5.0L Headers- Who wants some? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L Headers- Who wants some?

those dont look much better than stock and definitely not better than the fms which arent too hot either

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by SVO LOU
That was my intent, to try and get a little bug going in JBA's ear.
For JBA customer questions

Lou.

Everyone should go to that link and fill out there request. I submitted my request.

Its the only way we're ever going to get some made. Even if you have to ask some friends to just inquire about them would help.

Z~

Please count me in for a set of headers.

Oreokid: Good thought, but those ARE the stock manifolds. Those seem to be the late model cast iron units, 96s and 97s had Stainless manifolds.

IbuyToys: I thought I was keeping the list - but you're more than welcome to take over as the next few weeks will be pretty busy for me.

I too emailed JBA. We'll See. But I'm really interested in BlkMk 8's headers.

Question for BlkMk8: what about engine bay clearance and heat with the bigger headers? Have any photos?

Heck, both of us can keep a list but I'm keeping count so when we get close to 25 I can call my contact at JBA and get the green light.

i have no pictures yet. but i should have some soon.

I would like to get a set but i would need then by the end of november cause that is when i am planing on having my v8 conversion on my ranger finished.

I saw the guy from JBA at the car show I was in. I felt like going up to him and asking him what was up with our headers:frustrate. I didn't though, sorry. :banghead:

The count is up to 21 so far. We're almost there.......

22, C'mon we need 3 more.......and hopefully nobody backs out.

Count me in. I am just looking to rid myself of the "tick" that comes from the engine bay. More performance is just an added bonus.

How much do you project that these will cost? Maybe we should get the attention of Explorer Express and they can help do a "buy in." I just talked to John today and he said that for them to put out the $10,000 it would take to have JBA do a run, R&D, and make about 25 sets, they would need all 25 sets spoken for.

However, he projected that it would be 6months to a year away before we would see headers hit our doorsteps. :(

sign me up for a set!

Even if it took 6 months, do we have any other choice?

Heck, we're at 24, I'm calling JBA tomorrow.

The EE idea is a good one!

24 so far is great. Good luck on the phone tomorrow, Ibuytoys.

EE would be a terrific direct retail outlet for the headers to performance explorer modders, but JBA can also sell headers through all thier normal distribution channels to stores and catalogs such as Summit Racing, Jegs, even JCWhitney, etc.

The explorer is the #1 SUV out there, even if this is only 1 of 3 engines. I'm surprised no-one has jumped on this. I'm guessing one of the biggest reasons is the cramped engine bay. Heat is the #1 issue - I don't want my new headers to set my truck on fire.

I'd like to see plans/proposals as well as price and time to completion from both JBA and BlkMk8 before I commit to anything. I think I speak for all of us on this one.

Good point about not limiting the header supply to JUST Explorer Express. That would be a serious disadvantage to all of us, because then the aftermarket headers would be monopolized.

Someone on the other msg board that I hang out on works for JBA and we are hoping to get his attention and re-direct him to this thread. Hopefully JBA will see the opportunity to make the explorer crowd happy and make a little bit of money while they are at it. (read: NOT gouging the needy)

It would not be a disadvantage for Explorer Express to be involved with getting these headers made. We would be able to offer these at the best price we could. If we have to make the initial investment, we need to be the exclusive distributor. I have done a lot of leg work on this. To produce a header from design to production is an expensive task. I honestly do not see many manufactures willing to produce these. Companies like Summit, Jegs & JC Whitney are not like to make an investment in order to have these headers made. These companies do not sponsor this web site either. We may have to go with an independent manufacture that would make custom ones, that is likely to be expensive. I know there are a few indivisuals that have the capabilities to do so. But, it will take a while for one guy to make 25 sets of headers.

By the way, I talked to John at JBA (SALES MANAGER) this morning and he said there are too many issues related to the design of the headers. They do not want to be involved with the design phase. We could contract them to knock off the original Ford Motorsport Header. That would still require an investment. Many members have expressed that they want a large tube header. JBA says it would not be a good idea.

I will be attending the SEMA Show in November. This will give me the opportunity to take another hard look for possibilities. It is going to be hard to get headers made for the V8. If the membership of this site is not behind us on this project we probably will not go through with it.

i will continue in my endevor to try and make headers for these guys. when i said big tube shorties i meant something bigger then the little size the SVO's are and the stockers. when i make then they will be a good size for the all round explorer. most big companies will not touch a project like this. you need a smaller company that specializes in smaller markets like me or explorerexpress. i opened my company just for this reson because i have a passion for making these go fast and helping people out and the poor explorers are so neglected compared to other markets.

What size are the primary tubes on the FMS shorty headers? 1-1/2" or 1-5/8"??
What size would JBA plan on running if they made a knock-off of the FMS headers?

I think everyone would much rather have an option of some aftermarket headers, rather than having to go custom (expensive) or go with the Ford factory units (expensive). Even if they are just a knock-off of the FMS headers, they would have to be better than the stock units. For JBA to go with a slightly larger tubing than the FMS units, it would not involve that much extra work.

However, JBA doesn't always suggest that bigger is better.

I know that on my 88 5.0 with the 1-5/8" shorties that I put on it, the primaries are still bigger than the actual exhaust ports. I realize that this may be on the older E7 heads and that they do not flow as well as the GT40's, but even still, I think anything over 1-1/2" or 1-5/8" primaries would be overkill. Even JBA recommends that for the 96+ DOHC cobras, one should stick to 1-1/2" shorties if you don't have aftermarket heads, porting, etc.

Just my .02 on the situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all your help BlkMk8 - I look forward to seeing photos of your headers and a price.

I guess all we can do now is wait.

Back