• Register Today It's free!

5.0 CAM Help

Accarguy

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I am going to upgrade the cam in my 5.0 and I have narrowed it down to 2. I want to know if anyone has any opinions on either. This is my daily driver. Both are from Comp. I am leaning toward the second one.

SPECS:

XE266HR
35-514-8
RPM 1600-5600 Lobe Sep 112 Center line 108
Duration
Int EX
266 274
Lift
544 555

XE270HR
35-310-8
RPM 1500-5500 Lobe Sep 112 Center line 110
Duration
Int EX
270 276
Lift
533 544

Obviously the second is a bit more aggressive, but how aggressive is the million dollar question.
Thanks for the input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both are far too aggressive without tuning. If you can tune it you'll still probably want a stall to help get this pig moving.

I've got the 258hr 35-510-8 grind and it's great. Very rarely it does stall on hot restart and immediately dropping into gear but it I wait a few seconds it's fine. No misfire codes either.

What do you mean by stall?

The 35-510-8 looks like the more popular one to go with and says it is a great factory replacement. And it says the 35-514-8 has a slight idle though.

How is the idle/ roughness of yours. Do you by chance have a video of it?

thanks for the input

Sorry. In the first instance I was talking about a torque converter with a higher stall speed. Allows the engine to rev higher before effectively transferring torque.

Second mention I mean the engine dies.

In my case it's only slightly rougher than stock. No lope. Wish it had just a little.

Before cam.
https://youtu.be/EfSBMVLbqt8

After cam.
https://youtu.be/RbrG6fCy80A

Your fine. So you would recommend getting a torque converter then? Do you have one?

What did you do for a tune in yours?

thanks for the input

My cam has about the same duration as stock but a ton more lift. It drives like stock until you get on it. No need for a higher stall converter.

I haven't tuned it yet. Still looking into options

I have the standard 266HR in mine (35-308-8).

Mild rumble and plenty of bottom end guts.

Dyno Tune did wonders.

I am pulling a 5500# boat so it helps get out off the ramp.

I have the Comp XE276HR in my Stang and it is a very wild cam. Very lopy idle that sounds beautiful but I would not go near that big in my EX. My Mustang needed a high stall converter ( 9.5'' 3000 stall) to work correctly with that cam.

Comp makes an Extreme 4x4 cam series for some engines but not for the 5.0 that I have seen. I have an Extreme 4x4 cam in my built 460 and it is perfect for a 4x4 or suv. It has explosive power right off idle and pulls hard to about 5500 rpm with a nice lopy idle.

If they made the Extreme 4x4 for the 5.0 I'd go for that in a heart beat.

I know this don't directly answer your question but the first two you posted are close to my Stang cam.

Keep in mind if you need to go thru emissions and can't get a tune having a lopey cam will throw a p0300.

My s10 has a 276hr iirc. Nice lope especially for a v6 but does have a random misfire stored. Ford computers are more sensitive than GM in picking up and pinpointing misfires too.

Thanks for all the input
[MENTION=290160]VR4[/MENTION] I just saw your youtube videos and you are right there is not much of a difference at idle between the two.
If i went with the 270 it would not be as aggressive than your 276 and I am probably going to get it dyno tuned after I am all done.

Please share if you have a cam in your 5.0 Thanks!

In case someone is considering Trick Flow's 'Track Max' stage 2 cam, I wouldn't recommend it. Way too much duration for a semi-stock engine in a heavy truck. Maybe if I'd had a matching torque converter and more compression. No power through almost 3000RPM, then pulling like a freight train when the 4R70W shifts at just below 5000. It would also help to get a tune to adjust the shift points.

The things you learn when you get the wrong cam in the box...

Back