'91 Explorer is losing power when I turn my headlights on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 Explorer is losing power when I turn my headlights on.

rredd91ex

Reaction score
City, State
Allegan,MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB 4X4
Hello I cannot figure out what is going on when I start up my ex and go to turn on the headlights I loose power to everything and it shuts off. Its fine when just the parking lights are on. Any ideas of where to start its a 91 ex?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 91-94 section. Clean your battery terminals, and check your charging system. Load test the battery once you determine that it's fully charged.

Thank you. I check the charging system and its good im getting 14.4v, and the battery passed a load test. Its not consistant sometimes its fine and other times it looses power.

I will check those tomorrow thank you.

Sorry its been crazy lately. So I changed out the battery cables and so far so good. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

...Thanks for the update...:biggthump

....Hopefully, your alt and battery did not suffer from the bad cables...

Hopefully not. I am having another issue when it is cold it spits and sputters during idle and especially when giving it throttle. I do let it sit and warm up for about 10 min. but when I first take off its bad. I am not getting a check engine light and when it is warm it runs like a top.

mine use to do a similar thing, cleaning my mass airflow unit and sensor didn't fix it so I kept on searching around. Mine also had a strangely high idle, around 1,100-1,300 rpm.

I cleaned my idle air control (IAC) and it runs a lot better, it generally has a some what high rev at start up but within 30 secs is around 600 rpm.

http://www.explorer4x4.com/iac.htm

That link will walk you through the process. It's cheap to clean it out so give it a try when time permits and let us know the results.

I cut corners on mine and used electric contact cleaner. I'm a full time student and live off of my student aid money that I get bi-monthly. I still need to really clean it out among other things. I just made sure I let it dry completely before putting it back on. :)

Hope this helps.

Back