over, then attach a BW44** whatever that big manual one is. Seems easier to me, bolt in, less wiring to figure out.
Also I didn’t realize these doors were fiberglass. Had to clearance a corner for the camera to fit up and hidden. Went to bend it and it broke off. Works I guess.

IMG_4073.jpeg

better see the excursion like this in a few years.
1689974862966.png

Yeah years is correct lol. I do want to upgrade the mirrors, which seems easy. Just gotta figure out how to add all the wiring. Driver side only has like 2 wires or something and is manual, passenger is electric and I believe it’s defrosts.

What year is the excursion?

That is a beautiful truck!
i wish I had a low mile 6.0 excursion, I would bulletproof it and get rid of my 7.3
2-4"lift don't go taller or you lose the ride (arched springs)
a 2" lift for a superduty is a 4" lift on ex
with the 7.3 at least, 37's+ give you some highway gear (lower rpm at 75 mph)

That is a beautiful truck!
i wish I had a low mile 6.0 excursion, I would bulletproof it and get rid of my 7.3
2-4"lift don't go taller or you lose the ride (arched springs)
a 2" lift for a superduty is a 4" lift on ex
with the 7.3 at least, 37's+ give you some highway gear (lower rpm at 75 mph)
My roommate has a 6.0 excursion. He had a 99 F350 with a 7.3 it was a dog so he sold it to get a 2011 F250 with a 6.7.

16899919770234547785487914472141.jpg

7.3 is the tried and true 6.0 faster newer its like ohv 4.0 vs sohc 4.0 imo bulletproofed 6.0 cery reloable

True that!
Want to see our excursion? I built it up for my family it has served us well! Tough as nails
They actually wheel pretty good with bigger tires

It’s an 00, somebody already cut out the grill for halo lights, I just cut more and put in the 05 headlight.

It’s an 00, somebody already cut out the grill for halo lights, I just cut more and put in the 05 headlight.
The 5.0 coyote pcm can be uses to control the 6R80. There's a book you can buy that has the detailed wiring instructions for what needs to be done. The pcm gets tuned to work with your engine.

IMG_5820.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

Well that was a hell of a drive, trailer was sketchy AF, couldn’t go over 55. Took 6 hours to get back through every type of weather even hail. Yeah cured drive. Truck did awesome though, apparently it likes to work. Hard shift went about after about 150 miles under load. Idk

Anyway, relaxed the Sunday, had a few minutes after work today. Got the interior stripped back out of the ex and started figuring out insulation layout. Really tired of the flooring being on my pull-up bar.
This padding look correct to y’all? I’m gonna ad a layer of the self adhesive stiff on most of the floor under this and attach the padding to that with spry 77. Probably going to need to use a heat gun on the vinyl to get it perfect. Or let it sit in the FL sun for a couple days 😂
IMG_4099.jpeg

Update
Got the floors all installed, not prefect, should have listened to @410Fortune about the sport flooring. The rock auto stuff works, but it’s not great. Oh well whatever.
Everthing is back in the cab, still need new seats/rails of some kind.
Got the shift boot holder thing fabricobbled, installed, and working wonderfully! Now I just have to pull it back apart, paint, and insulate it.

IMG_4165.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4169.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back