5.0 rear gear ratio options

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
What gear options were available for the 5.0 models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@jd4242 Hmm, this is a very interesting question. If my memory serves me correctly, the 5.0 was only available with the 3.73, 3.55, and perhaps 3.27 ratios, but I don't remember why I think that.

This page contains a list of all the axle codes (on the door stickers) and their meanings, but doesn't specify which ones were available with which engines. I might be going to the junk yard after the sun comes up, I can check door stickers to see which codes exist within this small sample of V8's. That will at least be a start. Hopefully others will join this quest, or may be somebody already knows the answer. The rest of the Internet doesn't seem to be aware that axle gears exist.

@jd4242 Hmm, this is a very interesting question. If my memory serves me correctly, the 5.0 was only available with the 3.73, 3.55, and perhaps 3.27 ratios, but I don't remember why I think that.

This page contains a list of all the axle codes (on the door stickers) and their meanings, but doesn't specify which ones were available with which engines. I might be going to the junk yard after the sun comes up, I can check door stickers to see which codes exist within this small sample of V8's. That will at least be a start. Hopefully others will join this quest, or may be somebody already knows the answer. The rest of the Internet doesn't seem to be aware that axle gears exist.
From what i know they were only available with 3.55 open and 3.73 ls..

But someone wanted to fight tooth and nail saying they were only available with 3.73 ls

@jd4242 Nah, pretty sure the 3.55 was an option, may be not for every year or something, but I'm positively sure I've seen some of the guys here with 5.0's and 3.55's... unless they swapped different gears in and went taller and not shorter (nobody here should be doing that).

Mine is a D4, 3.73 LS

I think awd were all 373. I can't remember seeing a 3.55 front diff.

The awd V8 has swinging control arms on the rear axle. I've never seen a 355 or 410 axle with the control arm tabs welded to it. Only 373 axles have those tabs

All second gen V8s are 3.73s. There have been a few members who claimed otherwise (including a guy who swore he had TWO 5.0s with 4.10s) but they always flake out and disappear when it’s time to post their door stickers.

ALL 5.0 trucks left the factory with 3.73 gears

ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had two RWD with open rear diffs
All the rest (more then 50 I have owned) are 3.73 limited slip

finding some 4.1 diffs from a v6 Eddie or Sport is a nice bolt in upgrade

ALL 5.0 trucks left the factory with 3.73 gears

ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had two RWD with open rear diffs
All the rest (more then 50 I have owned) are 3.73 limited slip

finding some 4.1 diffs from a v6 Eddie or Sport is a nice bolt in upgrade
See alllll the info I've found said that the 3.73 were only available in ls...and any that ive heard of people having or saying they had 3.55 open were rwd

wrong

ALL 5.0 are 3.73

I'm not kidding, I'm not making this up, I've been here doing this since 1999
I've crushed more 5.0 trucks and sold more 8.8 axles then 98% of the people on all Ranger forums combined
I've had 19 explorers at my house at ONE TIME
You can listen to me if you would like, or choose not to, you decide

not trying to sound arrogant either, this just happens to be a FACT

I've got a 3.55 v8 awd truck at my shop right now

20221006_094903.jpg 20221006_094718.jpg

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME
VIn says P that's a 5.0
So now what gives? 45 = 3.55 Have you checked the actual ratio? Could it be a misprint?
HAHAHAHAHAHA Now I feel dumb, which is okay
This is how we learn

Thanks Boomin for flipping my whole world upside down!

The golden goose egg has been posted

What gear options were available for the 5.0 models?
3.73 only! in the 99 brochure it lists a 355 but no they are all 373 i learned!

edit: woah.

From what im told starting in 99 was options

3.73 only! in the 99 brochure it lists a 355 but no they are all 373 i learned!
You not see the post above..thats a 5.0 with 3.55 open gears..

You not see the post above..thats a 5.0 with 3.55 open gears..
yeah, i only saw your original post, since recently the forum does this thing where i click reply and it opens a seperate tab so i can only reply to one at a time once in a while. i was just replying to your what ratios were available post. now i see the rest if it 😂

@jd4242 For what this is worth (having read the rest of this thread) all the V8 Ex's at the junk yard (somewhere in the scope of 3) had axle code D4, 3.73 limited slip. I saw many other axle codes on many other Explorers, but only D4 on the V8's.

@boominXplorer Good on ya, you've found the proof we were all looking for!

Off topic, but they have like seven 2-doors there and one of 'em is a Navajo... too bad I don't have infinite money, I'd start an Explorer junk yard.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME
VIn says P that's a 5.0
So now what gives? 45 = 3.55 Have you checked the actual ratio? Could it be a misprint?
HAHAHAHAHAHA Now I feel dumb, which is okay
This is how we learn

Thanks Boomin for flipping my whole world upside down!
Haven't checked the actual diff ratio under the cover but what I can tell you with the front shaft out it is definitely an open rear diff. One tire fire for sure. The other 2 v8 trucks I have are 3.73 ls though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crazy. My SOHC 4x4 has the 45 axle code

I wonder what the difference is…in terms of how you end up ordering a V8 AWD with the 3.55 axles

Back